This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1353 by BillyRich
Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:05 pm
Samick - Thanks for pointing out my bio discrepancy! I had to try 3 times to set up an account and almost gave up. So when I tried the 3rd time I left some fields blank that I thought were tripping out the free account. I keep going back to fill in the fields, but obviously missed some. So now I've maxed out the age/years played categories so I can be "old enough to know better" haha! I hope it sticks this time. :?

#1393 by RhythmMan
Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:04 am
Hey Billy R.,
Geez - from 18 to 99.
Man, I've had days where I started feeling 18, and wound up feeling 99.
:)
Now that you're 99, do I have to call you 'Mister Billy Rich?"
Alan

#1396 by BillyRich
Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:13 pm
I figure why change my age each year. This way I'm 99 until I really am 99.
Anyway, it's a perfect fit for the #9 songs I'm sorta into:
Beatles, '#9';
? And The Mysterians, '96 Tears'
Clovers, Searchers, Beatles, Nylons: 'Love Potion #9'
Razzy Bailey - 1966, Dicky Lee - 1976: '9,999,999 Tears To Go'
Rob Zombie: 'Perversion 99' (kinda weird but it gets a mention)
Doc & Merle Watson, 'Wreck of The Old #9' (NEW WORKING LINK) http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserv ... 22-9533534

Flatt & Scrugs, '99 Tears Is Almost for Life' (another sample here)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserv ... 02-7170436

THE BEST #99 SONG! KAREN LEHNER, 'A Prayer For Madeleine '99'
http://www.song-teksten.com/song_lyrics ... eleine_99/

And finally a little known song by The Channel 9 Team, 'The Channel 9 Song'. You can see / hear it at http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx? ... 332#118332). This tune will make you cry with joy, or cringe with pain.

Then there's the bands:
Brockett 99
Riot 99

I'm also into 99 cent specials, (and 38 Special) so...

oops.. back on subject ... I'm really like to use D9 chords. :lol:
Last edited by BillyRich on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

#1411 by RhythmMan
Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:23 pm
Billy R.

I think '96 Tears' was 'Jay' and The Mysterians, wasn't it?
A to Am, I think . . .
D9 - as in middle finger on the E string, 10th fret, playing 4 strings?
D9 - as in middle finger on the E string, 10th fret, playing 6 strings (including the open B and open E)
?
D9 - as in middle finger on the A string, 5th fret, not playing the E string?
D9 - as in middle finger on the E string, 5th fret, not playing the A string?

Or something else?
Alan

#1413 by Guest
Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:43 pm
We have recently developed a guitar chart...that is called the Master Chord Progression Guide. Basically an applied harmony-Key system Overview.
In thinking about the difficulty some folks have with music theory, led to the developemnt of a reference chart that uses Root tone colors, and Chord sound symbols. It is handy for Advanced chord Progression Composing, and way easier to learn. All chords are listed in playing orders. Will have it avail. on the market soon....Jonny rocker.

#1418 by BillyRich
Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:14 am
--- Samick ---
Actually '96 Tears' was done by Question Mark (?) And The Mysterians.
And he's from Michigan, near Lansing, btw. Yep, his legal name is now '?', lol! Crazy musicians anyway. Great story on them at:
http://www.tsimon.com/mysteria.htm

Jay was with Jay And The Americans of 'This Magic Moment' fame,
another awesome song! Interestingly, the 1st Jay, of The Americans, was in an earlier band called the Mystics. That's close to Mysterians.
Another good story on the same site about them: http://www.tsimon.com/jayamer.htm

Lastly, any D9 will do, as long as it fits (SEE NEW POST BELOW).

-- Johnny R ---
Wow, that's ambitious! Keep us posted so we know when it's complete.
Last edited by BillyRich on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1420 by Guest
Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:53 am
Bill: It's complete but we have just the kinko's laminated ones available now.....we haven't gone into full blown production....that's the next step...we have the copy write and trade mark registered. but will keep you all posted. Thanks.

