This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#9886 by tlnelson
Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:17 pm
Hey all, I know I already posted a thread about age and persuing your dreams, but I wanted to start a thread about getting signed versus just being in a unsigned local band.

I had my voice lesson the other day and I was talking to my teacher about this subject. She said she thought that at my age, 43, I wouldn't be able to get a record deal but I would still be able to be in local cover bands and that's about it, as to performing. She said there are alot of other avenues I can get into to, and I know that, but when it comes to being on stage, that's what I wanna do. I want to start out being in a cover band but then branch out and do originals too and go as far as I can.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it too late to for me to even think about getting signed one of these days?

I don't write music, but she suggested that I start taking music theory and learn how to write. When I get the money to do so, I'm going to look into it. What I see myself doing is collaborating.

Tracy

#9893 by Irminsul
Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:31 pm
Realistically, one's chances of "getting signed" by a major decrease with every passing year. I'd agree with your teacher on that one. Anamolies do happen though, and every once in a while you do see an older person emerge on the charts - but that usually is because of some extraordinary or bizarre feature of their music and/or performing abilities ("UncleWheez - 58 - wows audiences at Lalapalooza with his renditions of 19th century Russian pieces on Jew's harp"...etc....)

Over all the majors sign very young and (if you're female) perfect looking artists whose musical abilities are far down the list of signing criteria. Sad, but thats the way it is.

But, here is the real question....is there such a dire need to get signed in this day and age? With the advent of indie music and DIY recording, distribution, promottion and touring, I would propose to you that being signed to a record contract is somewhat of an ubergoal from a bygone age. I was involved in a neoCeltic act for five years, that was self managed, self recorded and self booked on the Festival touring circuit. We played some great shows and sold our CDs hand over fist at just about every show we played. It was very satisifying artistically and financially (it provided most of a good living at the time). You could do the same type of thing, and never have to tear your hair out stressing about getting signed as the years drag on.

Just something to think about. Good luck to you.

#9989 by winterinmay
Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:28 pm
I have come to realize that getting "signed" is not the way to go and will most likely never happen for my band. Our ages range from 28 to 31 and our style is not "what's hot" But there are still a few members that hold on to the dream of the "big signing". Due to the internet and DIY bands, Major Lables are being brought to their knees. Just look at the numbers, over the past 6 years albums sales have dropped drasticly. I think that within the next 5 years (maybe sooner) major labels will be a distant memory.

DIY baby...DIY.

#9997 by thesoftcity
Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:54 pm
Debbie Harry, Jarvis Cocker (Pulp) and Leonard Cohen were all in their mid-thirties when they had their first hits. I'm sure there are more. Lots of underground acts cope without being very young. Depends what you want to do!

#9999 by sweeps
Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:41 am
I think it has to do with your fan base. If you bring big numbers to your shows and get a local buzz about you, then some record guy will have dollar signs in his eyes. Its all about sales. I dont think it matters what genre or age. It s all about cash in my opinion.

#10026 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 am
In the early 90' good song writters and bands were dropped from major lables in favor of the Seattle sound. Songwritting and musicianship has fallen below standards since then. I think that's why Major Lables are dying for those reasons, the sale of new artist are very minimal when compared to new artists from 20 years ago.
#10034 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:12 pm
You can have the satisfaction of being in a cover band AND doing originals at the same time. Don't worry about ever getting signed. Go the indie route, get a CD recorded whenever you're ready and even throw a few of your originals in when you're performing your covers. If they're good enough nobody will even know the difference. At the age you're at simply enjoy the music you perform and create as much music as you want. ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS pursue your creative ideas. Do covers the way YOU want to do them. Don't copy songs note for note (unless you want to). It's BORING to hear a band play something exactly like the original. That's what DJ's or juke boxes are for. You're a musician, you have creativity, explore it and ENJOY your music. I play music (over 25 years professionally) for ENJOYMENT. When it's no longer any fun I'll go fishing instead. Later...

#10042 by JJW III
Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:21 pm
I often think about this topic and this is the way I see it. If one writes great music, and can generate a huge fan base, then age is of no concern. I believe that what musicians miss is that this is a business. If you can make the club, record company etc. money and lots of it, that is all they care about.

Talent is what is it all about.

#10065 by tlnelson
Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:33 am
Hey all, thanks for replying to this thread. I really appreciate your feedback and advice. I've learned so much since I've been apart of Band Mix. I'm going to continue the path I'm on and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more songs recorded and uploaded on here soon.

Thanks again,

Tracy

P.S. Wegman, you rock man. You're an awesome guitarist. Too bad we don't live closer, would really like to hook up musically.

#10070 by JJW III
Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 pm
tlnelson,

Thank you ever so much for the kind words.

If you have the means I work over the internet. I do it with/for others.

#10072 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:01 pm
Right On........"Wegman". TALENT :!: Is everything.
Wegman wrote:I often think about this topic and this is the way I see it. If one writes great music, and can generate a huge fan base, then age is of no concern. I believe that what musicians miss is that this is a business. If you can make the club, record company etc. money and lots of it, that is all they care about.

#10074 by JJW III
Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:38 pm
Vocals & Bass wrote:Right On........"Wegman". TALENT :!: Is everything.
Wegman wrote:I often think about this topic and this is the way I see it. If one writes great music, and can generate a huge fan base, then age is of no concern. I believe that what musicians miss is that this is a business. If you can make the club, record company etc. money and lots of it, that is all they care about.

One of the things I like about being older is that I understand the game. When your young you put a band together and wonder why the record companies aren't kicking your door down to sign you. Please, what a dream. As stated it's all business. The bottom line is this. If you can consistently fill say 5000+ seat venues, your going to get signed, it's that simple because your valuable, and that takes talent. If not, forget about a record contract and IMO forget about a serious music career except maybe as a studio player. And the list there is a mile long. That is the harsh reality of it.n That is why most people end up in cover bands. They know they can at least get out and play and maybe make enough to cover beer money unless again they are really good.

As far as age again, fill the seats and it becomes a moot point.

This is my opinion on the matter.

#10091 by johnnya
Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 pm
there was a story about a salesman who got discovered at a older age but could sing opera, his life changed, sometimes the right place and the right time comes to those who keep pursuing that dream, something comes to everybody. Not allways as expected in most cases but you keep going.

#10156 by Tessa
Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm
Hi Tracy! Hi Everybody! I agree with Irminsul, that at this point in time, who the hell needs to get signed. I waited for this all my life! We can finally tell the record companies to kiss off! You can do it all on your own and I'm so sick and tired of this age issue. If you know you have something to "say and play" as I put it, then just go for it. Not everyone is going to like what you do but there's an audience for everyone. Believe in yourself. The internet has changed everything. You know what my biggest problem is? Myself. At least I know it! I let too many other things get in my way. So, get a game plan and go for it, and I will try and do the same! LOL! You don't need to get signed, Trace, you need to get going, and so do I! PEACE!

#10227 by musicmanr
Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:03 am
Stop worrying about which major label will take you on of what you have to offer. Better to learn more than not. Take yourselve to Taxi.com and read more about what it takes to get a record deal. When you are ready, taxi.com will help you sell your CD. Alot of you think after a certain age, your not allow to cut an album. Well your wrong if you think that way. Your only do it to yourselves. You assume you can't do it. Go to the library or some book store that sells The Music Business book and purchase it. It will teach you what you need to make it as a musician. The crew of people you need to make it. I can go on and on about this but your best bet is to learn on your own. taxi.com & purchase book. :)