This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#12352 by rjthegreat
Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:37 am
without a doubt, the late John Entwhistle from the Who. Only one bass player could ever bridge the gap between the wide open guitar playing of pete townse and the extreme overplaying of keith moons drums and not over power roger daultrys smooth voice.

#12463 by Werewolf67
Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 am
I'm kinda torn between John Entwistle and Geezer Butler myself

#12476 by dk415
Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:38 pm
only 1 comes to mind....STANLEY-CLARKE :lol:

#12477 by Greeniemagic
Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:58 pm
Mike Inez 'No More Tears' nuff said :)

#12630 by Rockbassist24
Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:45 am
James Jamerson, he did a lot of the Motown stuff

John Entwistle - The Who

Jack Bruce - Cream

Mel Schacher - Grand Funk Railroad

John Deacon - Queen

Craig MacGregor - Foghat

Tom Hamilton - Aerosmith

Paul McCartney

#12681 by raydon1965
Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:42 pm
I would say the best bass player is Rudy Sarzo.
There are so many talented bass player out there and most of them are not even discovered in the main stream. No different than all the bands out there looking for the big break. I always say if it happens it happens, if not Oh well just play some dang good music and be the big fish in the little pond! Like in you own home town.

#12711 by Pounce
Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:08 pm
Wow there are alot of great bass players out there but my favorite would have to be Stanley Clarke he can do things on that bass that I have not seen anyone come close to. Just ask Chick Corea about him. This is The Pounce from cincinnati. The home of Bootsy Collins

#12914 by jw123
Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:02 pm
One word

FLEA
#13285 by mtinbdos
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 pm
Vocals & Bass wrote:In the 70s while I was listening to Rush,Kiss,Yes,Bad Company,etc. At the same time I was also into Soul & R&B. Bands. Such as Earth,Wind, & Fire. [of course] The Ohio Players, Isely Brothers, The Brothers Johnson, Average White Band, Rick James, Funkadelic, Commadors, etc. Hasn't any body here ever heard of "BOOTSY"? Guess its simply a younger generation here mostly. In just the few bands I named are some of the best Bassist I can think of. Thats even not to mention the good Bassist from the Disco Era. {In my personal opinion,} Soul & R&B has produced some of the best bassist to ever play. And there are so many of them. Lot more than I have named here. "WE WANT THE FUNK" You might find a Bassist as good, But you wont find one Better than Bassist from this era. If you were ever into Soul & R&B. Music in the 70s, I think that you would agree with me. Although, we all are entitled to our own individual opinions. Peace.............

#13286 by mtinbdos
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:52 pm
did everyone forget about jaco!? he is still my fav and always will be, there are so many talented players out there, the likes of nathan east who is also a great session player, jimmy haslip of the yellow jackets simply awesome, i saw them both perform at jazz on the hill in barbados and trust me haslip was jaw to the floor good.

#13342 by rajon111
Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:37 pm
Ronny Cates was a fanatastic showman along with his phenominal bass playing.

#13346 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:32 am
Simon Gallup-The Cure, Is a unique pick. I like 'Love Song' & 'Just Like A Dream' is the title, I believe. Mainly all open string on the Bass, Fairly simple. Neat funk though. I like Simon Gallup on Bass also.
True_Calling wrote:Cliff Burton (If I have to tell you what band, then why are you on this forum): Not the best, just VERY INVENTIVE! (tragic)
John myung (Dream Theater): CLEAN, POWER, TECHNIQUE, OVERALL SKILL
---CON: NO SLAPING WHAT SO EVER!!!
PICK PLAYERS WHO I ACTUALLY RESPECT:
REX BROWN (PanterA): ENOUGH SAID!
Rodger Glover (Deep Purple): GREAT BASS LINES! Some nice solos to.
Simon Gallup (the Cure) LOVED HIS BASS LINES, and one of the most curious and inventive bassline/chordplay writters I ever heard. Tony

The Simon 'Gallup' for (The Cure). Is a very unique pick. I have always liked the Cure. Liked the way they actually used a toy piano. Love Song-The Cure is one of my favorite songs. And 'Just Like A Dream' I think is the title the another song I like. Although these two songs are mainly all open string, Fairly simple bass guitar. A unique funk though.
WWW.myspace.com/ditd1
#13442 by jafband
Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:36 pm
MrMikeV wrote:oooh, almost forgot... best unknown talent on bass: dave larue.
plays for steve morse - great slap, great fingerstyle = awesome.

I had a friend who played with Dave back in the early 90's in a band called Secret Lovers. He was a very nice guy and amazing to watch live in a small club.

#14225 by B A S S
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:38 pm
yes there are many many great bassist for sure, I do like McCartney, I am also going to mention two orthers,which I don't believe was mentioned one is Bill Wyman his stuff with the Stones was execellent and another guy was Howard watts [no relation to Bill Wyman ] he played with Hank Williams Sr. those guys were also great.But like Hank 's musicians and some of these orther bassist and guitar players they were not used for some of their recordings only on stage concerts. they hired orther folk for some of the recording sessions.

#14912 by Boyofmusic
Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:13 pm
Cliff burton