This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#146575 by Stone Blue Steel
Sat May 14, 2011 8:48 pm
Wow, let's not forget Doug Pinnick from KINGS X! Need I say anymore?
#146910 by PaperDog
Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 am
5KVJOHN wrote:i find it very strange that there are no blacks in metal.blacks showed the white man how to rock n roll.there would be nothing but country if that did`nt happen.and it took a black man to show the white man how to rock(hendrix).there would be noting but beach boys music if not for hendrix.so the question is what happend?why no blacks in metal in general.living color did`nt last and is only one.

One my Black buds tells me its because it doesn't "craft well in the soul..." My guess is that means its not part of African American cultural expression. Hendrix was not Metal...He was "Acid rock". Beach Boys... I never understood the wide appeal...
#146932 by PaperDog
Sat May 21, 2011 5:32 pm
I said nasty things here but Sky John And I made up since...So I am removing the evil things I said.

As for blacks and Metal...There seems to be many in this day and age...

"And So, said the teapot
to the kettle...
I'm calling you black
and you're calling me metal.
My spout can whistle, your lid can rumble,
I''ll sing the missile , you tap a double...
And all was good ...and all was humble...
Last edited by PaperDog on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

#148880 by AsyLum Band
Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 am
The lead singer from Sevendust is black..if they're counted as metal
#278470 by schmedidiah
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 am
Body Count is hardcore Punk, but close enough I guess
#278592 by Something Clever 99
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm
This is an old post so I'm not going to argue with the questionable/ really frustrating things I've seen in this forum. However I did want to say that I am a black person who likes to listen to/ write lyrics for/ sing in the pop-punk, metalcore, and country genres you guys seem to think are dead to black people. I also want to say that the reason more black people aren't in the scene is because when the ideal image is skinny an pale with long hair or pale white men with lumberjack beards it can be hard to get taken seriously. and there is also the matter of there being added negative assumptions/ reactions (more than white people face) to black people expressing the anger that often comes along with metalcore performances.

that being said if any other people of color in the scene want to talk or form a band I'd love it if you would get in touch.
#278740 by schmedidiah
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 am
sorry about that. this is a really old thread and the site does allow a lot of meatheads to voice opinions, even with troll-like frequency. I would welcome anyone of any color or body type to play metal music. would I listen to it? only if it fit in the sub-genres I prefer, but that's another metal story for another metal day.
#278964 by Mordgeld
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:38 pm
Something Clever 99 wrote:This is an old post so I'm not going to argue with the questionable/ really frustrating things I've seen in this forum. However I did want to say that I am a black person who likes to listen to/ write lyrics for/ sing in the pop-punk, metalcore, and country genres you guys seem to think are dead to black people. I also want to say that the reason more black people aren't in the scene is because when the ideal image is skinny an pale with long hair or pale white men with lumberjack beards it can be hard to get taken seriously. and there is also the matter of there being added negative assumptions/ reactions (more than white people face) to black people expressing the anger that often comes along with metalcore performances.

that being said if any other people of color in the scene want to talk or form a band I'd love it if you would get in touch.

I'll admit I'm not a country fan but I've heard some black folks around here (I'm in Nor Cal) doing some really good country vocals at Karaoke so I would say the stigma of any genre lives in the mind of people that don't really get how music brings people together.

I'll be covering a little bit of metalcore here with a band and I am the only pale white guy in it, plus it is female fronted. Since talent isn't a color, I'm sure those people with wrong-headed assumptions are in for a surprise, lol. I don't have the long hair anymore and I couldn't grow a lumberjack beard to save my life. All that matters is that we bring it doing what we love to do. At my old studio, there used to be a black R&B drummer that would come around and jam with us. He played to some of our songs that he liked and our singer knows a fair bit of the R&B that he could play. Good times. I think a positive experience does more than anything to draw people of all colors to metal.
#279620 by BiggNoyz1
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:14 am
Black death, was a very good band . Being a Funkadelic I find that most of the funk bands have always maintained an element of metal.A black band that totally committed to the metal genre has has been a challenge for the black community historically. I would definitely invite you guys to check out Funkadelic Maggot Brain