This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144392 by Sharn
Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm
I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me a little advice and some constructive criticism please. I have managed to upload a short demo to put on my profile. It is only short as it wouldn't allow me to upload more that 10 mb. Anyway, I recorded it at my new imac (not done this before) using garageband and at the same time using backing from youtube karaoke track and words on screen. Here is the link to me http://www.bandmix.co.uk/sharn/

I'd love to be part of a band and be able to perform with them but don't know if I am good enough. I lack confidence, however have done a little in the past and I did get encored, but that was ages ago. I was asked to join some musicians and turned up weekly but nothing came of it and I hardly got to sing as they mainly made up instrumental pieces with no lyrics.

#144395 by Jahva
Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm
I need some.....
You need some what? :shock:
That was the shortest song I've ever listened to.
Sharn,
3 seconds is kinda tough to figure out. You need to convert your file so you can post a little more than that. Don't know what file format you downloaded but 3 sec. shouldn't equal 10mb. Try again!

#144396 by Sharn
Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:56 pm
:oops: Crumbs, was it only 3 seconds? I am not a full member so it only lets me put a small bit on. I have a few I have done and got into itunes. How do I get them from there onto here then? I can't put them on youtube as they are just music files not video :?

Thank you for having letting me know anyway :)

#144398 by Jahva
Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm
Sharn wrote::oops: Crumbs, was it only 3 seconds? I am not a full member so it only lets me put a small bit on. I have a few I have done and got into itunes. How do I get them from there onto here then? I can't put them on youtube as they are just music files not video :?

Thank you for having letting me know anyway :)

Your problem is not your membership level its your file size.
There are free file conversion programs online. Just do a search for free mp3 file converter software. You probably know someone a little comp. savy that can help you get started.
I use this one it's free. http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
Once you download it you select the file you want to convert and the format you want to convert it to, and voila more than 3 seconds of musica! :P
You should post your youtube links as well.
Cheers
#144404 by Sir Jamsalot
Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm
You should try exporting to .mp3 format for this site. That will engage the player so people can listen to it on the site without having to download it before listening to it, and .mp3 is much lighter in overall file-size.

Garage Band should be able to export directly to .mp3.
here's a link on how to do that - though I don't have Garage Band so I've not done it myself.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 443AATpYlV

good luck.

Oh, P.S. and something else I looked up for you is a way to capture the sound from youtube and import it as a track into your Grarage Band project as an audio file. I do this using Cubase, however it's a little easier in Cubase IMO. But here's a link to a site that addresses a way to do this in Garageband.

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/FAQPa ... tream.html

Then you can just write down the lyrics and get good backing track audio directly instead of having to go through a microphone to your computer speakers or however you were doing it.

Sharn wrote:I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me a little advice and some constructive criticism please. I have managed to upload a short demo to put on my profile. It is only short as it wouldn't allow me to upload more that 10 mb. Anyway, I recorded it at my new imac (not done this before) using garageband and at the same time using backing from youtube karaoke track and words on screen. Here is the link to me http://www.bandmix.co.uk/sharn/

I'd love to be part of a band and be able to perform with them but don't know if I am good enough. I lack confidence, however have done a little in the past and I did get encored, but that was ages ago. I was asked to join some musicians and turned up weekly but nothing came of it and I hardly got to sing as they mainly made up instrumental pieces with no lyrics.

#144425 by gtZip
Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 am
Use iTunes to convert it to an mp3.
Then load it on here.

#144447 by Sharn
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Hi again.

Thanks for all your help. I think it has worked now. Although, it says just one sone but there are two on the one play item if that makes sense. It sounds a little wobbly at first as I think I am a little under the notes at the beginning of the first song.

Now I just need to get to grips with the youtube thing. Thank you :D

#144448 by Sharn
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm
Hi again.

Thanks for all your help. I think it has worked now. Although, it says just one sone but there are two on the one play item if that makes sense. It sounds a little wobbly at first as I think I am a little under the notes at the beginning of the first song.

#144477 by Crip2nite
Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm
Sharn wrote:Hi again.

#145773 by Sharn
Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 pm
Thanks Crip2Nite, but I am not sure if you wanted to say anything more as you just quoted me but I can't see any comment. :D

Thanks for listening :wink:

#145786 by drag57
Sun May 01, 2011 11:45 pm
don`t give up,never give up.

#145791 by fisherman bob
Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am
Don't be afraid to belt it out a little more. You're also cutting off some of the words too quickly. A little off key at times but nothing major. Try singing with more force in general, don't be afraid. I was told by a really great singer years ago to move as much air as possible, swallow the damn mic if needed. It's worked for me so far...

#145903 by Sharn
Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 pm
Thanks, that's what I wanted. I will take it on board and try for some improvements. :D

#146158 by Sir Jamsalot
Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 am
Sharn wrote:Thanks, that's what I wanted. I will take it on board and try for some improvements. :D

I like your voice - one thing i noticed though is that you pull back right after your start singing instead of letting your voice sound out. It's like you're trying to suck back the notes you just let out.

If i were to plot it out using zero's for forceful, +'s for sustain at the same level and -'s for reversing velocity (inhaling / apologizing for singing) in your voice, it would look like this:

00 +++ ----------------

when your voice should be doing something more like this

00000000000 +++--

i.e., don't throttle back so early. How's that for an odd explanation? Hope to hear more from you though. Keep singing ^.^

Chris

#146365 by Sharn
Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 pm
Thank you SirJamsalot, you really sound as though you know what you are talking about. I quess what it is boiling down to is confidence and the fact that I feel uncertain of myself and how I will be judged by others. I just wish I didn't care what others think, but unfortunately I do and I am frightened of making a fool of myself. My mother had a fantastic voice but never did anything with it and often regretted it when she was older. I don't want to let the same thing happen with me - that is if I am capable of doing it. I just don't want to miss the opportunity - if there ever is one. I keep on trying to tell myself that the regrets we have are of the things we didn't do or didn't try, rather than the ones we tried - even if we got them wrong.
They have an open mike session nearby, but I don't know anyone who could play for me, plus I'd far rather do it further from home where I can take comfort in a certain amount of anonimity :oops:

Thank you all for your time and for taking the trouble to listen and reply :)