This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#139618 by spud1114
Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm
Hey Guys,

I have been playing bass for about 11 years and guitar for the past couple. Recently started a band and have been attempting to do vocals and play bass. I have never really done any vocals before so I am just starting out.

Here is a track that I have been working on some vocals for:

http://www.mymindoutloud.com/audio/Song7.mp3

I am finding it hard to figure out my range, I have just been recording and re-recording until I figure out something that sounds basically in key. I struggle at figuring out how hard I should push my voice, especially when recording. Any suggestions or anyone have any good references for someone just starting to sing?

I won't be offended by harsh criticism because I know I am not a very good singer, just trying to make the vocals not completely suck.

Thanks !!!
Chris

#139620 by neanderpaul
Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 pm
Too low in the mix for an effective critique. What I hear sounds fine so far. Boost the vocals and repost. Chorus vox are louder though. Sounds like you do have a reason to be singing. Yeah, boost and repost.
#139621 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm
You have a good voice - doesn't sound to me like the genre you're after is too demanding in terms of singing range, but since you asked - figure out where you are vocally - get on a keyboard and try to sing the notes as high and as low as you can in a voice that meets your criteria as sounding good. Write your music and or pick songs in that range.

Soprano: C4 – C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 – A5
Contralto: F3 – F5
Tenor: C3 – C5
Baritone: F2 – F4
Bass: E2 – E4

I've done a bit of research too in this regards - it seems you'll have to train your voice and learning your limits comes with experience. Straining your voice? Well, if keep in your vocal range above, that will minimize that. I recommend searching google for vocal training - there's lots of free stuff I ran accross on youtube that's interersting.

Good luck.

spud1114 wrote:Hey Guys,

I have been playing bass for about 11 years and guitar for the past couple. Recently started a band and have been attempting to do vocals and play bass. I have never really done any vocals before so I am just starting out.

Here is a track that I have been working on some vocals for:

http://www.mymindoutloud.com/audio/Song7.mp3

I am finding it hard to figure out my range, I have just been recording and re-recording until I figure out something that sounds basically in key. I struggle at figuring out how hard I should push my voice, especially when recording. Any suggestions or anyone have any good references for someone just starting to sing?

I won't be offended by harsh criticism because I know I am not a very good singer, just trying to make the vocals not completely suck.

Thanks !!!
Chris

#139699 by spud1114
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:39 pm
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have seen other people mention about using a keyboard to find your range. I don't have access to a keyboard but I bet I can find something online that is similar.

I also stumbled upon this which looks like it might be useful or at least worth checking out.
http://www.singintune.org/

SirJams do you currently do vocals in a band? Just wondering how you go about writing your vocal melodies.

#139700 by neanderpaul
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm
I write vocals. They just come. Hear samples on my profile here. Click the www below.
Last edited by neanderpaul on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#139706 by KLUGMO
Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 pm
Hey spud,
In most songs there are 1 or 2 high points where the song vocaly reaches a peak. This usually happens within a bridge or at the end or begining of a chorus. These are places to look for a way to do something special vocally. Always look for that place in a song to vocally do something special or unexpected. These are the areas that seperate you from the crowd and make you a real singer. Hit a note, bend a word, scream whatever as long as you do it with strength and control. If you attempt something that you shouldn't. It will be obvious to the listeners.
JMHO
KLUG

#139718 by spud1114
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:47 pm
neanderpaul wrote:I write vocals. They just come. Hear samples on my profile here. Click the www below.

This sounds really good! On the track "Little wing w/ Jimmy Danger" I think at points you sound similar to Mike Patton of Faith No More.

#139719 by neanderpaul
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:54 pm
Thanks man! I have heard that many times over the years. Since they broke actually! LOL I'm near his age. I take it as a huge compliment as he is rather studly. Klugmo's advice was good imo too. Look to write highlights in at a place or two. Another suggestion is to write the choruses more "hooky" than the verses. You have a good frame to start with. Your voice sounds better than some folks I have heard who have been singing their whole lives. And you already play so you have a head start with basic music knowledge and timing. I look forward to more! Welcome and stick around!

#139720 by spud1114
Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm
No problem!

Yeah I think Klugmo's advice is good too.

