This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#143115 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:29 am
Alright,,, STEAL CITY. :wink:

#143116 by jimmydanger
Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am
Too late.

#143129 by Black57
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 am
I don't use strings

#143193 by gtZip
Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:25 pm
String Stretcha wrote:The guitarist from Big wreck showed me the Berklee way of setting up a guitar. You string it and then use the finger / thumb method of stretching each string (if you don't want to wait for the strings to settle in). The finger / thumb method is as follows - pull up on the string with pointer and middle fingers Starting at the bridge. Simultaneously, you will push down on the top of the string with you thumb. You then slide your fingers down the whole length of the string (slowly obviously - because doing it fast would cut your fingers). then you tune the string back up into tune and repeat this procedure on each string until the string no longer goes out of tune when you slide your fingers down it. This is the method STRETCHA is modeled after. They teach that tugging on the strings gives an unbalanced stretch and can effect ringtone and string life. Finger /thumb is the best way out there to do it correctly. ALL THIS SAID - I suppose if you aren't going in the studio or to an important show; you will have time to let your strings gradually settle. GUITAR TECHS FOR THE PROS CHANGE STRINGS BEFORE EVERY SHOW ON ALL GUITARS. - Imagine if Jimmy Page was handed a guitar live onstage that hadn't had the strings stretched - i bet he'd snap on his tech after haha. But by studying the anatomy of a string, you will see that tugging would only unbalance the string and the ringing effect and will still leave you with waiting for the strings to settle in.


Yep, thats the way to do it.
Learned it from Joe Satriani.

#143259 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 pm
gtZip wrote:
String Stretcha wrote:The guitarist from Big wreck showed me the Berklee way of setting up a guitar. You string it and then use the finger / thumb method of stretching each string (if you don't want to wait for the strings to settle in). The finger / thumb method is as follows - pull up on the string with pointer and middle fingers Starting at the bridge. Simultaneously, you will push down on the top of the string with you thumb. You then slide your fingers down the whole length of the string (slowly obviously - because doing it fast would cut your fingers). then you tune the string back up into tune and repeat this procedure on each string until the string no longer goes out of tune when you slide your fingers down it. This is the method STRETCHA is modeled after. They teach that tugging on the strings gives an unbalanced stretch and can effect ringtone and string life. Finger /thumb is the best way out there to do it correctly. ALL THIS SAID - I suppose if you aren't going in the studio or to an important show; you will have time to let your strings gradually settle. GUITAR TECHS FOR THE PROS CHANGE STRINGS BEFORE EVERY SHOW ON ALL GUITARS. - Imagine if Jimmy Page was handed a guitar live onstage that hadn't had the strings stretched - i bet he'd snap on his tech after haha. But by studying the anatomy of a string, you will see that tugging would only unbalance the string and the ringing effect and will still leave you with waiting for the strings to settle in.


Yep, thats the way to do it.
Learned it from Joe Satriani.


Not really true Satriani is as good of liar as he is a player. BERKLEE can suck my tuners.

#143271 by Slacker G
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 am
Just call me silly, BUT I was unaware of all the tribulations that were associated with guitar playing until I went on the internet. You know, automatic tuning guitars, poly tuners, string stretchers, locking nuts, bridges, and trems, locking tuners...blah blah blah

I played 7 gigs a week for years and years. All we had back then were fingers and hands to do all that complicated stuff. Now, knowing some of the perils I faced, I have no idea how we ever did it.

I'm starting to believe we were grossly underpaid.

And it's beginning to bother me a great deal. :twisted:

#143273 by Kruliosis
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:23 am
It's a tragedy when your robot guitar doesen't work. :lol:

#143280 by MikeTalbot
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:55 am
Slacker I was way ahead of you. I ALWAYS thought we were grossly underpaid! :wink:

cheers
Talbot

#143306 by gtZip
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:00 am
GlenJ wrote:
gtZip wrote:
String Stretcha wrote:The guitarist from Big wreck showed me the Berklee way of setting up a guitar. You string it and then use the finger / thumb method of stretching each string (if you don't want to wait for the strings to settle in). The finger / thumb method is as follows - pull up on the string with pointer and middle fingers Starting at the bridge. Simultaneously, you will push down on the top of the string with you thumb. You then slide your fingers down the whole length of the string (slowly obviously - because doing it fast would cut your fingers). then you tune the string back up into tune and repeat this procedure on each string until the string no longer goes out of tune when you slide your fingers down it. This is the method STRETCHA is modeled after. They teach that tugging on the strings gives an unbalanced stretch and can effect ringtone and string life. Finger /thumb is the best way out there to do it correctly. ALL THIS SAID - I suppose if you aren't going in the studio or to an important show; you will have time to let your strings gradually settle. GUITAR TECHS FOR THE PROS CHANGE STRINGS BEFORE EVERY SHOW ON ALL GUITARS. - Imagine if Jimmy Page was handed a guitar live onstage that hadn't had the strings stretched - i bet he'd snap on his tech after haha. But by studying the anatomy of a string, you will see that tugging would only unbalance the string and the ringing effect and will still leave you with waiting for the strings to settle in.


Yep, thats the way to do it.
Learned it from Joe Satriani.


Not really true Satriani is as good of liar as he is a player. BERKLEE can suck my tuners.


That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written on this forum.
Go stand in the corner.

#143309 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 am
WHY. Give me one real good piece of truth and then you can call it stupid.

Strings just don't settle in unless you want to become a master of tuning.

It's a piece of steel. What is described in this method is a guitar that has a problem at the nut. When I am playing a lot,, by the time your strings are settled in, I have already changed mine again. Strings are not fine wine that get better with age. You throw them on, stretch them to death, play them to hell and 6 hours later do it all over again.

Look at your strings after 6 hours of playing. DO you see all the fret wear on them? Then you start to blame your guitar for not staying in tune. If your strings aren't burned after 6 hours, you are not playing that guitar at all.

Any one want to know how NOT to be a squirrel and have a problem at the nut? :lol: That is where most guitars have a problem.

Even pianos need to be retuned after heavy playing and exposure to any climate change,let alone major string change, on an instrument that fingers never touch the strings.

I am glad that this was so dumb GT. Sorry to get involved in such a musical post. I won't do that again. :evil:

#143350 by gtZip
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 am
The thum/finger works perfectly.
Do it right and the strings are settled in - and they stay that way.

I know what works and what doesn't work.
Try it sometime and do a thorough job of it. Maybe you'll find out that satriani isn't a 'liar'.

Thatt is what is so dumb. The satriani statement you made.

#143353 by jimmydanger
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 am
Glen made a dumb comment? Say it ain't so! Satch rules!

#143357 by Kruliosis
Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 am
Gilbert smokes Satch. :D

#143380 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:40 pm
gtZip wrote:The thum/finger works perfectly.
Do it right and the strings are settled in - and they stay that way.

I know what works and what doesn't work.
Try it sometime and do a thorough job of it. Maybe you'll find out that satriani isn't a 'liar'.

Thatt is what is so dumb. The satriani statement you made.


Maybe if you are stroking something else.
Thatt was not dumb. Thatt was not dumb. Thatt was great.
Sorry if you think Joe is so great, I've heard more creative playing from some of you guys, without the backing of other talented people, to record and coach.
I wouldn't even waste my time doing it the "SATRIANI" way.
Remember if you don't want to be the lead dog,,, the scenery never changes.

:lol:

#143381 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 pm
Now I'm really not happy GT.

You just made me burn my Sunday morning bowl of chili. :evil:




:lol:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests