This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#118567 by ratsass
Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 pm
It's been a long time guys. I stepped away for a bit, and when I got back on and read a few posts, I felt like I'd been watching a movie, went to take a leak, came back and found that I'd missed a section and couldn't get back into the rest of the movie. New characters had appeared and I was at a loss for what their roles were. When that happens during a movie, I just don't watch it anymore then and figure I'll catch it the next time in it's entirety. Doesn't seem to work that way on BandMix. BM doesn't have any reruns. Oh, well.
Anyway, got a notice from BM saying I hadn't been on here in a few months and they would like me to come back, so here I am. Logged in, password accepted and, lo and behold, I had a message from back in February! So, I replied to it and when I clicked "Send" (or a reasonable facsimile), it deleted my reply and said I would have to become a premier member to reply. When did they start doing that?
Well, musically, life has been in the ubersuck mode as far as live gigging goes. I had grown tired of feeling like everyone was taking advantage of me, letting me be responsible for PA, lights, bookings and all. I decided to take a break. Here awhile back, I had gone out and jammed at some parties and actually had fun (PA and stuff was already there) and decided it's time to get back into it again. My old band buddies had been wondering when we were going to play again and we were all truly excited. Played an outdoor biker bash a few weeks back and the crowd loved us, we had lots of strangers wondering where we were from and where we'd be playing. Ok, that's the upside of it.
Now, the downside. I had told my bassist what time I was going to be there to set up (5 o'clock and we started at 8). He and another guitarist that rode with him got there around 7, after I had set up all the equipment. I was hot, tired, dirty and dusty. I dumped some water over my head, shook it off, changed clothes, and played (while also running sound) for 5 hours. I was so worn out when we started, that about halfway through, I was almost ready to give out. When we'd take breaks, I didn't get to get out and visit the crowd like I usually do, I had to get off of my feet and sit and rest. When we were done, I rolled up cables and got everything ready and then let them load it back in my van (which they did a crappy job of and I had an equipment avalanche on the way home 'cause I was too tired to check it). We blew an 18" speaker in one of my subs which will cost about 140 to replace, yet no one offered to help me cover the cost. I had booked us as 3-piece, but the bassist wanted us to get this other guitarist to play too (and he's a good guy and great guitarist) so, instead of making $100 each, it was $75.
So now, I'm ready to go back into hiatus, and if they ask when we're going to play again, I'm going to tell them that I can't afford to. I lose money by playing gigs. Ain't that just sad.
Anyway, that's my rant and I'm stickin' to it.
Hope all is well with the rest of you. I'll try to get on here a bit more.
Peace out!

#118568 by gbheil
Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 pm
Good to hear from you Ratsass.

Wow, I've really got it good here with the boyz I'm in with don't I.

NOISY KUNG FU ROCKS in more ways than I thought

#118570 by ratsass
Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 pm
You certainly do, Sans, you certainly do. :)

#118581 by neanderpaul
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 am
Welcome back! I took a break a while back too. Actually, check out my track called "I think I love you". My wife's uncle wrote it.

#118585 by philbymon
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 am
HE LIVES!

Welcome back, my friend.

Had an audition last light that I kinda choked on, but it got me to dig out the ol' 5-string, which I haven't TOUCHED in over a year.

Had practice tonight for the show we're doing on the 1st, & grabbed the wrong case. Had to play with the 5 again tonight. Man, that was WEIRD! I'm so used to the patterns I used on the 4, but I adapted surprisingly well...so well, in fact, that I really shocked myself. I still won't take the chance to use it exclusively this weekend, but I'm thinking, maybe for a tune or two. It does sound pretty good!

We're talking about playing a bunch again...I still have reservations about the guitarist, but so far he seems to have a woman that can keep his drinking in check. (Yeah...I know...I'm waiting for that shoe to drop...)

Sorry about your recent luck. Wish you lived closer...I think I'd still like to replace this guy...but at least he tunes his frikken guitar, now, without my prompting him with a big foot up his whatsit...he even uses a TUNER! Maybe there is hope, after all...

#118654 by gbheil
Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 pm
neanderpaul wrote:Welcome back! I took a break a while back too. Actually, check out my track called "I think I love you". My wife's uncle wrote it.

Love it Paul!

#118700 by J-HALEY
Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:26 pm
Tis good to see you back rat. I always tell the folks that I play with. I don't mind using my p.a. but I expect help unloading and loading and if something breaks while we are using it I expect everyone to pitch in to get it fixed. I tell them that when we are using their p.a. too!

#118702 by J-HALEY
Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Paul, your song "I Think I Love You" is great I really enjoyed it! It sounds just like something the Los Lonely Boy's would write and record. We like that kind of music down here on the Texas Gulf Coast!

#119040 by ratsass
Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:56 am
J-HALEY wrote:Tis good to see you back rat. I always tell the folks that I play with. I don't mind using my p.a. but I expect help unloading and loading and if something breaks while we are using it I expect everyone to pitch in to get it fixed. I tell them that when we are using their p.a. too!

Well, I use my PA for some local festivals too, and sometimes play with different musicians other than my regulars, so my guys figure that it's probably those times that the PA breaks instead of the thousands of hours that they have made money playing through it. :)
I guess a lot of it is my fault for letting them get away with it. I just think that it would be so much better to play in a band with people who do the right things because they want to, instead of because you tell them to. I know, I know. I'm living in a fantasy world there.
Good to hear from you J. as well as all my ol' buddies on here.

#119041 by Hayden King
Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 pm
welcome back ratsass!

#119042 by neanderpaul
Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:13 pm
Thanks Sans and JH!

#119043 by ratsass
Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 pm
Hayden King wrote:welcome back ratsass!

Thank you, Hayden. Not that you've missed out on my rapier sharp wit any, considering we run in "other" circles. :)

Neanderpaul, "I Think I Love You" is a good song and I see what J. meant by it being something Los Lonely Boys would play, the vocal harmonies are really reminiscent of their style (their drummer perhaps would have added more fills). But "Nothing But Wrong" really got my attention. That song just rocks, and it's so different from all the rest of your songs. Just shows another side of your versatility. Keep 'em comin', brother.

#119047 by neanderpaul
Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 pm
Thanks for listening! Nothing but wrong is Jimmy danger on guitar and bass.

#119057 by fisherman bob
Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm
Welcome back Ratsass! The experience you had on your gig is unfortunately typical these days. And exactly what I've been saying on here many times before. When you put in the hard work that you did you HAVE to be paid a fair wage. When anybody plays for the "love" of music they are giving it away. Too many of us are being taken advantage of over and over again. The only thing left for me any more is originals and recording a CD. If I can get a PAID gig I'll take it, but there's so few of them any more that it almost isn't even worth pursuing a paid gig. I'd rather spend the time in the studio. Now if I can just find the right people to do it....