This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#66236 by bigmacbassman
Tue May 05, 2009 3:47 am
My band recently won a battle of the bands competition (Black Sabbath / Ozzy tribute) and won an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom (orange and black buzzsaw) signed by the man himself. To bad he was too drunk for photos. Anyway, we don't know what to do with the guitar. There are 4 members in our band and we all want it. Do we draw names out of a hat? Do we sell it on eBay and split the profits? Do I just kick everybody's ass and take it? (I could do that , no problem!!) My guitarist wants it bad and said he would just buy everybody else out. We figured it's worth about $1000 bucks with the case, that's not including Zakk's dated signature. Any suggestions out there? Help before I have to beat up three of my good friends!! :twisted:

BigMac

#66240 by ratsass
Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 am
Give it to me and you won't be fighting over it. Problem solved! :)

#66256 by Shredd6
Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 am
Let the guitar player buy you out. If you guys are really tight, then you should know it would mean more to him than anyone else in the band. Plus it will inspire him to be 10x the guitarist you ever thought he'd be.

Put it to him like this.. We'll let you buy us out, but you better punish that thing!! No hanging it on your wall bulls**t!!

I'm going to be REALLY honest with you here man. Signed guitars by ZW aren't worth as much as you think just because they're signed. He's signed a TON of them. So your guitar player would be better to just PUNISSSHHHHH IT!!! PUNISH THAT THING LIKE IT'S THE LAST GUITAR YOU'LL EVER OWN!!

#66274 by jw123
Tue May 05, 2009 12:44 pm
You could always cut it in 4 pieces.

Im with Shredd I dont think his signature is going to make it worth anymore than the guitar is worth.

If you want to cash out, put it on ebay.

A decent Epi LP is $300-600 in my book. You could bid it on ebay and then let your guitarist buy you out based on that value. Or just let him play the guitar at your gigs.

#66284 by ColorsFade
Tue May 05, 2009 3:25 pm
As a guitar player, I'd want it. And even though I'm not a Les Paul guy, I'd actually play it. So I say if your guitar player wants to buy you guys out, then let him. And don't rob him; just what's fair. You shouldn't be trying to fleece your own guitar player.

#66317 by Shredd6
Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 pm
I'll have to go check you guys out sometime.

#66340 by bigmacbassman
Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 pm
I talked to my singer today and he suggested we draw names out of a hat. The winner has to pay the others $200 bucks. We value the guitar at $800. AMS has the bullseye in their catalog at $850 with the case. The signature may not increase the value of the guitar, but it's valuable to us. It's basically a trophy of acomplishment for kicking the ass of 6 other bands. I know my drummer would just sell it for what he could get for it. The rest of us would keep it and add it to our collections. Decisions, Decisions. You can view the guitar at burnunitband.com. Just click on the SHOWS tab to get the story and pics. :shock: [/img]

#66341 by Sir Jamsalot
Tue May 05, 2009 11:32 pm
You could also pull a jimi hendrix move during a live show- videotape the burning, sell the video tape and put the ashes in an urn for keepsake. :lol:

haha: "video tape". My age is on display.

#66440 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 pm
I have a few signed guitars.. YAWN. That crap is boring.

If ya think it's worth 1k$, let him give you the $ and let the poor slob have that guitar.

signature my ass..

If we got someone to sign CHERs' ass, does that make it go up in value?
Nah, it's still old, skanky and smells slightly of Sonny Bono.. LOL

#66449 by ratsass
Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:If we got someone to sign CHERs' ass, does that make it go up in value?
Nah, it's still old, skanky and smells slightly of Sonny Bono.. LOL

...and Greg Alman. 8) :lol:

#66459 by Kramerguy
Wed May 06, 2009 2:50 pm
bigmacbassman wrote:Capt,
You're missing the point.............................

I'm not so sure he is-

If it were a signed bass by steve harris, would you not feel a slight bit more entitled to it than the rest of the band?

Same with drums, or some super duper microphone, etc.. each respective member WILL feel some level of entitlement moreso than the rest of the band.

Like everyone else said, the sig is really worthless, and the guitar itself, other than the sheer personal value (the 'win'), really isn't worth THAT much, especially to anyone else not in the band.

As a guitarist, you are damn right that I would feel some level of additional entitlement over the rest of the band - to the point that if I offered retail, or even a little bit more ($1000 is really way more than it's worth IMO), I would probably be a bit pissed that everyone else wanted it too.

Especially since I would actually PLAY it.

Think about it- is it worth tearing the band to shreds over this? I guarantee that no matter who draws the name from the hat, that someone else in the band will harbor deep resentments over it.

Just do the right thing and let the guitarist buy you guys out, otherwise, I'd question whether you guys even deserved to win.

#67076 by MadmX
Tue May 12, 2009 5:03 am
I'm sure this is done and over with by now, but I'm not sure why "the band" would not just give it to the guitar player and say "good job"... I mean from the outside looking in it's kinda crappy that anything other than that is being concidered.

Unless.... your guitar player already has a better guitar and would not play it anyway... for me, I wouldn't play an Epi, that guitar would be a wall hanging... So... I guess to be fair when you guys win that Wal-Mart 5 piece drum set from the battle of the bands, the vocalist should get that for sure!!!

Boy, that didn't help at all.....

I suck

X!
#67093 by jw123
Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm
bigmacbassman wrote:My band recently won a battle of the bands competition (Black Sabbath / Ozzy tribute) and won an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom (orange and black buzzsaw) signed by the man himself. To bad he was too drunk for photos. Anyway, we don't know what to do with the guitar. There are 4 members in our band and we all want it. Do we draw names out of a hat? Do we sell it on eBay and split the profits? Do I just kick everybody's ass and take it? (I could do that , no problem!!) My guitarist wants it bad and said he would just buy everybody else out. We figured it's worth about $1000 bucks with the case, that's not including Zakk's dated signature. Any suggestions out there? Help before I have to beat up three of my good friends!! :twisted:

BigMac

This is a lot easier than you guys are making it. Bring a saw to the next show and cut the guitar into equal pieces for each member. The buzz you get from an audience for doing this will be far greater than making your guitarist pay a premium for it. That EPI is not worth much as has been said before. My last GIbson Les Paul I bought slightly used for $900 so expecting to get a $1000 out of that guitar is crazy in my mind. My LP retails in GCs for $2100, but I wouldnt expect to get that for it if i sold it.

Just put the thing on Ebay sell it and split the money, as Kramer says someone in your group will feel jilted about this if you dont evenly divide it.

#67094 by jw123
Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm
I forgot to add I have a Gibson that the group Switchfoot signed, when I took it in to get a setup my guy said do you want to take the sigs off. His feeling was that for my guitar the signatures actually took away from the value.