This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#106112 by Chippy
Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:45 pm
I think you posted some storming stuff of one kid some time ago Phil.

philbymon wrote:Whatever happened to the accordian?

#106124 by Cretindilettante
Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:49 pm
Ok, so you don't give a damn about being popular or successful, so what are you bitching about? My view of what music should be is from the Consumer end of it...

That means you're only in it for the money and the social status that comes with it. Destroy your guitar and quit music forever.

not the self centered, egotistical musician side of things. Music is what People enjoy... not what musicians enjoy. Now it actually turns out, since most musicians are people... the stuff I like, and what the crowd likes is similar.

Why would you be a musician if you didn't enjoy it? Wouldn't you want to have fun and come up with new ways to do things to add to the excitement of being a musician? How do you know that people won't like something new?

You can play all of that junk and noise without other musicians, why aren't you out there doing it instead of in here trying to convince us we're all half wits because we are non inventive bands playing Guitar, bass and drums?

It's hard to find percussionists willing to walk away from a drum set and beat on scrap metal, nevermind an entire percussive ensemble beating on scrap metal. That, and I am poor and the only gear I have right now is a microkorg and a korg ea-1 bass synth.

Maybe its because you can't sell that crap. The market for non musical crap is loaded... hell the market for Musical CRAP is overloaded... but for the stuff your clucking about, there is a very limited market, and you want other folks to join you in being non popular?

Who cares about selling music? It's worthless, it's just VIBRATING AIR and nothing more. I just want to have fun and include others on having fun. I want to perform with my audience and have both of us going home thinking "This was a good experience, I'd like to do it again.".

Why don't you form a Throbbing Gristle Tribute band? Can that stuff be "covered"? CCR, ZZ Top, Dylan, Zepplin, ect, could all be covered by the Lawrence Welk band... could be replayed by people on non similar instruments because its actually musical. Y'know, that pesky 12 semitone thing that REAL musicians pay attention to and abide by?
There is no such thing as a real musician. You are not special for dedicating years of your life to studying a device that makes sound based on the western tonal scale. Also, cover bands are sh*t.

If that is truly music, then why aren't more MUSICIANS Playing it? I'll tell you why, because that is SEQUENCING, its PROGRAMMING, its COMPOSITION... y'know, like taking GARBAGE and making ART out of it. Maybe you can call it art... but its not music.

Again, stop thinking that anything that eschews the western tonal system isn't music. Go listen to serialism or atonal stuff and try telling those composers that what they do is talentless.

Ahh, the old sellout routine, your right, I should toss my guitar and amp into the next dumpster I find and start beating on cars as a performance art.
Yes, please do trash your guitar. You don't deserve it.

How about you can play any kind of crap you want to, unless you can get an AUDIENCE to stand still and enjoy it you are just making noise. You can even make noise with Bass, Guitar and Drums, but of course we have the artists you pointed out... that, Gee.... they're seeking an audience, well they must be sell outs. Trying to be popular... what were they thinking?
If you noticed, there were some good sized crowds in each video I linked you too, all of them having fun (and in EN's case, participating in) at the show.

But dude... popularity sucks, why would they want a crowd to appreciate what they do? Its Art... they should walk off the stage in protest because people showed up. Did they also accept a recording contract... did they make money? Those pathetic fools, what were they thinking... now they too are just sell outs.

Having popularity is not a negative thing. Playing music as a means to become popular is, however. I want to play music and perform for people because it is fun, and it doesn't matter how large the crowd is. I'd perform a show for one person if it meant sharing good times with them.
Last edited by Cretindilettante on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#106125 by Cretindilettante
Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:53 pm
jimmydanger wrote:
Cretindilettante wrote:
RLP4 wrote:I have had such a sheltered life, at 49 I discovered Korn, at 50 I found Metalica, I'm hoping for something even better at 51. I think the digital / cd age has enhanced music so much.

I don't think rock is dead, just the passion that leads to great rock and roll.

Dig deeper, try these:

King Crimson
David Bowie
The Stooges
Joy Division
The Zombies
Melvins
Wiseblood
Bauhaus
The Cure
Rasputina
Death (The Detroit band, not the death metal band.)
My Bloody Valentine (Not to be confused with the generic metal band, Bullet For my Valentine.)
Celtic Frost (Since you already like some Thrash Metal.)
Megadeth ( An ex Metallica member's band, much better than Metallica.)
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne's solo stuff
Big Black
A Place To Bury Strangers
The Flaming Lips
Satyricon
Kylesa
Baroness
Giant Squid
Fudge Tunnel
Blacktusk
Witch
Alice in Chains
Jane's Addiction
The Cranberries
Smashing Pumpkins
Marilyn Manson

You're welcome, bro.

All of these groups use bass/drums/guitar as the foundation for the music. Where they differentiate is the other instruments and voices they put on top. Guitar, bass and drums has become THE foundation for all popular music in the past sixty years because of the versatality and efficiency aspect; nearly any kind of music can be performed by three experienced, crafty musicians. Of course there's a place in the world for glass rubbing, spoon playing, trash can stomping groups. But for modern music you cannot beat guitar, bass and drums. When I saw Devo they played all electronic instruments for the first 90 minutes of the show. At the end, "real" instruments rose out the stage and they proceeded to rock out! The bottom line, it's not the instruments that matter, it's the musicians.

Well of course I like bands with guitars, bass, and drums. I just said that we should shift our focus and diversify a lot more. A few of these bands play the guitar "the wrong way" to create a new sound with it. I think that if you take enough time to learn and practice whatever noise making device you play, you'll come up with new ways to play it if you're creative.

#106144 by Casper1
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 pm
I hear you, passion also has a lot to do with it.

#106615 by Cretindilettante
Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:05 am
...So I take it Dewy stopped playing guitar forever because he realized that I am right?

#106626 by Krul
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 am
Cretindilettante wrote:...So I take it Dewy stopped playing guitar forever because he realized that I am right?

Of course you are. :roll:

Your statement is very narcissist.

#106633 by Cretindilettante
Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 am
Kruliosis wrote:
Cretindilettante wrote:...So I take it Dewy stopped playing guitar forever because he realized that I am right?

Of course you are. :roll:

Your statement is very narcissist.

Sarcasm != narcissism.

I just think it's funny that he hasn't responded since I posted a response.

#106672 by ColorsFade
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 pm
I just bought tickets to see the Goo Goo Dolls :-)

So now my May concert schedule includes Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Nickleback and Goo Goo Dolls. And I'm considering getting tickets for another Goo Goo Dolls show two days after the one I already have tickets to...

I LOVE the Goo Goo Dolls. One of my favorite bands. Live in Buffalo DVD is always playing at my house...

ROCK & ROLL forever!

#106730 by Krul
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 pm
You got a busy schedule there ColorsFade. :)

I could kick myself for missing Megadeth. Hope they come around again. Mustaine says he's only going to do one more album and then retire.