This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#74167 by AirViking
Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:05 am
well after watching every G3 tour member play, i would have to say its Paul Gilbert.

I mean, can anyone else here play 3 different songs on a single fretboard? I'd give you the link but i cant go on youtube on these govenment computers.

If you wanna see the best of the best check out G3

#76932 by tonyo3366
Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:51 am
In my humble the most underated guitar player in history has to be Jeff Beck Stuff like;Bolero,Freeway Jam,and Stratus are essential listening material for any aspiring rock guitarist while I'm at it Ry Codder, Pat
Buchannon and Ernesto Bitteti for the classical stuff spring to mind.
Also Lindsey Buckingham is far underated you hear alot about his songwriting prowess with Fleetwood Mac, but nothing about his guitar
playing.Buddy Guy for some reason seems to go largely unoticed for alot of his contributions.I've seen footage of Segovia playing guitar and I'll tell you he did things with a guitar that absolutely floored me. Chet Atkins was another hero of mine you don't hear his name thrown around much anymore. Then there's Jerry Reed who was jutst the chicken pickin'est
coolest country dude on the planet. Robert Cray who I've seen in concert a couple of times is a sorely underated picker. The list is long and I could go all day like this. Thank God for these guys.:D

#102183 by The Unlight
Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:38 am
Chuck Schuldiner(Death)

Jari Maenpaa(Wintersun)
#102763 by GhstDog97
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Thomas Rogers Stevens from Blind Melon

That will be my choice. I think a lot of his guitar work went unnoticed because of the drama surrounding the death of their singer Shannon Hoon.

He actually does some spectacular work. Another thing that puts him under the radar is the way he does guitar overdubs in the studio. It muddies up his sound a lot, even though the 2nd dub is usually a really good complementary sound. It ends up being so you have to really listen to hear some of his best stuff. I think "No Rain" took off in large part because of the rythm and separation achieved on that track over the rest of the album. Much clearer, more standout guitar.

Something like "Tones of Home" has really splendid guitar work on it. I just think it doesn't hit you in the face because of the way he always overdubs a second clean guitar and doesn't maintain the rythm and separation of the original lead guitar riff. If you listen to what he's doing though, on a lot of tracks, it is really really good stuff.

#109945 by MartyP68
Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm
Rik Emmett's name has been mentioned a lot on this post and yeah he's really deserving.

Also Rory Gallagher too one of the best that didn't get the recognition he should have.

Peter Green- this guy should be right there with Beck ,Clapton & Page and both Page & Beck thought he was the best Brtish blues player around.

Uli Roth-before Yngwie there was Uli and man can he play a strat or what?

#110372 by Jim-FindingFortress
Mon May 03, 2010 1:35 am
Guitaranatomy wrote:Lmao! I am staying here, or going there with a powerful gas mask!

Hey, another guitarist who has not gotten recognition... Um... How about Tom Morello? He has not been mentioned enough in my opinion. I hear his name around, sure, but it should be mentioned more. Afterall, he gave both to the whole warping effects thing in rock.

Okay not trying to slam a fellow guitarist but Tom Morello is the most OVER rated guitarist I can think of. It's 95% effect pedals and 3 note riffs. I could play his entire Audioslave Revelations album by ear before ever looking up a tab... and I'd never say I'm up there with the greats of guitarists.

I like his style, I like his sound - everything doesn't have to be complicated to be cool, but to say he's underrated is a joke.

#110373 by Jim-FindingFortress
Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 am
TheRevolutionite wrote:Here's a jaw-dropper....

Wes Borland!

Cmon, you can hate Fred Durst all you like, but you have to give Wes some props. I not saying this based on his technical skill, but the guy is sooo original. Odd tunings and effects, his riffs. He had some pretty cool fingertapping songs as well.
I can understand getting flamed, but now-a-days you don't get to much originality.

Okay actually going to agree with this. I HATE Limp Bizkit and their whole style, but Borland reminds me of Tremonti from Creed - awesome guitarist who since everyone hates the band overlooks the guitarists' skills.

#112187 by Krul
Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 pm
Mick Mars-great licks and tone-backbone of the band
Denis D' Amour(Piggy)-Voivod's genius oddball
Glen Tipton-not revered like Angus or Iommi, but should be! one of the greatest
Rocky George-one of the best rhytym and lead guitarists IMO-played for Suicidal Tendencies
#120501 by VocalsBass
Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:16 am
I alway's think of The Jeff Healy Band's (Bob Dylan) single, When The Night Comes Falling, when considering underated guitarist, "they were a very good three piece band also".
I liked Healy's guitar style of playing guitar on his lap, it gave him a unique tone, and his speed wasn't to shabby either.
I liked his cover work of other artist, (or) listened to more of that material of his more so than I do his originals, other than Angel Eye's, and maybe one or to other of his originals, Its sad that he died awhile back.
Last edited by VocalsBass on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

#120600 by kwolf68
Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:49 pm
Hands down, Alex Skolnick.

#147033 by kwolf68
Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 pm
Kruliosis wrote:Mick Mars-great licks and tone-backbone of the band
Denis D' Amour(Piggy)-Voivod's genius oddball
Glen Tipton-not revered like Angus or Iommi, but should be! one of the greatest
Rocky George-one of the best rhytym and lead guitarists IMO-played for Suicidal Tendencies

Piggy is a great choice.

And I think Glen Tipton is better than Iommi or Angus Young and I don't think it's even close.

#147367 by David Wayne Moore
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm
Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple.
Check out "Lazy" from the machine head album.
Most Awsome!
#148026 by MAJOR MIND
Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:11 pm
Cary Smith wrote:Off the top of my head I would have to say:
Elliot Easton - The Cars - I had to look up his name.
Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar (Her Husband) I had to look for his name too.

Anyone care to add any names to the list?

Myself.