This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#106202 by Slacker G
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:23 pm
I loaded it on an ECS MoBo and it kinda worked. After a day of frustration, I took the Hdd out and put it in a newer Gigabyte. Everything loaded just fine.

I had problems with the vid card in the ECS and the media player wouldn't work right. Gigabyte eliminated all of those problems automatically with the new install.

With tons of free software to cover almost everything I can't believe I waited so long to give it a shot. I still can't figure out how to load programs like Video Lan, but I am sure I will get there in short order. A bit of Geek Speak in the loading files procedure, but I am sold on what these guys are doing. :D :D

#106203 by philbymon
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:25 pm
Man! I wish I knew what you just said!

I think my flimjaflanger's stuck, again, & I HATE when that happens!
#106211 by Chippy
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 pm
Yes I've tried it and found the same too as regards the video cards. they don't provide a good enough list of compatible ones frankly.

Try linux mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/
Although the latest package is 9.10 based too.
I do have Mint 7 which is what I'm running at present complete with a studio bundle.

Nice to see some like free stuff.
Kudos Slacker. :D

Slacker G wrote:I loaded it on an ECS MoBo and it kinda worked. After a day of frustration, I took the Hdd out and put it in a newer Gigabyte. Everything loaded just fine.
I had problems with the vid card in the ECS and the media player wouldn't work right. Gigabyte eliminated all of those problems automatically with the new install.
With tons of free software to cover almost everything I can't believe I waited so long to give it a shot. I still can't figure out how to load programs like Video Lan, but I am sure I will get there in short order. A bit of Geek Speak in the loading files procedure, but I am sold on what these guys are doing. :D :D

#106243 by Slacker G
Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:07 pm
Supposedly there are some vid card work arounds for video cards that don't load properly, like modifying the vid card refresh rates. But I'm far too ignorant to understand techspeak. They give instructions for a lot of the problems that I had, but again :? :? Long learning curve ahead, but even after just a couple of days with it I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll check out linux mint. I am NOT going to be locked into Vista or Windows 7 (Samey samey different namey) And more and more programs are demanding SP3 for XP. No way Hosea.

I am using Sonar 4 Producer and a lot of other windows based software on my DAW's. That keeps me locked into windows for a while, but I have seen light years of advances in linux since it first came into being. :D

Thanks for the tip, Chippy. I will check it all out.
#106258 by Cretindilettante
Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 pm
Slacker G wrote:I loaded it on an ECS MoBo and it kinda worked. After a day of frustration, I took the Hdd out and put it in a newer Gigabyte. Everything loaded just fine.

I think instead of taking your computer to geek squad, you should learn how to actually use ubuntu and it's command line. If your hardware isn't compatible you need to search the internet for drivers and whatnot, download the source code, and compile it yourself. If you want an OS geared for music production, download Ubuntu Studio rather than vanilla Ubuntu.

#106260 by Chippy
Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:53 pm
Hi Slacker this might be of some help, not sure?
http://www.tuxaudio.blogspot.com/

This bloke posted on Linux mint and provided a Tutorial to get it up and running. ARdour 10 which I have to say is just as confusing as pro-tools is coming out shortly and it include full midi support this time around. I did try it, it looks impressive, very impressive (In a Darth Vader voice).

There was a poll on Linuxmusicians.com and 64Studio wins hands down for all media work on Linux thus far.

I'm pretty sure you'll run into problems with Sonar on Linux as they play catch up with new releases and getting them to work however :(

I know for a fact 9.10 isn't good at supporting older hardware, they have moved on just like windows did and this caused a few problems for some people including myself. There is a workaround as you say but its just fiddly really.

Like you I have to use Windows at the moment but most will get ticked off as time passes I hope. I cannot say too much about mint at all. 'Wine Doors' allows install of many Windows programs, a surprising few frankly and all Microsoft office apps, all work seamlessly. My main PC is however Linux only. It's a breeze frankly once you find out what buttons to press? just like flying a rocket ship frankly. :D

Hope you get what you want from it.
Best regards.
Chippo.

Slacker G wrote:Supposedly there are some vid card work arounds for video cards that don't load properly, like modifying the vid card refresh rates. But I'm far too ignorant to understand techspeak. They give instructions for a lot of the problems that I had, but again :? :? Long learning curve ahead, but even after just a couple of days with it I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll check out linux mint. I am NOT going to be locked into Vista or Windows 7 (Samey samey different namey) And more and more programs are demanding SP3 for XP. No way Hosea.

I am using Sonar 4 Producer and a lot of other windows based software on my DAW's. That keeps me locked into windows for a while, but I have seen light years of advances in linux since it first came into being. :D

Thanks for the tip, Chippy. I will check it all out.
#106347 by Slacker G
Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 am
Cretindilettante wrote:

I think instead of taking your computer to geek squad, you should learn how to actually use ubuntu and it's command line. If your hardware isn't compatible you need to search the internet for drivers and whatnot, download the source code, and compile it yourself. If you want an OS geared for music production, download Ubuntu Studio rather than vanilla Ubuntu.

That would be the way to do it. However, I have no desire to begin programming. I'm a guitar player. I need to spend more time doing that.

