This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#3608 by little_tim
Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:01 pm
Dreadsy.....yep its hard to find commited people but they are out there....any musician that doesnt want to put in his 100%....drop em quick....they'll only cause problems in the long run....good luck and KEEP AT IT

#3810 by JFrancom
Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:55 pm
I'll play with anyone and any style of music, but it seems that there aren't a lot of socal people on the site quite yet.

The thing I feel is hardest to find is a solid rhythm guitar. I'm talkin' more than just some power chords, a guy who know's the value of chord construction, but when you do, it feels nice.

Over here, there are of course a large amount of lead guitar players, but keyboards are also hard to come by. Every other person I meet plays drums. Hell, there are even over 5 drummers who live on my street! (No joke.)

The main music scene here is hardcore screamo, and there is a huge gutter-punk following as well. But the type of music Bakersfield is most famous for is country. Buck Owens. The Bakersfield Sound.

#3831 by Scrum
Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:59 pm
Drums and Bass come as a set. Pretty hard to plug a new drummer or bass player into a band. As a bass player I find it pretty easy to pick up songs, but damn hard to play a song I already know with a different style drummer.

Some styles of music just aren't much fun to play on the bass: Country, folk, heavy metal and almost all of the top 40 stuff. There just isn't any drive or variation and if you screw up nobody in the audience can tell. Look around Band Mix and large proportion of the ads are for those genres and christian contempory.

Give me songs like Smooth, Brick House, Whiter Shade of Pale, Friend of the Devil, Hook, Old Love, Ants Marching, Get Ready, Soul Man, Sweet Emotion, Fire, The Ocean. Sweet Jane......

#3981 by Nick BIG HEAD FRED
Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:08 am
Hey Brothers and Sisters! MERRY XMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!!!! This is my first reply, the information below is not intended to cause bad feeling to you or aneone else, just an idea.
NEVER WAS A GOOD SPELLER EITHER!

We have lots of everything except, LOTS OF GIGS and good bass players. Who just can't seem to listen to the music, other players and tempo, while tring to catch a grove ( or coat tail) while playing a sone with the rest of the band...,only listening to themselves. If your a good listener, and understand time, pocket and tempo. Then..., it doen't really matter who your playin with, its all good. Some people never get ,it's hard work and takes a long time find it . Its called payin your dues, in a kinda sorta way! NOT A SERMON JUST A THOUGHT Ok...Peace and love!

#3984 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:52 am
Scrum....I definitely understand what you're saying, I love playing bass to tunes that flow, to where you can close your eyes and feel it. With that, your fingers just seem to naturally know where to go....it's beautiful.

Unfortunately not all the popular tunes are that way but as long as you have a set list that mixes it all up, its a good thing.

I enjoy playing tunes from Steely Dan...keeps you on your toes.

Bobaloo

#12344 by Werewolf67
Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:36 pm
Hmmmm....

I basically stashed the guitars and picked up a bass because guitarists are a dime a dozen around here, but bassists are rarer then diamonds :shock:

The only real reason I practice my guitar work at all now is for writing purposes and recording demos. And unless I run into a situation that needs guitar work, I'll be happy playing out on the bass.

#12396 by doctorcrimson
Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:48 pm
Im a drummer and my buisness partner is a bassist and we feel that good key players are extinct. Finding musicians in general is hard..especialy ones that are well seasoned.

#12397 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 am
Nick BIG HEAD FRED wrote:Hey Brothers and Sisters! MERRY XMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!!!! This is my first reply, the information below is not intended to cause bad feeling to you or aneone else, just an idea.
NEVER WAS A GOOD SPELLER EITHER!

We have lots of everything except, LOTS OF GIGS and good bass players. Who just can't seem to listen to the music, other players and tempo, while tring to catch a grove ( or coat tail) while playing a sone with the rest of the band...,only listening to themselves. If your a good listener, and understand time, pocket and tempo. Then..., it doen't really matter who your playin with, its all good. Some people never get ,it's hard work and takes a long time find it . Its called payin your dues, in a kinda sorta way! NOT A SERMON JUST A THOUGHT Ok...Peace and love!
'Dynamic's & everything else' [Good Thread].
Last edited by Vocals & Bass on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#12418 by RhythmMan
Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:47 pm
doctorcrimson, you said, " . . . Finding musicians in general is hard..especialy ones that are well seasoned. . . "
Man, you said it. Experienced musicians who are also available are hard to find.

