This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#99101 by Razor7Music
Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:50 pm
Hey all--

I used to perform a lot and have been in tons of bands from the time I was a little kid, but now that I'm in my 40s and looking to join a cover band as a lead singer in Orange County, am I just dreaming that I'm going to find anything?

I left the genre open to areas I'm not 100% in love with just to open the field a little (I really like Modern Rock, but will do Classic Rock, etc), but I really don't get any bites.

I wish I had some good video footage, etc., but I don't--so, I'm wondering if any more experienced users here have any input? :idea:

#99103 by jsantos
Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm
Hello, I suggest recording a sample of your vocal talents and posting it up on your profile. You can find free recording programs on the internet. Good luck.

#99107 by jw123
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm
Music Stores, Craigs List and go to Venues with bands playing what you want to do and network with them. If you can actually sing worth a crap and Im not making any judgements cauyse I could care less, then something will break if you get yourself out into the musical community that is actually palying music. Open mics and Karoake may net some results. I think people get on these places expecting miracles well it doesnt work that way. the people that are actively palying are out there actively playing, make your face know amongst those people and soemthing will break for you.

Good Luck

#99109 by Kramerguy
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm
I recommend Craigslist and any other musician match-maker sites you can think of.

But most of all, I recommend http:openmics.org

NOTHING will equal the value of putting yourself out there and meeting the people who are participating vs. the posers sitting at home on their PC's claiming to be great musicians. HOok up with some guitar players and do a few impromptu songs.

#99112 by Razor7Music
Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 pm
Good stuff. Yea, getting out there and pushing it up a notch or 5 is definitely a good recommendation--for pretty much everything!

I've got guitar contacts and studio recordings--even a video from a want to be band audition--but the comment about the posers sitting at home behind their PCs versus someone really out there with the looks and chops really hit me.

I'm more motivated now! No, really!

:D

#99121 by philbymon
Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm
I recommend going for the genre you prefer. It isn't fair to get a band all worked up about FINALLY finding the singer they've been looking for, only to lose him when an opportunity comes up in an area of music he thinks would be better for him.

Be true to yourself about what you want to do, so that you can be true to the band that invests its valuable time in you.

#99124 by ColorsFade
Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 pm
philbymon wrote:I recommend going for the genre you prefer. It isn't fair to get a band all worked up about FINALLY finding the singer they've been looking for, only to lose him when an opportunity comes up in an area of music he thinks would be better for him.

Be true to yourself about what you want to do, so that you can be true to the band that invests its valuable time in you.

No question. Follow Phil's advice here.

I've had the same thing happen in our band. No so much with singers, but with other members. We've had this happen with a lot of bass players. We tell them we're doing new rock - rock from the past 15 years, like Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Alter Bridge, etc. They come in saying sh*t like, "Well, I prefer classic rock, but I'm willing to give this a shot". Then four weeks later they quit because a class rock band found them and we won't play "Sweet Home Stinkabama".

So dude - go for a genre you love.

Our singer is 40+. Female, awesome voice. Kicks ass on everything from ACDC to Alter Bridge. If you rock, if you're a good team player (and not an egomaniac) and you don't have a sh*tty attitude, dude, there are cover bands who would love to have you.

We looked for almost a year before we found ours.

#99125 by Razor7Music
Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Very true. I've been open about that with potential bands though. I mean, if there's nothing new on that I want to hear I will scan on over to the classic rock station and enjoy listening there too. I won't join a band where I don't like the play-list, but I'm sure you agree there needs to be some give and take because finding 4-5 guys that love 100% of their play-list 100% isn't going to happen. You just have to be upfront when you're joining the band on what you like and what "doesn't do anything for you"

UPDATE: I used advice here and got a reply from a posting on Craig's List that is smack dab in the middle of my genre passion. Pretty cool, eh?
#111738 by RO Kuster
Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm
Razor - if you are still looking, I have a situation that might be perfect for you (based on your profile).

#111745 by FunkDealer
Sun May 16, 2010 10:00 pm
I would grab a camcorder and just sing a few bars of the tunes you hope to be performing soon.

I know I do not bother to contact or even respond to people without a link to thier stuff. I ask myself, why do they not have music up, are they lazy, embarrased, or maybe too dumb to figure it out?

#111756 by Slacker G
Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 am
I played 6 nights a week for 12 years, but now I'm a poser sitting behind a DAW.

But something to be said about us posers. We hear what we really sound like and can improve on our live performances a great deal. DAW's don't lie. And we posers can use video cameras to work on our guitar faces if we really aren't that good at playing. After all, guitar faces are what you see the most at quite a few concerts these days.

I'm proud to be a poser. 8)

#111781 by philbymon
Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 am
rkust - this guy was a one-off poster. Haven't seen him since this, back in Jan.

You'll prolly hafta pay the $10 to contact him.

Nice try, though!

Good luck to you both.

#111821 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 17, 2010 4:26 pm
Sounds like fast T-REX..

#111831 by gbheil
Mon May 17, 2010 5:28 pm
Actually Razor is still "on service", sent and received a message from him yesterday.

I had renewed my membership a while back and I'm glad I did.
I have received some important communications and been able to contact some people as well.
Perhaps my situation is different than most, yet I find this service to be invaluable at times.
Not that business is overflowing but some of the contacts have been important to me personally, and to our band.