This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#137474 by Paulet Pj Howard
Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 pm
I recently completed my professional drum promo video. It will be published in approximately two weeks. In between time, I am researching the best ways to present/ market my media. What are the proper marketing strategies to make this video a success? My goals for this video are as follows:

(Short Term)
1. Connect and obtain sponsorships
2. Professional establish my name (Paulet “Pj” Howard)
3. Visual EPK representation

(Long Term)
1. Obtain a permanent drummers position for a main stream artist/band
2. Professionally present to record labels. (A&R/Management)
3. Become a signed artist/producer/composer/music director

What is the best way to make my goals a successful reality?

Feel welcome to add me on Facebook and Youtube
Facebook:Paulet Pj Howard
Youtube:Pjhow2

#137497 by Stringdancer
Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:46 am
What is the best way to make my goals a successful reality?

The first thing I would do is to move out of the state of Illinois, your Gov. just passed a tax increase of 66% ouch… even if you make some money in the music business not much of it will stay with you.

#137582 by Prevost82
Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 pm
This business is all about getting in front of people (others Pro) and playing with pros .... it's not so much about what you know, as who you have played with, recorded with ... etc.

Hit every highend jam (where the pro's jam) and play with as many of them as you can. Pros and known artists only play with people they know and have played with .... outside of the jam scene.

I don't care how much effort put into your short term list it will get you nowhere ... it's all about your playing ... that you can play a whole range of styles ... how quick you pick up on cues on the fly ... your attitdute towards others in the band (that's a big one) and if you show up for reheasal, on time, prepared and ready to go (that's another big one).
And remember this is not about you ... this is about you giving 100% to support the artist that you are working for.

Years ago I knew a young drummer (very good one) that would hit the jam at one of the venue in town every week, the band that was playing there that weekend had to host the jam Sat. afternoon as part of their contract. After about 2 yrs he got pickup by one of the "A" class band and has worked as a pro since, he also has won a few country music awards and is a 1st call drummer for many country bands.

And yea .... you may want to move to where the music scene is happening ... Chicago, Nashville, LA ..
tring to make it in some nowhere town is not going to do it.