This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#132369 by 90 dB
Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm
I apologize for the drama, but this is my final post on this forum. I have enjoyed reading and exchanging opinions here, but recent disgusting posts by a certain individual illustrate the risks involved in an un-moderated forum. We have gotten a couple of gigs from our presence here, but future clients reading this forum might not find such material amusing.

In my experience, these sort of trolls only get worse.

I wish you all well, and success in your endeavors.

90dB

#132370 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm
Yeah , that was pretty disgusting. Sorry 90 DB. Unfortunately that seems to be the attitude that is running through our country right now.

I don't care about how much harm the few will try,, DON'T TREAD ON ME. :evil:

#132372 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:55 pm
Too bad . . .
I ran into the same kinda thing, a year or 2 back . . .
No sense in losing gigs and money, and looking bad (by association).
Good luck.

#132375 by gbheil
Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:34 am
Making a statement of this sort is not drama.
Thank you for your help.
Your technical input will be missed.

Best wishes.

George.

#132378 by Krul
Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 am
I have no idea as to what happened at all, but why leave? If people left because of offense, then offensive people would control the board. I say shrug it off and ignore people who act in a way you don't like.

With that being said, if it is your decision to leave, then I wish you well. I wish you wouldn't though.

We could always gang up on the trolls and kick their ass, E-style.

#132381 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 am
No Krul, MIKE NOBODY took his personal frustration way out of bounds.

His personal attacks on me became extremely out of bounds. All I can do is say a prayer for him.

He deeply offended 90 db.

He deeply offended everyone here. We may get nasty but not to the point that we get outright disgusting.

He crossed the line. Way over the line. Way ,WAY over the line.
Poor boy. Say a prayer.

#132387 by Mike Nobody
Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:19 am
Hey, I don't want anyone to leave because they got offended (life can be that way). But, what does anyone expect when insults are exchanged and escalated? I didn't go looking for trouble. I didn't even create that thread, which was a personal attack against ME. At least this sort of thing is isolated in the "General" area of discussion. The usefulness of exchanging information elsewhere on the board, I think, outweighs any unpleasant aspects of dealing with other people here. So, don't pout and go home with your bat and ball. The playground is big enough for all of us (even Glen).

#132390 by RGMixProject
Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 am
You are absolutely right 90db...problem is, there will always be those who choose to answer defensively. I have been guilty of bashing back as well and I should know better.

I need to read this more often;
An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them. Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

When trolls are completely ignored they sometimes step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed. Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a moderator is deciding whether to take steps against a troll.

As an idea, the next time you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, maybe you could just write a follow-up message in the thread entitled "Troll Alert" and type something like this: Quote:
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

I only hope in a few days or weeks "that thread" will get deleted or pushed back several pages.

But really 90db everyone here only hears and see's great responses from you and you will be truly missed.

#132396 by fisherman bob
Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 am
Trolls don't bother me one bit. In fact nobody on a forum or anybody I ever met in person has ever bothered me one bit. For every offensive response to any of your posts you probably have gotten dozens if not hundreds of positive responses. I've been posting on here a number of years now and have had some heated exchanges with people. People have come and gone from here. No big deal, just typical. I wonder what the offender would do IN PERSON. Probably keep his mouth shut. Just shrug it off...

#132401 by Mike Nobody
Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 am
RGMixProject wrote:You are absolutely right 90db...problem is, there will always be those who choose to answer defensively. I have been guilty of bashing back as well and I should know better.

I need to read this more often;
An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them. Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

When trolls are completely ignored they sometimes step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed. Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a moderator is deciding whether to take steps against a troll.

As an idea, the next time you see a post by somebody whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, maybe you could just write a follow-up message in the thread entitled "Troll Alert" and type something like this: Quote:
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

I only hope in a few days or weeks "that thread" will get deleted or pushed back several pages.

But really 90db everyone here only hears and see's great responses from you and you will be truly missed.

There are a few people here who perfectly fit your definition of a troll. I don't think I'm one of them. However, I am guilty of feeding them instead of ignoring them. I'm also guilty of being a wise-ass. But, that is not the same thing.

I hope 90db doesn't stay gone for good.

I also hope JHaley deletes his stupid thread when he sees where it all ended up.

Maybe I'll take some time off away from the forum. I've got practice to do before my next gig. Hopefully, the forum will focus on more productive discussions instead of all the bullshit.

Later.

#132404 by philbymon
Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 pm
Gee...& here i was, thinking he was talking about me!

:oops:

#132435 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm
Yeah... it's all JHaley's fault you posted illicit sex-fettish pictures in that thread... I just hope no parents' children are looking over daddy's shoulder should he scroll past that content.

#132461 by gbheil
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 pm
SirJamsalot wrote:Yeah... it's all JHaley's fault you posted illicit sex-fettish pictures in that thread... I just hope no parents' children are looking over daddy's shoulder should he scroll past that content.

OMG ... that was a sex fetish ??

And I thought I was sick ...

:lol:

#132498 by TheCaptain
Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:25 am
yeah, I scrolled past that one with my son & two little girls in the room.
thank you Lordy they didn't see it

kinda sad lads..

#132604 by Metal D
Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm
I'm out of here as well 90db.

Good luck to all of the cool people that hang here and I truly hope that your endeavors come to fruition. :D

Deleting profile soon...