This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#104363 by Beth C
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:39 am
Any comments or thoughts?

Personally I like 90's music, i grew up on it, pop and rock both.
The rock was just cool and the pop always had 3 part singing.

#104385 by jw123
Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm
Every era of music has some great moments and some not so great moments.

But Ive found it just depends on where you are coming from. I may name an artist that you cant stand and you may name one I cant stand. So whats the point? There is none.

Saying the 90s covers a lot of ground. I just find your post very vague, and it may be hard for folks to comment.

Good Luck with whatever it is you seek musically!
#104390 by Groove-in
Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:04 pm
EVERYBODY, grew up listening to an era of music. Whether it be the, 1920's---30's---40's---50's---60's----etc,etc. My era was mostly 1953--to--1964. YES, I'm old ! But, in that period, that is my groove. And, I can't shake it ! As with your era, you will NEVER be able to find a groove that appeals to you more. You will always be attracted to the era of music that you listened to, in your teen years. If not, the exact songs, definitely the same style. Yes, It last a lifetime.

#104424 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm
For me, personally, I can't name anything from the 90's that defined the era.
I can say classic rock (70's) and think Skynyrd and the Eagles.
I can say early pop/rock (60's) and think Beatles and Stones.
I can say Hair Metal (80's-Poison, Warrant) or New Wave (Duran Duran).
I never really got into grunge music, and besides that, I don't see anything definitive in the manner I've demonstrated (coming out of the 90's).
Again, that's just me. I don't even like covering stuff from the 90's. It's not old enough to be familiar to a widespread audience, and it's not new enough to be relevant. Then again, I'm an opinionated S.O.B. :lol:

#104425 by philbymon
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Hey Joseph, would you say that the 90's were better or worse than the 00's?

#104429 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm
Unfortunately, I consider them to be the same. It all feels very random to me. Probably why I haven't bought a CD from a new band since 1989.
:roll:

#104431 by Sir Jamsalot
Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 pm
80's & 90's music are what I grew up listening to. Then again, I also remember 60's and 70's music riding to school in my parent's ford-pinto :) Oh the memories.

#104441 by Kramerguy
Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm
to me the 90's were defined by RHCP, RATM, AIC, KMFDM, and 100 other acronyms. But, "new alternative", combined with pop, like 4 non blondes, devinyls, spin doctors, Cake, etc.. is that "sound" the OP is probably referring to.

As much as the 80's sound encapsules Duran Duran, Madonna, Huey Lewis, and Iron Maiden, Dokken, etc..

WHen we think of the 80's we think of them all, in a way. Same with the 90's to me.

Now.. the 00's? Crap. Very few things to like... but maybe I'm getting old.

I do like KOL, and some other more obscure stuff, but not like I did the 80's and 90's stuff!
#104450 by jsantos
Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:58 pm
Beth C wrote:Any comments or thoughts?

Personally I like 90's music, i grew up on it, pop and rock both.
The rock was just cool and the pop always had 3 part singing.

Hi Beth! The 90s was a great era in music. There were many good things happening in popular music and the underground. It was a good time to be a musician too, as many styles were embraced, and new genres formed. I think some of the music from the 90s will be around for a long time and eventually become classics.

#104477 by gtZip
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 am
philbymon wrote:Hey Joseph, would you say that the 90's were better or worse than the 00's?

I'll be Joseph for a moment.

The 90's were way better than the 00's.

Nothing from the 90's that defined the era??
I would say the Seattle explosion.

Nirvana
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam (Mother Love Bone)
Alice in Chains

Other than that, there was a 'anything goes' vibe in the 90s.
Any style, any time, mix and match.
People were interested in all kinds of music. (Except for hair metal, which was fashionable to bash)

#104483 by fisherman bob
Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:12 am
Sorry I have no opinion on 90's music. I'm a hopeless old blues guy. Blues has been around forever and will probably continue to be around forever. There's been good blues created in every decade. ANd that trend will continue on indefinitely...

#104494 by CraigMaxim
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:35 am

I like alot of stuff that came out in the 90's, but then, I liked grunge groups that came out, like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, etc...

And I have always dug alternative, in various forms, so I am a fan as well, of Goo Goo Dolls, Cake, Incubus, Soundgarden, Fuel, etc...

Stone Temple Pilots was another good band.

I liked Guns N Roses, when they first came out too.

Well, a few of these may be late 80's but still right in that time frame.

I think there were ALOT of good bands that came out in the 90's. And alot of them were like an answer, to where music in the 80's was headed. :lol:

#104517 by jimmydanger
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 pm
There's still a lot of good bands that came out after the 90's. The Bravery and Franz Ferdinand; The Flaming Lips and 311 made a big impact too. If you don't know who these bands are you are missing out.

#104527 by TheCaptain
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm
yeah some good stuff..
U2 were still going strong..

can't hold a candle to the 80's though...

:)

#104608 by Beth C
Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 am
i dont know, 80's had hair metal......