This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#111097 by jw123
Mon May 10, 2010 3:00 pm
Allright guys Im trying to downsize a pa system some and need ideas for a pwoer amp.

We currently use a pair of 1-18 Yam subs and a pair of 2x15 top cabs. Ive been comtemplating using my sons Behringer 10 channel mixer, use the power of the mixer to drive out monitors and then line out the main line and just push the two Yam tops. These cabs will take some power. The only thing I have loose is an old Peavey CS 800, I need a reasonable amp in the 2-3000 watt at 8 Ohm range to make these speakers honk. I have an amp in our big rack but Im wanting to just kinda have a seperate system available without tearing into cause we already have it wired up.

Just opening the floor for some ideas on amps.

Thanks in advance!

#111209 by 90 dB
Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm
If your mains are the S215V's, they are rated at 1000 watts nominal, 2000 watts peak (at 8 ohms).
Are you using any kind of speaker processing (Driverack, etc.)? Limiter?

A good match might be the CS4080H, which puts out 1250 watts at 8 ohms. Here's a link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS4080HZ/

As long as you don't clip the amp, this one should work well. If money were no object, I would look at QSC or Crown.

#111225 by gbheil
Tue May 11, 2010 1:50 pm
Just a note about how we have decided to proceed in this area JW.
I've gone to 3-way mains with an extra bass cab that is running both bass and drums from a separate powered PA. The main PA ( Carvin 1200) gets a feed from the "bass" PA plus it runs the cymbal mics (overhead condensers) exclusively.
Gives us plenty of bass without the need of "subs" that suck up so much power just to basically "move air".
The 3-way mains give us great separation and more clarity than anything we have tried before.

#111258 by jw123
Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm
90 thanks for that link. In our main pay we have a drive rack, Im not sure if I will pull that out or just mount an eq with the amp.

Sans, when we run our whole setup its super clean, Im trying to scale back the equipment not add more. Ive never heard of anyone doing what you are doing, but if its working keep on rockin!
#118777 by Gabe4evr
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 am
i just want to add my 3 cents worth to this post , for starters..if your downsizing dont down size the power of your system you can use what you already have and get some serious punch out of your setup , using a mono or 2 way stereo/mono (use 2 way mono recommended) x-over you can split any high power amp one side for the highs and the other for the lows and you can run your pa's powered mixer amp for your monitors and you dont break the bank or add more gear to your rack (besides the x-over its a must have if your running sub cabs)you should be able to get 400 watts mono for the highs and 400 watts for your bass @2 speaker load @8 ohms x-2 = 4 ohms to ch a on your peavey xr-800 and 400 watts @ 8ohms x 2 for 4 ohm for your subs x-0ver point @ 350hz on your lows and 375 hz to your highs now route your monitor sends to your power amp in on your powered mixer and you got power plus eq control on yourmonitor mix remember to send the hottest signal to your x-over and adjust amp power after level settings from main mix if need a diagram or more tech instructions call or email me anytime . 352-870-3444 happy to oblige.

#139612 by Wayne plays bass and sax
Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm
Hey, if you're still looking for an amp, try a Crown xti2000. I'm using that same setup in one of the rigs I'm using. Two double 15's and horn on top (2 ohm load) and two single 18 subs (4 ohms). Works great for most clubs and outside for up to 3 or 400 people. I don't know what music stores are around you but you can get them at GC for about $500. Wayne Phillips