But, I design my own gear. I design the circuits, draft the PC board artwork, make and etch the boards and all that crap. I make my own pre amplifiers,& power amplifiers (Even 12 volt battery operated 400Watt units. ) Build my own guitars, and effects, and still mess with photography once in a while when I'm not writing songs and working them out or building motorcycles........ or riding them. :)

Like I would have the time to start learning code (Although I did once as an mature radio operator) and making my own systems. :shock:

Chippy,

I'm going to track down a bunch of stuff. I did find some of what I need through Google. I will use the links you guys posted. And I think I will check out all the music programs. There is a group that sells a set of 7 DVD's with all the applications on them. Supposedly every one out there.

Thanks for everyones input.
#106351 by Cretindilettante
Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 am
Slacker G wrote:
Cretindilettante wrote:

That would be the way to do it. However, I have no desire to begin programming. I'm a guitar player. I need to spend more time doing that.

But, I design my own gear. I design the circuits, draft the PC board artwork, make and etch the boards and all that crap. I make my own pre amplifiers,& power amplifiers (Even 12 volt battery operated 400Watt units. ) Build my own guitars, and effects, and still mess with photography once in a while when I'm not writing songs and working them out or building motorcycles........ or riding them. :)

Like I would have the time to start learning code (Although I did once as an mature radio operator) and making my own systems. :shock:

Chippy,

I'm going to track down a bunch of stuff. I did find some of what I need through Google. I will use the links you guys posted. And I think I will check out all the music programs. There is a group that sells a set of 7 DVD's with all the applications on them. Supposedly every one out there.

Thanks for everyones input.

You don't really need to learn how to program your computer, you just need to learn how to navigate your system using the language it understands. Programming is building things with a language, learning command line is just learning to use and customize your experience with your computer using a language. Ubuntu requires much less of such things as it is aimed at beginners, but it will be of much use to you if you can learn to the more detailed aspects of your system.

If you want to make music NOW, just use a computer with Windows on it to make music for the time being, and tinker around with your linux machine until you get the hang of it enough to be comfortable with using it for music production.

#106353 by Lorem Ipsum
Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 am
I use Ubuntu Studio 9.10. My friend convinced me to use Linux a couple years ago because of their free software philosophy (and also convinced me to use ogg instead of mp3 and a whole bunch of other things). Not much more to say about that... I had a myriad of problems to deal with to get it working properly but it also helped me learn a lot about the system because of it. That's generally how Linux works; it's broken until you learn to fix it.

Also, I have an Ubuntu sticker on my guitar. Just a bit of a nerdy note. :!:

#106354 by Chippy
Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 am
Eeek.
I don't really agree with that but do agree that some problems exist. These in the main are hardware related as I'm sure you will know. I don't consider you a nerd either, its a wise move to learn linux since and as you know again it comes in packets small enough to launch from a Floppy drive.

Apart from Xandros who sold themselves out to Windows Linux mint 7 is without doubt a classy distro and with an Real Time Kernel is more than capable for recording. I know, I've done it. Nice to hear from yet another Linux user. :D
Best.

Cognitive_Response wrote: That's generally how Linux works; it's broken until you learn to fix it.

#106407 by Cretindilettante
Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:59 pm
Cognitive_Response wrote:I use Ubuntu Studio 9.10. My friend convinced me to use Linux a couple years ago because of their free software philosophy (and also convinced me to use ogg instead of mp3 and a whole bunch of other things). Not much more to say about that... I had a myriad of problems to deal with to get it working properly but it also helped me learn a lot about the system because of it. That's generally how Linux works; it's broken until you learn to fix it.

Also, I have an Ubuntu sticker on my guitar. Just a bit of a nerdy note. :!:

.Ogg isn't great for music production. If you want the highest quality possible for rendering, then use FLAC or 320kbps MP3 as your format.

#106458 by Slacker G
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:15 pm
Hey,

This is more fun than windows ever was!!! I went to

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/vlc

And downloaded the 1386 package. Then I went to about every forum to find out how to install it properly. Lotsa different instructions from various geeks.

I spent the greater share of a 24 hour period trying to get Ubuntu to find it. Well, at least I opened it and unzipped it without any problems. Other than that, the VLC player sits in my home folder, proudly displayed for the envy of all the other folders.

Linux is for masochists, right? I haven't had the need for a good spanking since I installed Ubuntu.
Last edited by Slacker G on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#106459 by Chippy
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 pm
Good for you Slacker LOL! :D

#106461 by Slacker G
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm
Yeah, Chippy,

It didn't load, therefore it didn't work. But I can show the file to my friends is they ever get curious as to why I can't play MP3's, mov's, Mp4's and the likes.

However, I am not the type to give up. I'll just wait until my hair grows back and dig in again.

#106462 by Chippy
Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm
Did you check the midsum?
Sorry pal I wasn't being sarcastic.

The midsum is a generic set of characters that line a sequence which tells you the downloader if the file downloaded properly? Sounds a hash but it isn't really.
Hey go to my myspace account and drop me a line.

I'll help, no worries.

Slacker G wrote:Yeah, Chippy,

It didn't load, therefore it didn't work. But I can show the file to my friends is they ever get curious as to why I can't play MP3's, mov's, Mp4's and the likes.