Sometimes I fear that I have listened to the song so many times that I find it catchy because its grown on me. I guess thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Here is another track I am working on, I'm not sure I like the verses but I think the chorus has the start of a decent "hook"

http://www.mymindoutloud.com/My_Remembrance/Song-3_Complete.mp3

Klugmo - I checked out your song on your profile. I am not a fan of country music, but you have a good strong voice, fits great!

#139725 by Daniel Towsley
Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 pm
I am a beginner as well. And what I do not everyone considers music. However, just wanted to comment on that tool. If that could help me balance things as well. That would be great. Will check it out and thank you for the link.

#139726 by spud1114
Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:38 pm
Daniel Towsley wrote:I am a beginner as well. And what I do not everyone considers music. However, just wanted to comment on that tool. If that could help me balance things as well. That would be great. Will check it out and thank you for the link.

Checked out your page. I am not a big fan of Ammon Amarth but I do love alot of death metal/black metal. Big fan of Opeth, The Haunted, old In Flames, Old Man's Child.

And I enjoy that vocal style, alot of what you were doing sounded good to me. Would be interested in hear you do death vocals over an original, and with a better recording.

#139727 by philbymon
Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:56 pm
The song you posted doesn't really give a very good example of your abilities, & the mix doesn't promote a proper critique.

However, I will say this - you can carry a tune, from what I could hear in the chorus, although there were some pitchy issues. You need to practice breathing for the best phrasing. Take deeper breaths & project a bit more. The breathy stuff works in this tune, but not every one. I sing & play bass, too, & yeah, it's far tougher than guitar singing.

Determine your range, from low to high. Listen to your recorded voice, & find your best vocal register. That doesn't necessarily mean that you must stay only within those narrow limits, though. Stretch yourself, especially in practice, to widen your range without straining. Try to avoid straining at all times.

Try to be constant in volume, when you practice, for stretches at a time. It's hard to sing loud on those lows, & hard to sing soft on the highs. Be aware of your mic's dynamics, & use them to your advantage.

When you start your vocal exercises, remain at a medium volume until you are warmed up a bit. Then sing loudly. Follow that by singing very softly. Try to hit the same notes at all 3 volume levels. (That's a toughie!)

Stretch your facial muscles in ridiculous poses while you warm up at the louder levels. This helps more than you would imagine. Really express those vowel sounds. Exaggerate all your pronunciations for a bit, then sing normally. You'll find that your enunciation is better after warming up like that, & your lyrics will be easier to understand.

Start at about 20 minutes per day of intense practice, then gradually work your way up to an hour or more of singing at high volume, followed by no less than 10 minutes of very low volume. Your overall vocal dynamics will improve a bunch by doing this, & your vocal muscles will steadily improve & get stronger.

Avoid those things that tend to dry out the voice & throat - cigs, alcohol, caffiene, carbonated beverages, ANY miind-altering drug - especially when you're practicing or performing. Tepid water works best at those times.

Rest well after practice, too. Give yourself time to "heal" after every practice session, for an hour or two. Your practices should always be more intense than your actual performances.

#139734 by gbheil
Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 pm
Study, practice, and sing your ass off.

The rest is candy.

#139737 by Daniel Towsley
Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 pm
spud1114 wrote:
Daniel Towsley wrote:I am a beginner as well. And what I do not everyone considers music. However, just wanted to comment on that tool. If that could help me balance things as well. That would be great. Will check it out and thank you for the link.

Checked out your page. I am not a big fan of Ammon Amarth but I do love alot of death metal/black metal. Big fan of Opeth, The Haunted, old In Flames, Old Man's Child.

And I enjoy that vocal style, alot of what you were doing sounded good to me. Would be interested in hear you do death vocals over an original, and with a better recording.
I like a bunch of bands. However, with not knowing the lyrics well. I try and find slower songs (easier to follow). And Amon Amarth has a lot of "easier to follow" songs. So do some other bands that I sing to. Should try to record some of them as well. I have a really nice mic that I have enjoyed. A Samson C01U. I find its the best mic I have used to date. Most of the issue I think with the recording issue. Is that the settings are not right in the recording software, and mic settings. I should fix those. So it tends to make the recordings grainy and what not.