#12432 by Irminsul
Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 pm
Drummers and bass players are about the only ones around here who can get any work. Everybody wants to be a guitar god or a screamer, so those positions are taken.

#22779 by Drumming always
Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:32 pm
I'm a Drummer and Can't seem to find any serious band's or musician's down here in florida,everyone want's to a weekend warrior/Bar star ect. or the biggest problem is to much F_ckin Drama, If there's any serious Musician's out there who needs a Dam Good Drummer who can Play a solid Pockett/Metor who can play many styles and Dam Good call me (3866934118) and ask for Tim..Been playing for 25 years and can read and write drum music and Can work with Cklick Track.

#22826 by aiki_mcr
Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 pm
It's funny, where I used to live, all I had to do was mention that I was looking for a band to a friend and I'd have bands coming out of the woodwork asking me to join. Not good bands, but bands nonetheless. Because bass players were hard to come by.

Where I live now, everybody's a bass player. I'm about to actually spend some time practicing guitar (I've been at a a place for years where I realized if I merely practiced more I could be competent - though "good" would be too strong a word). Even as much of a hack as I am on guitar I'd be better than most local guitarists. Heck, I'm better than most local guitarists before I start practicing.

I think this might not be the best solution, though. Everybody's a bass player, but mostly they aren't all that good. I've heard some so-called professional bass players that were among the worst musicians I've ever heard since I moved here.

The real problem, I think, is that I've no patience for the overall low level of musicianship here. I want to play with people who are at least as good as I am. I'm no virtuoso, but I can count to four and can actually play Brown Eyed Girl. Most of the worst hacks where I used to live were better than people who call themselves professionals out here.

I guess I shouldn't have moved to the sticks.

#22850 by The KIDD
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:02 am
Hey Aiki,

Yeah , I know what ya mean...The jobs in general have dried up around here so Ive been keepin my chops up on Bass for those times when estabished bands need fillins..A player that can play most covers 55-85 is worth his/her weight in gold...Man , its a cryin shame that all of us who really wanna work and have religiously kept our chops up for many years, are so scattered about...Ive had my fill of going out with single artists for 300$ a week...When gas was $.89--1.50 a gal,it was normal to drive 3 hrs to link up with others...Now a trip like that costs me 50$...Ive been teaching for 15 yrs and the commitment level since 99-2000 or so has gone down tremendously...BUT, the female musicianship HAS picked up somewhat but their all 18-24,,,MAN, where were you babydolls when I was 25....Oh yeah,errr I forgot.... In cribs... :lol:...Well, I tell ya, Im about ready to go where a concentration of you guys are and we'll doer up like the old days in Chicago..4 nites a week with a 12 hr jam on SUN...
A buddy in Port Charlotte FL says theres alot work down there...Lets get a multi-genred band formed here with 300 tunes betweens us and head that way..... :lol: ...Heck , I sware at this point, Id bout do it...

KIDD
#22877 by raycparrish
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 pm
Instigator wrote:I am in Florida, and I am a bass player. Also have a great double bass drummer that I work well with.

My problem is that yes.......there are plenty of guitarists around my area, but they are mostly hacks. I am having a real problem finding a guitarist that can play 80's hard rock/metal. All the lead players around here wnat to play (or know how to play) is southern rock, and blues.

Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player. But finding a good one, with transportation, no addiction...on...on..on...is hard to do.

www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com
#22878 by raycparrish
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:It's funny, where I used to live, all I had to do was mention that I was looking for a band to a friend and I'd have bands coming out of the woodwork asking me to join. Not good bands, but bands nonetheless. Because bass players were hard to come by.

Where I live now, everybody's a bass player. I'm about to actually spend some time practicing guitar (I've been at a a place for years where I realized if I merely practiced more I could be competent - though "good" would be too strong a word). Even as much of a hack as I am on guitar I'd be better than most local guitarists. Heck, I'm better than most local guitarists before I start practicing.

I think this might not be the best solution, though. Everybody's a bass player, but mostly they aren't all that good. I've heard some so-called professional bass players that were among the worst musicians I've ever heard since I moved here.

The real problem, I think, is that I've no patience for the overall low level of musicianship here. I want to play with people who are at least as good as I am. I'm no virtuoso, but I can count to four and can actually play Brown Eyed Girl. Most of the worst hacks where I used to live were better than people who call themselves professionals out here.

I guess I shouldn't have moved to the sticks.

If I have to hear another hack guitar player hack that simple riff in Brown Eyed Girl....I'll freakin scream!

www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com