This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1400 by rwgreenberg
Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:46 pm
Hi all. I'm a sax player living in Levittown, NY and would like to hook up with some musicians. I play Tenor, Alto, Sop, Clarinet, and Flute. I've played professionally for many years (mostly club-date). I'd like to play blues, rock, and some jazz. I'm not into super loud musical environments, but into music with dynamics and soul. Anyone out there?

#1403 by RhythmMan
Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:52 pm
Hey,
rwgreenberg.
Too bad you live in the next state over. We might have 'meshed' well . . .
Alan
Madison, CT
#1405 by rwgreenberg
Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:19 pm
Hi Alan. Thanks for your response. I was thinking that the web may be a way to meet musicians in my area (but have my doubts). Have you been following this site for long? Does it have the depth of users necessary to really hook musicians up? Do you know of any other similar sites with the same objectives? Thanks, and Hello!

#1410 by RhythmMan
Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:09 pm
rw,
You might get lucky.
Two musicians found me through my profile.
If you do 'find' someone, see if you can get them to send you a sound bite in reply to one that you send them first.
Might save you some driving.
Here's another site I've been searching, with less luck. Some posts are old . . .
http://www.musiciansconnection.com/musi ... &areaid=38
Here's another one, which is kind of empty, though . . . it's not the main page . . .
http://forum.jamconnect.com/viewforum.php?f=2
I think that Bandmix.com is your best bet.
Plug in a microphone, and record something - it might help you get a response.
- also -
Your profile might show up on a Google search. That increases your chances.
And - also, go to google advanced search, choose recent pages, and type in 3 - 4 words of what you're looking for. Try changing the words slightly - again, you might get lucky.
Good luck.
Ps. Got a name, rwgreenberg?
Alan

Last edited by RhythmMan on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#1439 by BillyRich
Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:10 pm
--- Alan ---
Great reply, there are multitude of sites out there, and here's another, http://www.fullvolume.cjb.net/

Also don't forget myspace.com... it has everything musical and otherwise.

--- RW & ALAN & ANYBODY ELSE THAT KNOWS HORNS ---
I'VE played with some horn people, they seem to have to have the music played in a flat key. Such as B flat. Questions:

Do they have to have the songs in the flat keys?
Are ALL horns, woodwinds based on flats? If so, Why?
Is that why a lot of Jazz is in flat keys?
What's the best way for a guitarist to play with "horns",
capo, alt. tuning or just normal?

I've played some Jazz but it's mostly smooth Jazz, and hornless 3 piece combos (with me sitting in as a 4th). Appreciate any info.

#1441 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 pm
BillyR. Thanks for the new site. Don't know about the flats.
Alan

#1451 by rwgreenberg
Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:36 pm
Well I can give your questions a shot...

You asked:

1. Do they have to have the songs in the flat keys?
2. Are ALL horns, woodwinds based on flats? If so, Why?
3. Is that why a lot of Jazz is in flat keys?
4. What's the best way for a guitarist to play with "horns",

1. No, in fact, I prefer sharp keys....I've played with lot's of rock bands and over the years have grown fond and more comfortable in the sharp keys. I play Tenor. If the band is playing in E, I'm in the key of F# (one of my favorite and most comfortable keys to work in when playing rock, blues, funk type stuff.

2. I do not believe this is true in any sense.

3. I believe this is true and is the reason why a lot of sax players are more used to the flat keys.

4. Just normal, definitely.

#1455 by BillyRich
Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:15 am
Thanks for the info. I'm asking for one reason because the jazz band I've sat in with absolutely refuses to change keys and improv. They are also pretty elitist about the guitar I bring in there. I don't currently have a jazz box, but my Gibson ES135 is close enough. That's okay because people like what I do regardless of guitar. So next time I think I'll bring my Jackson shred axe to trip 'em, up LOL.

#1839 by kukukupo
Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:06 am
rwgreenberg wrote:Well I can give your questions a shot...

You asked:

1. Do they have to have the songs in the flat keys?
2. Are ALL horns, woodwinds based on flats? If so, Why?
3. Is that why a lot of Jazz is in flat keys?
4. What's the best way for a guitarist to play with "horns",

1. No, in fact, I prefer sharp keys....I've played with lot's of rock bands and over the years have grown fond and more comfortable in the sharp keys. I play Tenor. If the band is playing in E, I'm in the key of F# (one of my favorite and most comfortable keys to work in when playing rock, blues, funk type stuff.

2. I do not believe this is true in any sense.

3. I believe this is true and is the reason why a lot of sax players are more used to the flat keys.

4. Just normal, definitely.

Actually, most horn players are comfortable in 'Concert' flat keys. Keys like Bb, F, Ab, Eb, are more 'natural' to horn players because of the public school systems. Horn players in Band tend to play in flat keys, string (orchestra) players tend to play in sharp keys. This is why when they mix, it's so often in flat keys (how many celloists are in jazz band?)

Jazz/etc was often written in the 'flat' keys because they origionally centered arround horn players who were more comfortable in those keys (most of the first jazz musicians only played in 1-2 keys, Bb, F). Now a days, most people will write thier music in predominatly sharp keys to make the music harder (because they don't want ametures playing thier music).

When you play in a key, add 3 #'s and that's what alto players will play in. (key of A = 6#'s for Alto players) That's why most sax players that play with groups tend to be tenor - because they keys they play in are slightly more comfortable.

Anywho. . .

#3310 by Henri2bfree
Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:06 am
Too bad you live over there. I live in Texas.

#7757 by RocknMike
Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 pm
Man I wished you lived in southern SC or Georgia, I agree with the above folks, bandmix.com is deffinately your best bet. I formed my entire group except for the keyboard player from bandmix.com and emails. Now we are in demand all over Sanannah, Hilton Head area, and have management people in Atlanta calling us. But good luck man, don't give up something will break open when you least suspect it.

#7794 by MattZito
Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:11 pm
I know this is an old thread but.

The funny thing is Billy that string insturments are much easier to transpose then any other. Changing key on a string instrument is just shifting the pattern to a different spot.

On anything else it's harder. Pianists have to learn chords and scales in 12 keys. If you play guitar and you know all seven positions of any diatonic scale then you know it in twelve keys already.

Cheers,
Matt