This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#99610 by fisherman bob
Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm
I enjoy some country music. We even have a few country tunes in our repertoire and I;va also got a few originals that are country flavored. I run into the same problem as you Michelle Ross, but it's getting rock guitarists to sound like blues guitarists. I heard a saying once, "You can take the boy out of rock but you can't take rock out of the boy." Maybe it's true...
#99615 by Kramerguy
Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 pm
MichelleRoss wrote:Well heres a funny thing that boggles me. In my ventures of playing live and working wih musicians, I have found that Many people underestimate Country music. I have had many guitar players, dang good ones audition for me, who Have played rock and such during their careers, yet, when they try to play my music, its like uh oh. They cant wrap their brain around a clean guitar, no distortion here, and have had them get so frustrated (me too) Its like thanks but.... I just think musically, Country is underestimated and becomes a challenge for even the greatest players. Its a world in its own. crazy thing.

Like many others here I agree that too many players get caught up in only one style, but you are wrong in thinking that it's THAT common.

I was also lucky enough to get involved in a project that I play originals, about 85-90% clean tones, and I have a set up that just shimmers with cleans :) It frankly opened a LOT of doors to new ideas, approaches, and techniques that I never knew when I was strictly a hard rock / heavy metal player.
#100260 by barbi3
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 pm
MichelleRoss wrote:Well heres a funny thing that boggles me. In my ventures of playing live and working wih musicians, I have found that Many people underestimate Country music. I have had many guitar players, dang good ones audition for me, who Have played rock and such during their careers, yet, when they try to play my music, its like uh oh. They cant wrap their brain around a clean guitar, no distortion here, and have had them get so frustrated (me too) Its like thanks but.... I just think musically, Country is underestimated and becomes a challenge for even the greatest players. Its a world in its own. crazy thing.
:P What I don't get is that if they are a gun for hire and want to get payed they should already know what they are willing to do and just play it for the pay check instead of wasting their and my time.Pro is pro and you're in or out.You should know your objective before you audition.I had a "picker" say he didn't think it was appropiate for a woman to sing ZZTopp,again if you are a gun for hire you should know that your opinoin is not warranted.Play get payed.Most of the time it is the inexperienced pro that makes these judgements.Believe me darlin' I've been at this along time,if you stay true to your objective you will find what you're looking for.It can be very time consuming and frustrating but that's just part of the dues process and we all must pay them.Check my site there is a song about it!!! LOL

#100264 by jw123
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm
Country is tough to play for me cause I love distortion and just rocking out. If you play it you have to play cleanly and that is tough for some of us. I have sat in with some country bands and I think if I took a few monthes I could master it.

If you think countrys tough try some bluegrass. I saw Ricky Skaggs a few years ago and man that guy can blaze.

#100266 by Prevost82
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm
What I don't get is that if they are a gun for hire and want to get payed they should already know what they are willing to do and just play it for the pay check instead of wasting their and my time.Pro is pro and you're in or out.You should know your objective before you audition.I had a "picker" say he didn't think it was appropiate for a woman to sing ZZTopp,again if you are a gun for hire you should know that your opinoin is not warranted.Play get payed.Most of the time it is the inexperienced pro that makes these judgements.

+100000
This is all to true for players that think they're Pro's, but are not. Real Pro's do what they're told to, and in the way they're told to (style), add tastey licks in, that add to the music ... keep your head down and your mouth shut. Have good stage presents but don't out shine the artist.
#100270 by Slacker G
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm
barbi3 wrote:
:P What I don't get is that if they are a gun for hire and want to get payed they should already know what they are willing to do and just play it for the pay check instead of wasting their and my time.Pro is pro and you're in or out.You should know your objective before you audition.I had a "picker" say he didn't think it was appropiate for a woman to sing ZZTopp,again if you are a gun for hire you should know that your opinoin is not warranted.Play get payed.Most of the time it is the inexperienced pro that makes these judgements.Believe me darlin' I've been at this along time,if you stay true to your objective you will find what you're looking for.It can be very time consuming and frustrating but that's just part of the dues process and we all must pay them.Check my site there is a song about it!!! LOL

Yeah all that. Don't ever let any one suggest they may have a better idea on a song. It might accidentally get you on the charts and out of the club circuit.

Especially avoid suggestions from seasoned studio musicians. They're full of bad ideas, after all that is what got them there, in most cases. Those are the kind of guys yearning to play dives but have simply lost their way. So sad.

Personally, I love working with close minded musicians. Especially singers who do not play an instrument.

Not referring to you since I have no idea if you play an instrument or not. :lol:

#100734 by Starfish Scott
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:02 pm
And some of us just fing hate the twang and the whole genre as it sounds like it originated in a stable, a very smelly dirty stable.

#101066 by MichelleRoss
Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:And some of us just fing hate the twang and the whole genre as it sounds like it originated in a stable, a very smelly dirty stable.

WOW dont hold back. tell us how you really feel. yikes! :shock: