This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#104764 by petertoshsghost
Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 am
I feel like it is easy to hear the influence that Rick James had on funk, but Im curious about the general perception of Rick’s influence on the genre and how people see his legacy. Do you think his sound was the next step in a progression from James Brown to George Clinton to Rick or a radical shift for the genre?

#104777 by fisherman bob
Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 am
It wasn't really too long after Rick James' popularity that elements of rap started to emerge. It's impossible to say how much of an influence James was to the evolving music scene at the time but you can hear that he was sort of a bridge between genres of music. I kind of liked some of his material. Don't think he a genius or anything like that, but he was fun to listen to...

#106775 by sharpieboy99
Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:57 pm
I'm not sure I would follow the progression of Brown to Clinton to James, But Rick James was a strong branch in the funk tree. I think there were lots of artists making very funky music alongside of Rick James: Cameo, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Sly Stone, and Prince.

#106785 by mistermikev
Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 am
I like rick james... enjoyed brick house, super freak, and 'party all the time'.
rick certainly had an impact.

but, when I think funk I think funk bass, and when I think funk bass I think sly and the family stone-
larry graham is probably the single most influential bass guitarist in the funk genre and possibly in the last 50 years.

He often gets little credit... but he literally invented slap bass.
that in my mind was the corner stone of all funk that came after it, and changed the way bass could be heard in many other styles of music.
clearly larry was a huge influence on bootsy.
so in answer to your question, in my mind... I just would list rick james among james brown, parlament and sly.
on the other hand, I'm almost certain he sold more albums than sly... so I could see why folks would make that argument.

#106856 by Prevost82
Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm
I have to say that James Brown started it ... then a bunch of bands jumped on board in the late 60's

The Funky Meters
The Isley Brothers,
Sly & the Family Stone

Then in the 70's

P-Funk
Brides of Funkenstein
Rufus & Chaka Khan
Ohio Players
Confunkshun
and I'd put Herbie Hancock in there too

Rick James realy didn't hit the funk scene until the early 80's ... but I agree he did make a impact.

Ron

#109288 by sharpieboy99
Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 am
James also evolved past his contemporaries with Reflection Eternal, the Hip Hop classic he produced for Talib Kweli.

#109300 by Krul
Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:30 am
Around Rick's time we also had the Barqays, Brothers Johnson, Kool and The Gang. Who appeared to be heavily influenced by Curtis Mayfield, along with the other funk bands already mentioned.

#109342 by Hayden King
Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 pm
Bootsy Collins is "The Funk Master"