This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#121327 by gbheil
Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:50 pm
I like my Boss ... but ...
Does anybody make a freakin stomp tuner a man can actually SEE in bright daylight ??

As it is I have to "hide" my tuner in the shade of my amp. And still barely able to see it.
Playing outdoors in searing heat and direct sunlight has it's own set of complications dos it not?

#121338 by philbymon
Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:42 pm
Does anyone still make the old analog tuners? I liked the needle. You can see it in the daytime. Digital just pisses me off in the sun!

#121339 by J-HALEY
Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:45 pm
Yes it does have dif. problems George. I played a lot of outdoor gigs for the past 10 years. Thats why I have the tuner with the Meter (needle) that I can see. I have read that that new T.C. electronics tuner is easier to see in bright light but I haven't tried one yet. That is the next pedal I will get if it is what they say it is. Its the one where you strum all the strings and the tuner tells you which ones are out of tune.

#121341 by gbheil
Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:48 pm
Been reading some about that tuner J.
Seems to be some issues with reading the high E.
But then you have to take reviews with a lot of salt.

#121369 by mistermikev
Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm
I use the strobo stomp. I bought it because I wanted to be able to do accurate intonation. It is a VERY accurate tuner. Maybe too accurate. Requires a little patience to get the display to actually stop.

You can see this display from 10ft away. Very large.

It also features a direct recording out that I've found to be pretty nice sounding.

You can set it to interrupt the signal when on, or pass through.

on the downside it's not quite true bypass... it has a small amount of bleed.

Expensive, but if you want something almost as accurate as an actual strobe tuner... without the bulk... it def does that.

#131871 by Dalevis
Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm
Take a look at the Korg PitchBlack pedal or the Planet Waves line of tuner pedals (particularly their Tru-Strobe Pedal Tuner - it uses a reverse-font black-on-orange display to show you the string you're tuning). All have extra-large displays on them, plus they're all more accurate cent-wise (sensitivity of tuning/intonation) than the old Boss pedal. All have true hardware bypass, which I don't think the Boss pedal has either.

#131900 by gbheil
Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 am
Hey man.
Thanks for the heads up !

#131979 by mistermikev
Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:20 pm
i owned the planet waves pedal... not impressed.
foa I don't think it's true bypass at all.
mfg use that term loosley as there is no 'official specification for true bypass', but in short, anything that uses anything other than a mechanical switch is not true bypass. For instance, the digitech line of 'true bypass' stuff.

anywho, aside from that, I found the planet waves was not accurate enough to do intonation. again, they use the term strobe loosely.
as i recal it has a 1% margin of error whereas the strobo stomp is .001% (assuming I'm remembering that correctly?)

all that said, I think it would be a fine tuner for tuning a gtr.

#131994 by mistermikev
Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 pm
hmm, upon further review... both are .1%.
that doesn't jive with my experience, but then the one I used was an older model.

#132046 by 1collaborator
Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:14 pm
I really like the TC electronics pedal I got back in may. I wanted to use it a while before I said anything about it . But accurracy and visibility in every situation I've been has been better than any other tuner I've used. I also like being able to hit all the strings at once and seeing whats in or out.

#132059 by gbheil
Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 pm
That's good news. I rarely jump on any new technology until it is proven in the field.

Unfortunately what little expenditure I can muster towards music at present is being spent in CD reproduction.

I am on a mission to greatly reduce my household dependence on debt or loans of any type.
If the hospital was working me with any regularity I would have reached my short term goal already.

My lust for stuff is pretty fierce at times.
But I am on a mission. And you guys (some of you anyway) know how I am about my "missions".
#132232 by Cajundaddy
Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:33 am
sanshouheil wrote:I like my Boss ... but ...
Does anybody make a freakin stomp tuner a man can actually SEE in bright daylight ??

As it is I have to "hide" my tuner in the shade of my amp. And still barely able to see it.

I like playing outside. I don't like playing outside in full sun. Before you buy a new tuner try this trick:

We always carry a roll of blue painters tape for marking inputs, taping down cords etc. Take 1 or two strips and create a little shroud over your LEDs so they are shaded but still visible. It works pretty well.

I always have a backup pocket tuner sitting on my amp with an analog needle just in case but I don't like having it in my signal chain.
#132287 by gbheil
Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:14 pm
TheJohnny7Band wrote:
sanshouheil wrote:I like my Boss ... but ...

I like playing outside. I don't like playing outside in full sun. Before you buy a new tuner try this trick:

We always carry a roll of blue painters tape for marking inputs, taping down cords etc. Take 1 or two strips and create a little shroud over your LEDs so they are shaded but still visible. It works pretty well.

I always have a backup pocket tuner sitting on my amp with an analog needle just in case but I don't like having it in my signal chain.

Thanks for the input. It's a good idea. I generally "hide" my tuner in the shade of my amp. But I don't like to turn my back to the crowd ... even to check tune.

#137252 by Christopher Holmes
Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 pm
I have a DigiTech HT-2. Played a couple outdoor gigs with it and I can see it just fine. Very bright LED's.

#137280 by Barry Wilson
Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 pm
it's odd but every piece of gear I bought recently has built in tuners. the one in the zoom G1u I don't like. The one in the tc voice live touch is awesome but the cheapo fender one I use to do intonation and stuff cuz it's seperate. it has those bloody red led's and am sure it would be hard to see. I am very impressed with the vlt though and if their tuner is on the same level I am sure it's excellent.

I just got the roland gr-20 a couple days ago so haven't had time to try out the tuner. too busy trying the million sounds out