This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All things Keys.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#120678 by Broken Keys
Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm
My keyboard is a Yamaha CP300 and when I play out I plug into the house PA system using stereo XLRs. The quality of house speakers vary a lot from gig to gig. I'm looking to purchase QSC's new K12 series speakers and wonder if anyone is using them now? They sound great in the showroom but how do they sound on stage? I typically play small to medium sized gigs.

#126436 by Twangkeys 8703108151
Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:41 pm
Before you do anything try out Rolands KC Series I use a pair of
KC 350's they really sound good and clear. You can add subs to them
plug Mic into them, really versitile. I play Yamaha Tyros 3 through
mine it relly comes to life in true stereo .

Twangkeys.

#137884 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:41 am
Not to be differ-beggar, but I don't like key amps at all, in particular the Rolands. In my view, they just can't handle any low end. I use a PA cab with a 15" and a horn, run full range from a Yamaha powered mixer. Works great.

Jah love.

#144608 by Buster Peabody
Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 am
I'm thinking about getin' a passport compact pa by fender to handle both my vocals and sterio output from my Roland Fantom X. Any one tried that, and how did it work?
#145766 by Brad1954
Sun May 01, 2011 5:59 pm
When I use my left foot from a pedal board or when my multi-sound module has to be played that far down on left hand, I will use a powered sub for live with voice PA only. When I send my signal to a sound board for live, I turn my amp up toward me for a monitor. but still send my signal from it. A Traynor K2
Last edited by Brad1954 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

#145768 by gbheil
Sun May 01, 2011 6:09 pm
I guess I'm amiss on the hype about " keys amps ".
Admittedly I have no experience with them at all.

Seems that a small powered PA and a couple of three way speakers would produce any sound you might care to make.

The few times we've had keys set in I just linked them stereo into our system.

Really seems a non issue.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to be enlightened.

#148600 by ddpianoman
Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am
You might try a set of powered speakers by Behringer. Cost effective and they sound great with my Triton. I have been using them for a year or so in club house situation and had other players set in and they always comment that they didn't know those speakers could sound so good. I had a Behringer keyboard amp before these and it was in a different league. The powered speakers with a mixer blows the doors off of it. I used a Roland one night when I set in with some other band and hated it. No offense to those who have them. They always sound great in the store.

#150332 by downtofour
Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm
ddpianoman wrote:You might try a set of powered speakers by Behringer. Cost effective and they sound great with my Triton. I have been using them for a year or so in club house situation and had other players set in and they always comment that they didn't know those speakers could sound so good. I had a Behringer keyboard amp before these and it was in a different league. The powered speakers with a mixer blows the doors off of it. I used a Roland one night when I set in with some other band and hated it. No offense to those who have them. They always sound great in the store.

Don, are you still considering joining a band? I was unable to contact you via BandMix. We are seeking an experienced keyboard player and are located in Wytheville, VA. Not sure how far that is from you, but we gig in VA, NC, TN, WV. If you would be interested in speaking with me, please email me directly at [email protected] I will send links to our band page. Thanks, James

#154456 by holdsg
Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 am
I use two QSC K12s for my rig. Either both direct from the boards, or through as small Allen & Heath mixer. Never had a problem and never let me down. I love them. I have a smaller QSC K10 that I use as either a monitor or run my ipod thru for practice. I guess I am sold on the QSCs as powered speakers.
#155705 by Hammerthief
Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am
I have a pair of KC350's, I also use the KC550 for mono use with my Kurzweil K2500 ang Korg Triton. These are wired straight into the amps. The KC550 with it's 15" speaker it is bowel crusingly good!!!
#164994 by WDG
Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 pm
Secondtimearound wrote:My keyboard is a Yamaha CP300 and when I play out I plug into the house PA system using stereo XLRs. The quality of house speakers vary a lot from gig to gig. I'm looking to purchase QSC's new K12 series speakers and wonder if anyone is using them now? They sound great in the showroom but how do they sound on stage? I typically play small to medium sized gigs.
I stack a nord and a yamaha (Keep the yamaha for the great piano sound). Anyway I've always ran across problems when I plug into the house system. The problem is with balance between me and the reswt of the band.
#168436 by candiny
Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:21 am
When I send my signal to a sound board for a live recording, everything amplified I change from musician to a sound engineer and I try to work with him. We both decide if i should plug my crap into his crap or just mike me with my 12 watt Marshall or Traynor K2.
#181865 by KeyboardChuck
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 am
I play piano and organ in rock and blues bands, and have always been frustrated with my amplification. Stage piano is a Yamaha CP5; organ is the newer Nord Electro 73, plus occasionally a Yamaha Motif when those 80's sounds are required.

I've gone through (in order) a pair of Roland KC-350s, a Motion Sound KBR-3D, a Bose L1 Model II, a pair of monster JBL PRX525 cabinets, and now have finally found my ideal stage setup: a pair of QSC K12s on stands.

The Rolands were just too muddy and brutish at volume. The Motion Sound is a good, general purpose amp -- but 200W wasn't cutting it at high volumes, not to mention the Leslie sim on the Nord sounds better than the mechanical rotating speaker in the unit.

The Bose spike is simply wonderful for more acoustic gigs in smaller settings -- great clarity and presence, but can quickly wimp out when the band gets cranking.

The big JBL self-powered 800w PA cabinets were bought out of sheer frustration of not being heard. I guess I wanted to make a point. They sound enormously good, but can easily overpower the band, also being huge to carry around.

Not to mention it being awkward when the keyboard player brings a better sound system than the house PA ...

One or two QSC K12s are now my preferred weapons of choice. If I'm being really lazy, I can run mono from each keyboard to the 2-channel mix in the back, and call it a day. Put one on a stand, and everyone will hear you. Put two behind you, and you'll be in stereo heaven listening to yourself. Put one on the floor, and you've got a monitor that will cut through anything. All crisp, clear and with just enough bass to be taken seriously.

The good news? I've finally found my keyboard amp setup. Although I now have a lot of gear to sell ...

My two cents.