#1424 by BillyRich
Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:20 pm
Sorry my previous D9 remark was so short. I'll expound on it a little for people who are trying to learn the 9th concept. The 9th is really just a 7th with an extra note. For example D9 is D7 chord with an E note added. Or put another way, D9 is a D chord with C and an E notes added.

Generally, the 9ths give a cool vibe to Blues, Funk & Jazz.
I'm always jumping from the open loc. to 5th, 10th, and 17th frets. Going from D7 to D9 works for me too as well as maj/min variants. A nice D13th with pinky 2 frets above the barre works from time to time.

Another reason I'm into D in general is the harmonics tap available at the 7th & 19th frets. This I mention because you get 3 strings together (D, G, B) to work with for D maj.

Also, a lot of songs are out of the basic G, A, and D keys (the easy ones haha) so D is always coming back to me. I guess you could say that me and D (my middle initial, btw) are pretty tight.

#1425 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:58 pm
BillyR,
Hmmm. Sounds like a good name for a song, "Me and Dee are Tight."
Alan

#1428 by BillyRich
Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:30 pm
Alan - Man I messed up! It should have read "D and I are Tight" to be grammatically correct. But I guess it's good enough for rock and roll.

And a retraction is in order: I need to remove Rob Zombie's, 'Perversion 99', from my 9's song list. I just found out it's on the CD "HELLBILLY DELUXE", Now how weird is that! Well at least it's instrumental and no strange lyrics (except the 'hidden" ones). :(

#1464 by RhythmMan
Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:17 pm
Anybody else?
Do you use or know 6ths, 7th's or 9ths?
Just click "Post Reply," below - it's easy . . . .
Alan

#1465 by RhythmMan
Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:20 pm
Samick1 wrote:Hmm, Billy . . .
You like "D9" & "99"
You should do a song where you play a "D" note in the song exactly 99 times. :) But it would probably take you a month just to figure it out!

Anybody else?
Do you use or know 6ths, 7th's or 9ths?
Just click "Post Reply," below - it's easy . . . .
Alan

#1557 by exitreality
Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 am
Hi. I am a guitarist/keyboardist/singer from the Detroit area. I like your idea of getting people to think about the makeup of the music. I played guitar for many years and didnt bother to learn anything more than 7ths maj7 and m7. Then I got into piano. On the piano, it just clicked with me. I now know how to construct 6th 7th 9th 11th 13th etc. I play mostly rock and blues covers so learning your chords makes a difference.

Matt

#1558 by PNV
Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 pm
Hey Samick
Seems what ever chord I guy plays it dosen't matter as long as it fits the song. You can change the feel of any song just by changing one chord in the progression. I use chords I have never seen on any chart. As far as 6th amd 9ths- I use them all the time-hopefully in the right spot! Keep on jammin and have fun!

#1560 by RhythmMan
Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:06 pm
Hey, mcintom2004: Matt,
I always "knew" I was going to end up playing keys, because of some of the many things one can do on keys that you can't do on guitar.
Then, in 1983, I had an accident which resulted in the bones in my right forearm becoming fused. Now I can't twist my right hand to play keys: it's always in the position it'd be in to hold a mug of coffee. 90 degrees off, with my thumb straight up.
That's one goal shot down. Playing key's with one hand wasn't my goal.
Thank God my broken arm didn't affect my guitar playing, too.
Yeah, with covers, learning the right chord can make all the difference in the world, although sometimes you can substitute.
I've found that substitutions can sometimes be better, sometimes worse, and sometimes unoticeable to the average listener.
I'm always amazed that, when I show my 'significant other' the difference between 2 chords, that often she can't hear any difference.
Although her 'music-listening-ability' is well above average, she usually doesn't hear the difference unless I play the 2 chords 8 or 10 times.
But I can sure hear the difference.
Often, to get a sound that is 5% or 10% more pleasing to me, I'll play a chord that is 500% - 800% harder to play. Then the whole song has to slow down, to give me time to finger the 'better' chord.
What was that chord again? An H-Maj9 sus 13 w/a a flat 7th, add 4th?
Thanks for your input, Matt
Last edited by RhythmMan on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.