This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#139045 by gbheil
Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:15 am
Or in simple terms.

Choose and use your friends wisely. :wink:

#139081 by Pan McKracken
Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 am
Personally I became a musician to get as many blowjobs as possible backstage before death. This cookie monster scary voice sh*t scares the girls away. I prefer a Tom Jones approach to metal myself...

#139083 by philbymon
Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm
Pan McKracken wrote:Personally I became a musician to get as many blowjobs as possible backstage before death. This cookie monster scary voice sh*t scares the girls away. I prefer a Tom Jones approach to metal myself...

LMAO!!!!

You go, boy-eee!

#139412 by MikeTalbot
Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am
[quote="BassBastard"]The bar tender in clubs can be your best friend. They are the most common person asked "so who the hell are these guys?" when very few in an area know you. quote]

I did that back in the day when I first got to Atlanta - went to all the clubs, a lot of 'em during the late afternoon when little was happening. I found most bartenders were glad to help a musician and I ended up introduced to a band. They had me sit in and after determining that I actually could play they introduced me to a lead guitarist who was starting an outfit.

Plus I got more than my fair share of free drinks out of it...Good people I thought.

When I got to LA I made up flyers and passed them out at music stores, studios and what not. It said "The phantom Bass Player is in town!" It seemed pretentious announcing my arrival in Hollywood as if I was somebody but hell - I was there to be noticed. (and I soon found everybody else was playing angles too)

I believe that if you have product you can sell it. But get talked about and be some where being talked about matters.

Talbot

#139489 by reallycool222
Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:32 am
As much as I love Death Metal I realize that it won't do well in the mainstream. However look at bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel though. They've made a living. They aren't incredibly famous but I'm sure they don't need day jobs anymore.

Genre wise I don't know what I'll do but it will likely be Metal in some way. Otherwise Punk. I just want to get something going and take it off the ground. Finding a competant drummer and bass player as been the hardest thing. Well I may have a drummer but yeah everyone hates playing bass it sucks.

#139497 by Mike Nobody
Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm
Thomas_Cross wrote:As much as I love Death Metal I realize that it won't do well in the mainstream. However look at bands like Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel though. They've made a living. They aren't incredibly famous but I'm sure they don't need day jobs anymore.

Genre wise I don't know what I'll do but it will likely be Metal in some way. Otherwise Punk. I just want to get something going and take it off the ground. Finding a competant drummer and bass player as been the hardest thing. Well I may have a drummer but yeah everyone hates playing bass it sucks.

I love playing bass. But, I prefer writing my own material to just being somebody's sideman.
If you just need some bottom added to your rhythm you could always go the Jucifer route and add lots of cabinets. :lol:
Local H became a two-piece when their bassist quit. The guitar player just ran another signal to a bass rig and pitch-shifter. Jack White does the same thing with a Whammy pedal.

#139549 by reallycool222
Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:38 am
It's funny because someone joked that I should do the same thing as Local H that band you mentioned. Can't afford an octave pedal though.

#141798 by JustAGuitarGuy
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 am
People just don't understand metal and thats a good thing. I see alot of people saying things like "there not enough substance" or "the music is dry and un exspressive". I disagree 1000%. It's was WAY worse in the 80's then now. In the 80's there where tons of gimmicks and copy cats. Bands now are REALLY diverse. Here's a list to prove my point.

Lamb of God
Korn
Children of Bodom
Killswitch Engage
Daath
In Flames
Arch Enemy
God Forbid
Opeth
Dragon Force

Not one of these bands sound the same and they are very original. The metal will always be on the back burner because of the lyrical content. If you not singing about Sex, Money, and Drugs you will not be that popular with the kids.

Anyone who says metal has to change in order to be looked upon in a better light has some merit; however, it wouldn't actually be metal because someone who give it a new genre name IE Nu-MEtal, Rap Metal, Whatever.

#142228 by Mike Nobody
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm
Justin mckenzie 88 wrote:alot of my friends say metal is dead but as a metal drummer i think differently. i think that most metal bands look forward to getting signed but dont want to give up there sound for what ever sells. i say if you get noticed for your sound and the record companies wanna make some minor changes let them cuase they know what they are doing. ive seen alot of metal bands come and go cuase they dont keep up with the times. its all just sad.

Labels haven't got a clue. They only know how to throw stuff against a wall to see what sticks. Try working closer to record labels for awhile; a magazine, a radio station, TV, etc. It becomes readily apparent.

As far as "keeping up with the times" goes, most bands' biggest mistake is a lack of originality, not riding on trends created by someone else.

The best way to get a label's attention is to get the audience's attention. Bands that become a "big fish in a small pond" are the ones labels are most likely to invest in. Cuz, really, they don't know squat.

#142241 by Krul
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 am
There's a lot of good underground Metal out there. Some bands are still old school, some are new school, some are a combination of both, and some are just doing a lot of unheard of things.
#203636 by RaiseOlympus
Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am
Yo, you should hit me up dude. Id like to hear what you guys are writing.

xcfhxdimebag wrote:Alright.so we all have to go through it but come on.i have been through like 3 bands in the past year and we always come up with some brutal stuff but thats it.something comes up and there are no shows,labels,or anything.so what am i missing?i also live in a redneck town so there arent many of us brutals left,maybe thats it.anyway,anything would help so what do i do.btw musicians always wanted if ur in ky and wanna go through some bullsh1t