To get a example of music I like :

http://www.youtube.com/azraelsgrave#g/f

It doesn't have every band I like granted. Though gives you an idea to things I listen to. And at one point or another. I've growled and screamed along with them .. lol. And about doing something with original work. I'd love to do that with someone. Sadly, haven't found anyone here. Did get a message from b3playr for someone he knew. Though the guy acted like I was a lowlife idiot .. for just saying I was a beginner. To each their own. Was very thankfully b3playr had referred me. Just hoping not all bands are like that.

philbymon wrote:The song you posted doesn't really give a very good example of your abilities, & the mix doesn't promote a proper critique.

However, I will say this - you can carry a tune, from what I could hear in the chorus, although there were some pitchy issues. You need to practice breathing for the best phrasing. Take deeper breaths & project a bit more. The breathy stuff works in this tune, but not every one. I sing & play bass, too, & yeah, it's far tougher than guitar singing.

Determine your range, from low to high. Listen to your recorded voice, & find your best vocal register. That doesn't necessarily mean that you must stay only within those narrow limits, though. Stretch yourself, especially in practice, to widen your range without straining. Try to avoid straining at all times.

Try to be constant in volume, when you practice, for stretches at a time. It's hard to sing loud on those lows, & hard to sing soft on the highs. Be aware of your mic's dynamics, & use them to your advantage.

When you start your vocal exercises, remain at a medium volume until you are warmed up a bit. Then sing loudly. Follow that by singing very softly. Try to hit the same notes at all 3 volume levels. (That's a toughie!)

Stretch your facial muscles in ridiculous poses while you warm up at the louder levels. This helps more than you would imagine. Really express those vowel sounds. Exaggerate all your pronunciations for a bit, then sing normally. You'll find that your enunciation is better after warming up like that, & your lyrics will be easier to understand.

Start at about 20 minutes per day of intense practice, then gradually work your way up to an hour or more of singing at high volume, followed by no less than 10 minutes of very low volume. Your overall vocal dynamics will improve a bunch by doing this, & your vocal muscles will steadily improve & get stronger.

Avoid those things that tend to dry out the voice & throat - cigs, alcohol, caffiene, carbonated beverages, ANY miind-altering drug - especially when you're practicing or performing. Tepid water works best at those times.

Rest well after practice, too. Give yourself time to "heal" after every practice session, for an hour or two. Your practices should always be more intense than your actual performances.

Anything that helps to improve is a plus in my book. Though on a side note I will say. I do often drink milk or a good wine as I practice. I have found both coat my throat to a point that long vocal practices become possible. Otherwise I would have to cut my practices down in time. Maybe I should think about that.

#139743 by Daniel Towsley
Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am
spud1114 wrote:

Nov 17th 2010 Symphonic Metal sound you made. I liked it a lot. And the following just came to me. maybe not the direction of the song. Or whatever. Only pieces I felt to do. Because wasn't sure how to write lyrics around the other bits. -lol- Just having fun. Don't mind me I tend to write randomly. And actually put my vocals to it to see how the lyrics matched.

1)
The sound from :56 to 1:07 made me write the following :

In the world of doubt the shadows scream
Victory in lust the angel breeds
The burning sun melting wax wings
Chaos in a new dream

2)
*edit* The part from 2:04 to 2:27 could be used as the normal set for vocals (or in some form like below). Well just an idea anyways. Though that would be shifting things around, and adding this to more parts of the song. And its your work not my own. Was trying to listen it repeats the same cord set 4 times? I think. And 5 seconds to each repeat about. The below form doesn't keep it as a main set but how it exists currently. Words would have to be very different for a standard set.

Death
Pretty little daddy's girl tormented

Hate
What he's done to you for so long now

Pain
The sin of life dripping from your veins

Free
The angel no longer cries in her dreams

3)
Then 2:27 to 2:37 made me write the following :

The porcelain doll shatters upon the wall
It bleeds no more pain from the falls

Overall I started to want to do lyrics associated with abuse .. Yes maybe not what you also wanted .. but ranting. Of a young girl who is physically and mentally assaulted by her father. Eventually finding her outlet into drugs. Then OD'ing on them. And yes I know I went off the deep end far from what could be done with the song. I tend to do that =)