This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#103722 by Michael954
Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 am
Remember when hearing great 3-5 part harmony in music was the norm and not th exception? I love vocal harmonies and am looking to integrate that art form into the music / covers I do. Hope you enjoy the same influences (old ones... Journey, Eagles, Boston, Styx, and the newer ones as well)...
#103724 by CraigMaxim
Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:58 am
Michael954 wrote:Remember when hearing great 3-5 part harmony in music was the norm and not th exception? I love vocal harmonies and am looking to integrate that art form into the music / covers I do. Hope you enjoy the same influences (old ones... Journey, Eagles, Boston, Styx, and the newer ones as well)...

Michael, we were just discussing this in another thread.

Alot of musicians and artists here love vocal harmonies, it's not always so easy to find people who both play AND sing. But harmony is awesome. Like having extra instruments in the band, and better, because the resonance of the human voice, is it's own unique sound.

If you got a band with good harmonies, count yourself lucky!

#103725 by jimmydanger
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 am
Well carry on my wayward son, and don't look back. I do remember those days - they were just before punk and new wave, which was music's way of saying "time for a change". Now it's thirty-some years later and we've had rap, grunge, death metal, emo and screamo. So you're gonna raise the river Styx from the dead?

edit: Sorry, I must have had too many tequila sunrises.
Last edited by jimmydanger on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#103756 by philbymon
Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:24 pm
I see nothing wrong with using multiple harmonies on many indy songs. The solo singer is getting boring to me, & doesn't require that much attention or skill.

#103776 by Michael954
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm
God Bless You Bro!!! You just made my day brighter knowing that there are few of us that still get that chill up the spine when those 3-5 part vocals layer on top of a really tight chorus line.

Rock On!!!

#103867 by RhythmMan
Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 am
I played with one of my band members on sunday as a duo, and the songs we did with harmonies got more audience response than anything.
As a quartet, we sing several original songs with 3 and 4 part harmonies. Some of my songs have 5 part harmonies written for them; I'm looking for 2 more female voices to flesh out the sound.
I love harmonies.

#104018 by PercyPercy
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:57 pm
My first band was made up of mediocre musicians with cheap sound system... but we had killer 4-part harmonies! We played regionally for 14 years and made loads of money -- by covering our less-than-stellar musical skills and equipment with those great harmonies. It was amazing sometimes just how great we could sound -- as long as we were singing!

To this day, I'd rather sing a great harmony line than a lead.

#104076 by fisherman bob
Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 am
I have to admit that's one of the weaknesses of my band. We do some vocal harmonies but we don't practice them nearly enough. That's one of the things we need to do is set aside an entire rehearsal every month and do nothing but practice our harmonies. We don't have them on every song. Most blues bands have little or no vocal harmonies, but we do a lot of tunes where they can be utilized effectively. I enjoy listening to harmonies and if and when we do them I want them to be killer. Takes a LOT of practice, something that people lately seem to be allergic to...

#104079 by althegoalie
Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 am
Have you ever heard the band Jellyfish? The music is kind of trippy, but their vocal harmonies are fantastic.

#104080 by J-HALEY
Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 am
I don't really understand this post. Not understanding a simple triad is really a no BRAINER! The most boring thing to me is a two part vocal harmony. I played in a band that had 5 great musicians that sang LEAD & HARMONY. The best compliment we ever got was we were accused of not accutally singing. I suggest you folks go to my site and check iot out.