This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#61341 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:00 pm
I'd say plenty of people who want to hear music and plenty of musicians who want to play it.

#61361 by Andragon
Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm
Interesting topic. Well, if you look at some BIG scenes in rock history, like the Seattle scene and the Bay Area scene, you'll notice they all had something in common other than the style of music they played. It was either the message they're trying to convey or their attitude towards something.

Now if you're talking bout just "pointless" scenes, well, I suppose it's a lot of popular bars and venues that encourage/attract live bands.

#61393 by philbymon
Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 am
You have asked the single most important question a musician can ask.

We're all trying to find that answer. There was a time, just a few decades ago, when live music was widespread, clubs were packed, and bands got great money for their work. It had been like that since the twenties, here in the states. Even during the Great Depression, musicians were doing better than your average joes, & the clubs went underground during prohibition & STILL everyone made money & audiences had good times.

In the live venue's heyday, what was different than what we have now?

Bands dressed up, for one thing. They took the art of entertaining seriously. They did floor shows, with special skits or comedians or magicians used to break up the monotony of simple music.

I think that, today, musicians are apt to be an exclusive bunch. "Let the music speak for itself" is their motto, & it fails, continually, to entertain ppl. Let's face it. You can get good music ANYWHERE - in your car, at work, on your phone, in stores, it's everywhere! Who's gonna give a damn if you have great music live, if they can get it o/l?

Give your audiences something EXTRA. ENTERTAIN THEM, & they'll come. Sure, there's a new fad that comes along once in awhile that draws ppl - the grunge or new version of metal or whatever. But if you want ppl to go out of their way to see your act, or to continually come to your venue, you need to offer them MORE than just music. Give them a show. Mix it up. Do things differently. Make it fun with a capital EFF!!!!

Otherwise, imho, you may as well sit there in your studio & upload your sh*t o/l & try to sell it, cuz only your best friends will come to see your boring-assed act, & THEY'll only come for awhile before they get bored, too.

Live music is work, & it's much more involved than simply providing great music - it requires the entertaining of the ppl. Just frikken do it!

(Now, if only I could find others of like mind to prove my f*cking point!)

#61398 by gbheil
Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 am
Phil: That little tirade was brilliant. Print that on a T-shirt, I want one.

Truth is easy to find here. Mix Phils comment on entertaining with Capt. Scott's simple but pure expalnation and there you have the answer to your question.

We get soooo hung up on our tone or our lyrical content that we forget that the audence came for entertainment. :wink:

All one need do is look at the success of KISS, then GO DO IT !!

#61433 by philbymon
Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 am
Yeah...I wanna hire me some midget wrestlers (or strippers?) to do a little show (pun intended) during our intermissions. I"ll bet that would draw a goodly croud that might just follow us around for awhile!

You venue owners are as responsible for the "entertainment factor" as the musicians are. If you put some frikken thought into it, you would be hiring only the entertaining acts, rather than just anyone off the street. Try it. It just might make your place the area's favorite. Or don't even leave it up to the bands. Hire a comedy team to do a lil improv between band sets this week, & a goofy juggling act next week. I guarantee if you have the corner on entertainment in your area, you'll get the most profits from it.

#61493 by gbheil
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 am
Dang Phil, why dont we (bands) have our own intermission entertainment? :idea:

#61747 by Kramerguy
Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:35 am
philbymon wrote:Yeah...I wanna hire me some midget wrestlers (or strippers?) to do a little show (pun intended) during our intermissions. I"ll bet that would draw a goodly croud that might just follow us around for awhile!

You venue owners are as responsible for the "entertainment factor" as the musicians are. If you put some frikken thought into it, you would be hiring only the entertaining acts, rather than just anyone off the street. Try it. It just might make your place the area's favorite. Or don't even leave it up to the bands. Hire a comedy team to do a lil improv between band sets this week, & a goofy juggling act next week. I guarantee if you have the corner on entertainment in your area, you'll get the most profits from it.

I could see a problem if the fans/patrons liked the inbetween acts better than the band though. I'd rather work contests and raffles, giveaways, etc.. into our show rather than rely on someone else to entertain the crowd and possibly steal my thunder.

#67005 by Haightdays
Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 am
Take everyone's game station box play whyy from them, give up texting and actually use the phone as it was intended - to generate social skills and networks. Learn a musical instrument, collaborate, form band that actually have some original ideas instead of ripping off the jam and the special or do what I'm doing and start a tribute band! Legal copyright infringement!

#67013 by philbymon
Mon May 11, 2009 1:07 pm
Kramer - it's apples & oranges. The audience gets a visual &/or comical show when they aren't dancing. I don't think the short intermission shows will replace the music, & I'm not afraid of others stealing my thunder, as long as the music's good. AND it gives you a slightly longer break. Let's face it - it worked for decades, man, what do you have to fear?

Haight - let your audience text everyone they know about how entertaining you are. Stop infringing! LOL Good luck & well-met.

#67902 by ted_lord
Tue May 19, 2009 7:01 pm
yah, I've known more then a few people who've gone to see GWAR just for the stage show, not the music, personally I think the best stage shows are ones that accent the music, pink floyd, tool, or bands who ARE the stage show, emerson lake and palmer anyone? I mean damn a 12 foot tall drum kit is pretty eye catching as is a keyboardist rockin a keyboard in front of an amp, oh well

#67912 by Chippy
Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 pm
In my humble opinion. It is people.

#68367 by Black57
Sun May 24, 2009 4:58 am
Here's my $.02. I love playing live. The best way to nurture it is to get out and play it. With the economy the way it is, we have to find ways to barter. I have a meeting with fellow music teachers on Wednesday and I want to suggest that we begin performing at the brand new coffee shop that opened recently. With coffee shops ( Starbuck's namey ) closing everywhere, offering free, live music may help pull in more customers for the shop while advertizing for the music store. From a teaching viewpoint, the school district is no longer offering music in the elementary level. So we need to figure out a way to get K-6 kids interested in music that are not getting it in the schools. Music must be nurtured, I don't care if I have to go to the bus station and work for tips. It must be nurtured especially where it does not exist.

A band that I learned a lot from was a, now defunct metal band called Lazuras. I saw them in concert once at the Rib Burn Off. They were outstanding. They had great stage presence. They entertained and they were tight and cool. It is too bad that band is no longer around. They had star potential as rock musicians/artists. T

#152988 by Hellwyck
Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:51 pm
Manchester and the surrounding area has a superb rock and metal scene.

Every Thursday, the Grand Central pub houses a free entry gig night with 2-4 really good unsigned and signed bands. These gigs are usually packed out every week and are heavily promoted.

Our scene has many good rock and metal bands that hang out together, play locally (and sometimes tour) together and help each other out with amps, each when and if needed.

Basically, a good scene will have not only good bands but a good fanbase and a good community backing it up.