This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11038 by Androooo
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:20 pm
i think Gene Simmons and Michael Anthony are highly underrated bassists. Sure...i'm a fan of KISS and VH, but still....

as far as tasteful note placement and functionality, i'd have to give a shout out to Garry Tallent who carried the bottom end for Bruce Springsteen. phenomenal, the whole band, really.

#11520 by True_Calling
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:17 am
Cliff Burton (If I have to tell you what band, then why are you on this forum): Not the best, just VERY INVENTIVE! (tragic)
John myung (Dream Theater): CLEAN, POWER, TECHNIQUE, OVERALL SKILL
---CON: NO SLAPING WHAT SO EVER!!!
PICK PLAYERS WHO I ACTUALLY RESPECT:
REX BROWN (PanterA): ENOUGH SAID!
Rodger Glover (Deep Purple): GREAT BASS LINES! Some nice solos to.
Simon Gallup (the Cure) LOVED HIS BASS LINES, and one of the most curious and inventive bassline/chordplay writters I ever heard.

Tony
WWW.myspace.com/ditd1

#11668 by Classic Rock Therapy
Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 am
John Entwistle from The Who was my favorite bassist...Was he the best...? I don't believe there is a "best"

#11959 by DAN THE MAN
Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:18 am
I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF MUSIC YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AS FAR AS WHO IS THE BEST THERE IS ALOY OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLAYERS AND SYLES TO CHOOSE FROM BUT I PERSONALY THINK STANLEY CLARKE IS THE BEST

#11960 by jimmydanger
Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:49 am
Entwistle was great....can't overlook John Wetton, the voice and bass of King Crimson, Asia etc. Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull and Wild Turkey must be mentioned, as well as Geezer Butler. So many, so little time, etc.

#12161 by Aimless
Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:24 pm
All praises to Larry Graham: the daddy of slap.

#12174 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:10 am
DAN THE MAN wrote:I THINK IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF MUSIC YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AS FAR AS WHO IS THE BEST THERE IS ALOY OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLAYERS AND SYLES TO CHOOSE FROM BUT I PERSONALY THINK STANLEY CLARKE IS THE BEST
I am with you on 'Stanley Clarke' as one of the best. He played a stand up bass before the electric 4-string came along. And he did master the electric bass at the time. This was the era were the 'myth' was born.( A good bass player only uses his fingers), Instead of a pick. Transition from the Stand up bass to the electric 4-string.

#12175 by kenford
Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:31 am
JACO

#12226 by killed by death
Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:46 am
Lemmy is god.[quote][/quote]

#12227 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:14 am
I really get into watching and listening to Nathan East, the bassist for Eric Clapton. His timing is always perfect and his choice of notes at certain times is awesome. The guy even sings good and we all know how difficult it is to sing while playing a complicated bass run.

Anyway, he is one of my top picks.

:wink:

#12228 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:22 am
Good call 'BassBoy'. There was. Or is, A bassist with 'The Steve Miller Band' (Name) Lonnie Johnson, Im guessing? Reminded me of 'Hendrix' in ways. Dress, Stage pressence. Had a real good feel for 'Funk' at bass.

#12232 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm
:shock: We bad !!! See what drinking can do to your memory after 30 years of playing music !!

That's a well spent 2 cents...

#12237 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:57 pm
just taking a stab at it but I bet 90% of the musicians here can relate to that....

:lol: