This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#151150 by RGMixProject
Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 pm
Chaeya wrote:I think it's great RG. My friends have a band who are all in their 20s they have a metal band and they do some of those songs. They have a primarily young audience and they do great.

We were at Disneyland yesterday and there was an 80s band playing in Tomorrowland. They were doing everything from the 80s to now, but what got me was they did Barracuda by Heart then did "Peek-A-Boo" by Siouxsie and the Banshees. Not many people remember that song, but I will say that everybody was dancing and having a great time.

So if you guys are good and you can do it in a style that gets people up and partying - who cares?

Chaeya

there ya go, another great idea, thanks

#151151 by RGMixProject
Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:52 pm
TheJohnny7Band wrote:
Paleopete wrote:I have to wonder, why did you resurrect a thread that was dead and buried over 2 years ago????

By request from RGMix.

FB,
Our first two sets are very pop and pretty close to the original tracks. By the third set we get a bit more AOR and let the dogs out a little. Some of the old Hendrix, Deep Purple, Surf gets pretty wild and free. Remember we are a cover band playing tunes everyone knows. No originals but we do put our own stamp on most songs and avoid parroting songs note for note. That is the difference between a cover band and a tribute band.

That is so true, and thanks a million for posting your set list. There is a couple of songs on there we have totally forgot about. Wow, thanks again

#151391 by Chris Biggar
Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:30 pm
My band is breaking up after a year of gigging because of my insistence on not playing the same old songs. I'm 55 years old and when I started this band my vision was to play deep cuts and great guitar oriented songs. I was talked into playing the same old songs I've been playing to get out gigging quickly instead of taking our time to learn some harder quality tunes. I think I've found some like thinking musicians to start over with.

#151394 by jimmydanger
Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 am
Chris, you are at the point of life where you cannot compromise. If you don't need their measly $100 or whatever screw 'em. Best of luck.

#208388 by RGMixProject
Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:22 pm
Any new bands here pls post your set list.
If you changed your old set list I would love to see that.
TIA

#208416 by Cajundaddy
Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:09 pm
We are finalizing our list for 2013 right now. Testing a bunch of new songs and weeding out the dead wood. Will check back next month.

#208501 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 am
cool thread :)

#208511 by Planetguy
Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm
what are these "set list" thingies you speak of?????

played two Planet Jazz gigs this weekend. corporate gig fri/restaurant gig sat.
we never use a set list list but will just call the next tune as one is getting close to ending. sometimes we'll just call the first two or three and then see what's working.

to the best of my memory this is what we ending up playing 1st set at saturday's gig.

Song For My Father - Horace Silver
Get On The Soul Ship - Crusaders
Blue Monk - Thelonius Monk
Equinox - John Coltrane
Hang Tough - Alan Toussaint
Summertime - Gershwin
That Was Your Mother - Paul Simon
Little Sunflower - Freddie Hubbard
Too Many Cooks - Robert Cray
Birks Works - Dizzy Gillespie