This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#116708 by THE ROCKER OF PAIN
Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:58 am
any opinions on what is the best guitar amp for around $100 i play all kinds of music but my metal distortion and my cleans have to be badass!!! quality sound and effects for practice whats the best bang for my buck and it has to have a 10" speaker at the least or even better a 12" line 6 spider 3 15w or fender front frontman 25r

#116715 by philbymon
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 pm
One word - "USED"

Check out the pawn shops, which should be overflowing with stuff in this market.

#116718 by gbheil
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Any amp that you can get for $100.00 is the best amp you can get for $100.00. Honestly unless you have a "badass" PA to mic your amp through your not going to be heard anyway. And if that is the case spend your $100.00 on a effects pedal and play straight through the PA.
Practice amps are just that when they have to stand alone.

The search for great tone is ongoing and quite subjective.
I've not found anything solid state to date that can match my Carvin Nomad for depth of tone.
But I can waste a lot of money $300.00 at a time looking.

I think you may be deluding yourself, music is an expensive project.
I do wish you luck just the same.
Let us know how it works out.

#116731 by Starfish Scott
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:36 pm
"Fender Frontman 25r"

Get at least 2, better to have more.

Daisy-chain them together and wail away. (minimum 1 per channel/side)

(Warning you can burn them up if you aren't careful, my record is 6 of those at once burned to a crisp)

Peavey Audition is another great amp to have 2 or more of to chain together.
You can't lose, when they are small and cheap.

Try to get them as cheaply as humanly possible, (USED).
If you can do them at under 20$ per, they are begging to be lightly toasted. lol

#131872 by Dalevis
Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 pm
I know you're saying 10" or bigger speaker, but you can add a speaker cab to this little beastie when you can (it has a jack on the back for an 8ohm extension cabinet). Even though it's got an 8" speaker in it, it does have a valve pre-amp. I've owned one and I loved it, but sold it when I moved back to America from the UK a few months ago. If you try one out in the store, make SURE you try it with the 'Master Bypass' switch on the front engaged. That skips the master volume stage AND gives you a 6dB boost of top end. It'll take your head off at close range, THEN put a mic on it when you play out/practice with a PA:

http://www.amazon.com/Kustom-Contender- ... B001ACOQ5M

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=988911

#146201 by drag57
Sat May 07, 2011 3:10 pm
the one you you can get at a yard sale from someone that does`nt know what they have.

#147539 by Crunchysoundbite
Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:41 pm
This could piss you off or make me sound like a moron,(if I haven't done it already). Wall Mart, You know the store at the end of your street?- they have a little 10" high (square) amp for $30. Nice for a practice amp with pre-amps in line. I use it at the picnic table with the guys, a pass around guitar and some beers. 2 in the morning is not too late for this thing should the fog roll in. What's the worst that could happen? :wink: