This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144855 by jw123
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm
I know Jimmy I was just feeling like I was getting stepped on cause Ive spent money that Ive earned thru my life on something that I love! LOL

#144861 by Lynard Dylan
Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 pm
I probably spent a couple thousand dollars on my gear, and bought the drummer drums to play, and a PA that's way to big and lights and a video camera, and I keep buying stuff (bought a mandolin this week) but I like music gear, isn't this what money is for

#144868 by RGMixProject
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:22 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:I probably spent a couple thousand dollars on my gear, and bought the drummer drums to play, and a PA that's way to big and lights and a video camera, and I keep buying stuff (bought a mandolin this week) but I like music gear, isn't this what money is for

Hey, I'm a drummer, I'm not a very good guitar player but I sure would love to have one of these......hint hint

Image :D

#144892 by gbheil
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 pm
I've only been playing ( again ) since 2005.

I've spent many thousands, and will gladly spend more.

What I do I do out of a driven love... nay a lust.

Not just for my " mission" not just for the "music" but because I love the equipment too.
Like fine weapons, good friends, and cold beer.

Love it, live it ROCK ON !!

#144904 by Insecticide
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 pm
haha. I'm confused. I wasn't slamming anything or anyone at all! I was only asking what the speakers were in a joking manner! y'know, cuz ya hafta Extort a few people to fund a pair of Genelecs. Which are totally awesome speakers. haha... ha.. . .

Myself, I have a lot of money into my home studio. Seemingly more than my entire salary. haha. Isn't funny when you're friends get pissed off at you because you don't waste money on crap, so you spend it on gear that you can keep forever. I've spent two thousand dollars this month alone on two guitars. :P

#144906 by gbheil
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 pm
Insecticide wrote:haha. I'm confused. I wasn't slamming anything or anyone at all! I was only asking what the speakers were in a joking manner! y'know, cuz ya hafta Extort a few people to fund a pair of Genelecs. Which are totally awesome speakers. haha... ha.. . .

Myself, I have a lot of money into my home studio. Seemingly more than my entire salary. haha. Isn't funny when you're friends get pissed off at you because you don't waste money on crap, so you spend it on gear that you can keep forever. I've spent two thousand dollars this month alone on two guitars. :P

Sure man ... they are assets ... I only regret the bucks I've wasted in the learning process ... ( should have bought that instead of this )

But that is life.

#144927 by Krul
Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:46 am
I've spent about $4,000 myself over the years, and have been given around $3,000 worth for free. Some people just love to give me stuff. :D

#144989 by gbheil
Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 pm
I love to give you crap. :wink:

Does that count ... :lol:

#145006 by Krul
Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:51 am
sanshouheil wrote:I love to give you crap. :wink:

Does that count ... :lol:

People love to give me crap too. I take it all with generosity. :wink: :lol:

#145106 by J-HALEY
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 am
You guys are awesome :P

#145297 by Paleopete
Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:34 pm
Hmmm....

Cort CL1500 - $200, and quite a deal at that.
Squier Strat - $175 I think it was, traded it for another guitar I had and I think that was its price.
Peavey Patriot - $175
Harmony Bobkat - $2 at a yard sale, $15 on parts & strings
Off brand tele copy - $4 at yard sale, a bit of work and strings
Takamine electric/acoustic - $350
Electromuse lap steel - freebie :D
Fender Super Reverb - 3 hours working on acomputer, $50 or so in parts to get it working right.
Peavey MX - $65 and $120 to repair
Kustom 2x12 cabinet vintage 1967 - $40
Speakers for it (Emminence, reconed) - $100
Peavey Classic 75 - $150
Fender Champ $8, around $150 since then on repairs
pedals - around $200
guitar stand to hold 7 guitars - $50 I think it was
King alto sax - $60
mics, cables, tuners, single guitar stands, mic stands, tubes, fuses...hundreds...damn, I'm still paying and paying...

I'm sure I forgot a few things, but I've probably sunk over $2000 into my current guitar rig along the way, much more on long gone amps and guitars, pedals I didn't like, long deceased tuners, worn out mic stands...

I do look for a deal, but I don't care what it costs if it gets the sound I want and holds up under stage use and road abuse. The sound I get now is worth twice what I actually put into it. I figure I'm in pretty good shape, I've known people who paid over $2000 just for a good amp. (in some cases plus speakers) And that's before $1500 Les Pauls and such, $200 pedals...

I just hope I never fry the Super Reverb, I haven't seen even a beat up one for under $1200...I'd really hate to have to replace it, in the condition mine is in, I'm looking at $1500 or more for a 40 year old amp that will match it. And then I have to do a cap job...

#145305 by Christopher Holmes
Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:23 am
I've never sat down and run the numbers exactly, but my guess has always been $15,000 - $25,000. Five guitars & a rack of Mesa Boogie amps, effects, cabs, etc.

I laugh, because it's sort of related to the other "chasing tone" thread - I knew what I wanted and went after it. Money was the only real obstacle.

That, and after 20 years of playing my fingers finally figured out what to do.

#145310 by Hayden King
Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 am
The guitarist in my best and most favorite band wouldn't spend over $75 on a guitar. Always got em from the pawn shop. The old gawdy one that nobody else would even consider

NOBODY has ever captured the awesome raw dirty assed sound that he had. Each of those guitars had a unique sound to them. Money couldn't buy it. If you "gave" him a brand new Les Paul, he would go buy a junker with the right sound and use the guts from it and toss the LP parts.

P.S. The last gig I did (with a band) I played an elec/acoustic through a 12' x 12' fender champ that I bought for $35
The stage was huge.
I got a compliment on my sound from a local concert producer right after the show.

Money doesn't always get the best!

Also, I once had a 3 piece cover band (yeah that's right cover band).
I had a 100w junk ass bass rig and a Hondo bass.
The guitarist had mediocre equipment at best.
The drummer had toured the world in a somewhat famous band...

At practice one night his somewhat famous buddy called from outside. He told him "dude you have to come up here and hear what a sound we have with this junk ass equipment"

It's not alway in the gear, but in how you utilize it!

#145324 by Eddie V
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 pm
I'm a drummer - I've got about $15,000 in gear. That's a low ball replacement value estimate (I'd say)- although one of the 4 drum kits I have I actually picked up used for a steal and it would be worth about ten times what I paid for it new. I used the price I paid in the estimate....not what I'd guess it's value is.

I also own some stage lighting and PA gear that I use. I have too much crap...but I use all of it. I'm sure I'll think of something I missed after I post this.

Funny thing is....When I sat down and began making an itemized list to figure out a total.....I was amazed in how much I have wrapped up in cables alone. (pun intended)

#145334 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:30 pm
jw123 wrote:I know Jimmy I was just feeling like I was getting stepped on cause Ive spent money that Ive earned thru my life on something that I love! LOL

haha. Hope you didn't take my :shock: :shock: the wrong way! I feel guilty for purchasing a $200 mic, and when I saw that hefty number on my screen I did a double-take cause I thought I misred it :) I'd love to be able to invest in my music, I'm just not in a position to do so is all. Call it envy ^.^

Cheers!