This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#10514 by [email protected]
Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:30 pm
I NEED EVERYONES HELP; I AM A ASPIRING COUNTRY SINGER IN MARYLAND AND I NEED EVERYONE WHO READS THIS TO GO TO WWW.WPOC.COM (A LOCAL RADIO STATION)

THEN CLICK ON "VOTE NATIONAL ANTHEM" THEN CLICK ON MY NAME
KELLEY LARSON

THEN CONTEST ENDS FRIDAY @ 5PM. YESTERDAY I WAS IN FIRST PLACE WITH 32% NOW I AM IN 4TH. I REALLY WANT THIS BAD. SO PLEASE EVERYONE WHO IS A PERFORMER KNOWS THE RUSH YOU GET ON STAGE ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF 25,000 PEOPLE. AND SOMEONE IMPORTANT MIGHT SEE YOU. PLEASE HELP

I WAS ONLY 14 WHEN I DID THAT NATIONAL ANTHEM WE SENT IN , GIVE ME A BREAK

PLEASE HELP

MORE OF ME AND MY MUSIC AT MYSPACE.COM/KELLEYELG

#10525 by HarleyJay
Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:20 am
Why would anyone take a guy in a striped shirt and sport coat seriously, especially his opinions about Pantera, a band that kept metal alive in the lame ass 90's!!!!!!!!!!!

#10526 by mistermikev
Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:24 am
oh no you didn't... I sense a several page dissagreement about to start...
I think the first eight pages probably demonstrates where I stand so I won't bother reexpressing my opinion of how pantera was the last great innnovation in metal...
so with no further ado.......................

let the bitchslappin' begin!

#10665 by SDavis22
Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:30 am
HarleyJay wrote:Why would anyone take a guy in a striped shirt and sport coat seriously, especially his opinions about Pantera, a band that kept metal alive in the lame ass 90's!!!!!!!!!!!

I came back to Bandmix to find this? Looks like I touched another nerve... You're not dumb enough to judge people by their looks are you? What's wrong with a sports coat? Too classy for you?

And were the '90s lame because, in your opinion, Heavy Metal just wasn't up to par? There was some pretty good Alternative Rock and definitely a lot of great Rap in the '90s... not sure if you like any of that...

#10670 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Working with an Alternative/Modern Rock band that does [Walk - By Pantera] I will admit, Vocals have to have alot of atittude! I can hear where, Metalica is influenced by Pantera. A little hard for my taste, Although they are unique & have my respect as one of the core metal bands.

#10936 by 3186358144
Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 pm
What the hell is wrong with you old geezers? Dimebag Darrell was the greatest guitarist that ever lived. Secondly, Pantera kicked started metal's evolution process and rescued it from the cross-dressing pop direction it was taking in the 80's.(Thank God) And finally, Pantera is basically the blueprint for everything that is considered metal today. Ask any real "Metal Band" today and they will tell you the same. O, and if you don't like it don't listen to it! THERE'S MILLIONS TO TAKE YOUR PLACE! R.I.P. DARRELL LANCE ABBOTT----8-20-66---12-8-04 :evil:

#10940 by mistermikev
Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 am
wow you sound like one of those "jump on the bandwagon cause he's dead" kinda folks... but then you are older so I'm not sure how to take that...

I bought a copy of powermetal, I saw cowboys from hell with less than 100 other people at a dive club in GB...

Dimebag was a good gtr player, he's not the savior of the universe... there are tons of guys that are better than him,

"Pantera kicked started metal's evolution process" what the hell do you even mean by that?
Lets face it metal came around long before pantera showed up on the scene... they only postponed the inevitable death of metal and a subsequent resurection of many new 'variations' on the sound. The replacement metal is nothing like the metal I knew... and is not anywhere near as widespread in popularity...
"Ask any real "Metal Band" today " -let me stop you right there... there aren't any real metal bands today... even metallica has become something other than where it began... a mere shadow of itself...
When I hear korn and limpbizcut and pappa roach and slipknot and many other variants on what I would call metal, I don't see much of a connection to phil ensolmos singing voice or dimebags rythm style. I'm sure you could whip out a long list of bands you consider metal... and I'm sure I haven't heard of any of them... but mostly cause I got tired of the whole "angry" thing... but perhaps it's no coincidence that I have much less to be angry about these days...

now, keep in mind part of what would qualify it as metal is it's proximity to the original time-span which is a long ways in the past now.

Oh, and geezers... you sound like shaggy from scooby doo. was that your bday tho? 66? who the hell you callin geezer... sir? I guess you meant metal bands like black sabbath and dio (whatever they are called now). well, god bless ya for trying anyway...

yeah, cemetary gates had some cool vocals/gtr, this love was a brilliant way to tell a story, drag the waters... hollow... many others were able to breath life into the genre - despite it's recognized death...
but I could think of at least 20 other METAL guitarists I would rank higher in terms of "greatest METAL guitarist that ever lived"... starting with yngwie, jeff watson, brad gillis, marty friedman, randy rhodes, zak wylde, michael angelo, reb beach, bruce kulick, don dokken, and a crapload of others...
while dimebag certainly deserves a spot among them... he does't deserve the throne at the top IMO.
cheers.