This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#145474 by slanoue
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:37 am
Thanks, Don!

I think some people can drink socially with no problem, but if you are drinking on your job or while rehearsing, you definitely have a problem.

I used to think I couldn't sing without drinking because I had such bad stage fright, but eventually I got over it and can sing without drinking. Also, just getting up there and doing it over and over, eventually you feel more confident. If you're solid in your musicianship, you shouldn't need to drink or do drugs to feel capable.

Look at all the famous people who feel they need it, though, including singers, actors, musicians etc. Very sad.

Suzanne

#146248 by drag57
Sun May 08, 2011 4:09 pm
doneaster,i could`nt agree with you anymore.
#294118 by lazarustonk
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:06 am
Relying on other musicians is tuff. When you find them you have to run the band like you're a shift leader at McDonald's. I used to play for a living and had a couple kids to raise at the time but didn't really do well until I decided to do it all by my lonesome. I'd hire a lead guitarist on occasion but usually was reminded immeadiately that it was best to go solo until you're in a position to hire someone on a regular basis.
#294119 by schmedidiah
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm
people are flaky. musicians even more so. you're welcome. good luck. :mrgreen:
#294128 by Mordgeld
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:33 pm
I feel the pain. Our singer plays percussion on our acoustic sets and bass on our electric sets but she can only do one of those things at a time. If I could get just one more musician to show up regular like, I'd have a lot more latitude in booking. Been exposed to a lot of flakes in California. It is the norm here. Lots of ppl talking a good talk, few that actually show up if scheduled. I'm pretty tolerant. My standards are: show up a reasonable amount to practice (and to all gigs), and don't f-up too much. If you need a couple of shots of whiskey to get loose and you sound great, more power to ya.

I saw somewhere in this thread that this difficulty can be due to problems with the material or band. Granted, you need this type of introspection. It can make you question yourself when you endeavor to forge a new path. It is often easier to obtain members when you are following whatever the trends are. I do try to clearly define the objectives for incoming members. I figure if they think we know what we are doing, they are more likely to work with us.