This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#142233 by jimmydanger
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am
Finding jazz musicians is the same task as finding any other genre of musicians. You must go to where there are a great number of people - big cities. New York, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans all have large populations and thus large populations of musicians. If you live in a smaller city the odds of finding compatible people are slim.

#142234 by Krul
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:13 am
Not a Jazz musician, but I can imagine it would be hard to find competent ones. I mean, it not only takes precision, but a great amount of swagger too. Heck, it's even hard forming a Rock band these days.
#142237 by Scratchy
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 am
MendoJazzman wrote:Anybody find it difficult to find real jazz genre musicians?

Call your local (or not local) sound rehearsal studios and recording studios for leads.

Many good Jazz musicians do studio work, since they generally take good instruction, can read charts, and have excellent timing.
#142255 by Cajundaddy
Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 am
MendoJazzman wrote:Anybody find it difficult to find real jazz genre musicians?

Not at all. I play with some serious jazz cats twice a month. I am afraid I am just a little Chihuahua running with the big dogs though. I can bring the minor blues, latin, samba, but these guys go all BbMaj7 F/A Eb/G F7 Bb Am7b5 D7#9#5 Gm7 on me...whew! All 12 notes:)

#142365 by gtZip
Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 am
Kruliosis wrote:Not a Jazz musician, but I can imagine it would be hard to find competent ones. I mean, it not only takes precision, but a great amount of swagger too. Heck, it's even hard forming a Rock band these days.

Yep, jazz is the most difficult of all genres for guitar. (In my opinion)

#142669 by J-HALEY
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 am
Wow! jazzers are everywhere down here! In fact I just went to a club here! Some folks I know called me up on stage and It was one of the most AWESOME gigs I have ever played the OUT OF BODY experience I (just had) was nothing short of EUPHORIA! I wished you all could experience it!
All I can say is the older you get the MORE you will LIKE jazz! Lately this is what I have been doing. While our band is preparing to get out there, On occasion I have shown up at clubs and played with some UNBELIEVELABLE musicians it has been a wonderful GROWTH expereince!
I hope and pray ALL of you get to experience this at LEAST once in your life! :wink: