This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#114708 by Theshabbytinkerz
Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 am
Hi, new here.

We are having quite a bit of trouble defining the genre of music we are. I wondered if any muso's could pass thier ear over us and shine some light on the matter.

Were an 8 peice from luton. Music? Urban dub culture

Hope you enjoy if you do have a listen. Critisim, good is bad is really helpful as we have only been about for 10 days.

http://www.bandmix.co.uk/theshabbytinkerz

Cheers guys, will check your tracks when Its not so late.

:D

#114709 by gbheil
Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:10 am
Welcome to BandMix.

And to answer your question as honestly as I can.

I have no freaking idea. :?

Being an Texas old fart of the rock persuasion perhaps I'm not the best qualified to add lib a genre' label anyhow.

I the parlance of the land.

Best wishes mate.

#114715 by philbymon
Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:53 am
Not being up on your Brit lingo & politics, I'm missing out on a lot of the lyrical references. (What does "Par'in' It" mean, anyway?)

I hear some rappish, hippetty-hoppitty, reggae-like, refreshingly progressive, yet still kinda bluesy influences in your music.

I dub thee a PROG-HOP band, in spite of some of the throwback influences I hear in there, as well.

I love the way you've tackled the gap between the old & the new, to create your own distinct sound. Way cool, even though much of your influence is in genres that I do NOT enjoy, as a rule. The raps, the rhythms, the musical landscape, the woman's voice, the arrangements - man, you've done it!

I realize that this is not for everyone, perhaps not even for 10% of the potential listening audience, but who gives a flying flook? You have created a unique sound that will surely grab you a cult following, at the very least. Ten days? That blows my mind! You've tapped into something, that's for sure, & as you continue to evolve & to write, you're only going to get better. I hope you sound this good, live!

This is what we all strive for, if we're songwriting muso's - our own unique sound (& I realize that I am assuming that your sound is unique, only because it's so new to me. I've never heard anything like it before.). Now, of only you can keep the peace within the band, & record more of this stuff, you'll be a powerhouse act. If I were you, I'd be marketing myself to every tv station, movie production house, advertising agency, & recording company I could find. (Of course, you'll have to tone down the lyrical content of your material, for most of these outfits!)

Okay, I'm a-gonna stop gushing, now, & end this with my very best kudos. Well done!

If this is the usual in your house, I want an invite...& a ticket...& a place to stay...& a fine meal or three...but I'd be there in a heartbeat!

The only off-note - it could be better mixed & produced. The way it is, is okay, but someone else could prolly do you more justice in your recordings, & make them great.

#114738 by Theshabbytinkerz
Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 am
Seriously kind words my friend. Man I really appreciate those comments! Thanks for taking the time to listen and to give us such a good response. :D

#114758 by Black57
Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm
It's really a hip fusion of the music you love. I really like it. If you have more you should post it if you really want to define your particalur genre. I would call it fusion. Humans have been on this earth, playing music, far too long to be pigeon holed into one style or genre. Shabby, you set yourself up in a place where you can draw interest from anywhere.

I would most definitely go see your band. You do need a decent recording
of your music. I really like that you are all classically trained and that you have not let that put walls around your style but it definitely enhances you skill.

#114843 by pawncob
Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm
Reggae/rap

#117981 by Justin Ward
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 pm
Showdub?

#118077 by Starfish Scott
Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:36 pm
1st tune was reggae..

2nd was jazz/hip hop.

"Gud Lach". lol

#124750 by Scratchy
Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 pm
Hey now! Late commer here, with 2 cents I can contribute.
Keep experimenting, I think you're on the right track (if yall are still together at the time of this posting), and let the media critics decide what genre you fall on.

#125907 by J-HALEY
Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Hey, I really liked Parvin It. It really moved me emotionally. Normally I don't like rap AT ALL but the way you have done this is very tasteful with tons of melody you get a 2 thumbs up from me. I have not heard anyone combine contemporary jazz and rap that well before. keep up the good work :lol:

#125913 by RGMixProject
Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:28 pm
I feel that this falls under the main genre of Reggae

Experimental Urban Reggae :D
#136190 by Mark Phillips
Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 pm
Hi Shabby Tinkers,
A name is not easy as mostly I am hearing general funk styles with a rather over zealous perhaps Tamla Motown singing style... in over zealous I mean I was a bit distracted from the music by the vocal urging and insisting so much... "yeah and that's right etc".
Sounds nitpicking I know but you asked for our criticisms and I did think it made it sound a bit dated and stereotypical.
Instrumentation was a wizz, and that groovy fast bass is to be envied... if I have citicism of the music it is that despite very fine musicianship it never feels to be saying much or going anywhere either... a bit more background than headlining.
I say all this speaking as a composer of dirges that no one wants to listen to!
It has promise.
Mark D Phillips.......
#136197 by Mark Phillips
Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 pm
No not crap the music!
I mean that I was talking crap in my preceding post, as I had somehow listened to a different band not the Shabby Tinkers.
No you are not a funk band, and forget the over zealous vocals bit!
You are nice and quite thoughtful... bit of a Glastonbury afternoon filler band perhaps, and to give a genre? Well very hard but I hear something of rap in vocal style and word subjects.
The music is okay... maybe it sets a little too much store by the classical pianist, who needs to try to come out with something a bit more gutsy and mad Chopinesque in the composing... all a bit too safe and soothing.

Yes I hear the reggae side that someone said... hints of the Specials and Madness.
Standard of playing is very high, but neither the music nor the vocals are quite strongly convincing enough alone to be the focus of the public's collective ear... I think?
Hmm... these vocals where people talk to each other on the track are a bit up your own arse I feel: not too bad the first time you hear the track, but increasingly irritating each time you play it again.

Great potential, but for an old guy who grew up with Hendrix and Yes and Cohen and Deep Purple, it seems a bit light... but sadly I couldn't do any better!
Good luck in 2011 people!
Mark D Phillips.......