This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144393 by Sharn
Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 pm
I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me a little advice and some constructive criticism please. I have managed to upload a short demo to put on my profile. It is only short as it wouldn't allow me to upload more that 10 mb. Anyway, I recorded it at my new imac (not done this before) using garageband and at the same time using backing from youtube karaoke track and words on screen. Here is the link to me http://www.bandmix.co.uk/sharn/

I'd love to be part of a band and be able to perform with them but don't know if I am good enough. I lack confidence, however have done a little in the past and I did get encored, but that was ages ago. I was asked to join some musicians and turned up weekly but nothing came of it and I hardly got to sing as they mainly made up instrumental pieces with no lyrics.

#144491 by gbheil
Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 am
Beauty ( or talent ) is in the eyes ( or ears ) of the beholder.

Don't ask me if you could or should.

If you have the desire ... do it!

And strive ever toward improvement.

Some will find pleasure and others only fault.

[i]All we can hope to control is our efforts.[/i]

#147255 by drag57
Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 pm
go for it,the vocals just sound a little dry.

#148319 by Sharn
Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:23 pm
Thank you both. What does dry mean 5KVJOHN? And how do overcome this?

#149165 by PaperDog
Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:29 am
Sharn wrote:Thank you both. What does dry mean 5KVJOHN? And how do overcome this?

I'm pretty sure it just means the voice needs to be EQ'd. If you can drum up some minor cash, get to a studio nearby and lay down the voice track proper...(shouldn't take more than an hour)

If songs are like cupcakes, the trouble with critiquing raw demos, is that they are sort of like the raw cake mix... good enough to lick a spoon, but not ready enough to serve it up at a meal... Its rather difficult to criticize or praise flour... :lol:

#149323 by Mister D
Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:57 pm
I think you have a great voice, go for it!

#152023 by Veggie
Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 am
The is only one tip I always pass on to singers, because as previously stated in the replies here, there is no right or wrong, some folks will love you, some folks will hate you but there is always a balance if enough folks hear you. The advice is this. Own it, feel the words, believe in them, let the emotion come from within. You must sing with a passion that makes the words live. Your demo is just that, it is a demo. Sounds cool enough but an hour or two in a studio with a decent mic and some light effects will really get you excited about what you are doing. Go For it!!

#152205 by Davethesinger
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:32 pm
Well I gave your demo a listen and despite the recording quality I can see nothing wrong with the quality of your voice. Maybe try to relax a little more and don't be too "precise". Listen to Norah Jones and a few of the great female artists and see how thy phrase things slightly out of time to add a relaxed feel.
I've been singing in bands since I was 16 so I think I'm qualified to judge (http://www.bandmix.co.uk/davethesinger/)
If you want to build up some experience/confidence and meet other musicians I suggest going along to a local open mic night. Learn one or two standards and ask if you can get up with a few other players (the host of the night will generally help you on that front). Don't be overwhelmed by the other artistes/players, remember they've been doing it for years!
Whereabouts in staffordshire are you based? I can maybe suggest a few places and people to speak to.

Dave

:D :)

#152982 by Ben Lourie
Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 am
I had a good listen & think you have potential & most certainly should not give up! Well done

#153001 by Sharn
Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:15 pm
Thank you all for taking the time to listen and reply; it has helped my confidence no end and I really do want to do this. I really appreciate what has been said by everyone. Fingers crossed something will work out. Thank you :D

#173095 by XhaDoW-6
Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm
Yali wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z3mdv6PSOA

You definitely have it in you I just ask that you please Not waste your voice in one of those a icky cover bands

#183377 by Sharn
Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 am
Thank you for all the replies.
I have discovered that I can do this! I am absolutely loving it but want to go to the next level and need advice to do so. I have been working with a guitarist and drummer and we have built up a small set list and had lots of fun going to open mic sessions in the area. I will continue to do this but have been advised to go for bigger and better things by a few ex professional musicians. One has suggested doing weddings which he said I could do alone with a backing track or else with a band. I have had other professionals actually taking the time to come over to me and say very positive things, but haven't had anyone who has actually asked me to join them as I suppose they are all in established groups.
My confidence has really grown and I am hungry for this now and absolutely loving it.
Any advice on finding the right group to join or building something up with like minded musicians? I have been very lucky with the two men I've worked with so far and am indebted to them for their support and patience as without them I don't think I'd be buzzing quite as much as I am now.
I am doing quite a range including:
Jolene, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrw, Mercy, Perfect, Need You Now, Dreams, You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man, Summertime, Upside Down, Nothing Sweet About Me, Masterpiece, Mr. Rock and Roll, Mercedes Benz and others. I can sing softly and controlled and do folk type songs but I can also power them out as in Mercedes Benz and Summertime. I think I've surprised a few people. I am petite but have been told I have a big voice.
Anyone viewing my profile and listening to the recording, please be aware I have improved a lot since then in terms of confidence and I suppose technique
Any advice appreciated and very welcome. :roll: