This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#62365 by Chippy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 pm
Ok most of you folks know me perhaps as a Solo Artist/Drummer thing type of person but most of my stuff comes from vocals ironically. I don't have a bad voice at all and that is exactly how I describe it too. I did Karaoke once a few years back on a Neil Diamond number, cannot remember what song now? Perhaps "Living in America" Hahahahaha.
Anywho I got a great response but the fact is I was dragged up there!!!!!

I cannot summon the balls to let my wife hear what I am doing if vocals are on it. It's almost as bad as my fear of heights for hecks sake! Quite obviously I need to change this but I don't truly know how? I guess if you are a singer you are a singer and if you are not you are not, that's why I hide behind Cymbals where life is a little easier. (At least for me).

How do you folks get around Phobias? How do you combat something as large as that? There is nothing and I mean nothing like a Karaoke bar near me even if someone did drag me up. Perhaps (Thinking to self). Posting some stuff here might help that Phobia?

I really hate it. This is one of those hurdles I must encounter and beat. Any ideas folks because it is not as simple as it sounds, at least to me.

Many thanks.

Chippy

#62366 by Shredd6
Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm
You know man, I used to suffer the same thing. And I hate to tell you this, but there really isn't any quick fix kind of way to get over it. I just finally practiced the hell out of my material and basically faced my fear head-on and jumped right in the water sink or swim. It was extremely nerve wracking, almost to the degree where I thought about giving up on singing several times. But I just kept pushing myself to face the fear until it was gone. I still get little bits of the fright every now and then when we're playing in front of bigger crowds. But I can get over it in a matter of seconds now. I just go into a mode of trusting myself and my abilities and it goes away instantly.

#62367 by RaneVox
Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:50 pm
I guess if you are a singer you are a singer and if you are not you are not, that's why I hide behind Cymbals where life is a little easier. (At least for me).

Not so love, I spent the majority of my gigging time hid behind my drums, then one of my guitarists got an idea to get me out of my shell (he loved my voice but I couldn't sing while playing drums). Basically, he chose a few cover tunes we did with good harmonies and dragged me up in the front with him to sing. He sang the lead and had me harmonising. We practised failing before the gigs with that set. Really helped as when we did mangle a song, we played off one another to make it look intentional. Audience loved it :)

I think the only way to get over the fright is to just get on with it, time and time again. You also have a brilliant ally if you enlist your lass. If she goes to your show have her stand up front and look at her when you start your set and anytime you feel intimidated. You can always count on a smile from her, and you'll reflect the smile back at your audience. All good :wink:

#62369 by Kramerguy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 pm
there's always "liquid courage".

cheers

#62372 by ratsass
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:16 pm
Well, they say you're supposed to imagine everyone in the audience naked and that gives you the courage you need. I tried that my first show. I imagined the whole audience naked. Bad thing was, my parents and grandparents were there. I didn't sleep for a week and still have nightmares! :shock: :?

#62375 by Chippy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 pm
WOW!
Thanks very much indeed folks!

I get a lot of what I write from my dreams and I dream totally vivid and in color. (Don't make too much of that ok).

Anywho. Isn't it like jumping from a cliff? I mean........ I've read comments. (Read yours RaneVox) And this sort of made me feel at home but not quite.

(Kramer) Beer will not help and as far as imagining the audience naked? Ner that's who I would/did/Am feel. Shredd I agree and am seeing a lot of people saying the same thing in just a few replies.

Perhaps if I imagine myself coated with Armour? :D Ner that won't work either but you know what folks?

My problems are far less than some people near e today in NYC.

Thanks for replying.
Yours a silent recluse.
:roll:

THANK YOU!
#62381 by JennyKy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm
I am a Psych major in college not a therapist, but one thing I can tell you from the many classes is that therapists use Behavioral Conditioning VERY effectively for phobia elimination.

There is an article about it here:
http://www.phobialist.com/treat.htmlnn.com/

It's a little long, but the basic idea is one that we all pretty much know already. If you force yourself to be exposed to the thing you fear, the fear will eventually grow to be less, then go away. The specific techniques are designed to do this in a safe environment, gradually increasing the exposure to the fear stimulus.

But without resorting to professional therapy you can use many of these ideas to lessen your Phobia. I used them myself to get over my fear of heights, by imagining myself standing by a bridge, then by actually going to a bridge, getting a little closer every time to the edge, and finally looking down off the edge. It can take months, even years sometimes to break yourself of a phobia but it can be done.
Last edited by JennyKy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

#62383 by gbheil
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:02 pm
Fear is a Tiger. He will consume you if you let him. OR
You can ride him to Victory.

Note the bold words.
Do you fear victory?

The adrinaline of the fight or flight response is the greatist sourse of strength and concentration available to man.
Recognise it for what it is. Harness it and RIDE THE TIGER

#62384 by jimmydanger
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:09 pm
I'm not advocating drug use but quite a few musicians use beta blockers for stage fright. Alcohol is not advised, it can actually make it worse. Like all fears the best strategy is to face it head on. Attend some open mics in another town where no one knows you. Even if you fail eventually you will overcome it. Good luck.

#62387 by gbheil
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 pm
A psychotic attitude wont block betas. It kicks their ass!

WOOHOOO YEA BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKIN ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#62388 by Chippy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:26 pm
Got some pretty intelligent people here and thank you again.

Riding the Tiger I loved since I'm a big cat lover, but then I love all things living.

Jenny that was very insightful and probably conclusive when I read it through again. Actually standing on a Sky Scraper and singing are not a good match really. I'd sing my lungs out to be off one of those things and lost a job through that fear too.

I don't know what it is? I'm very good with people and when I talk people listen most times, but music is totally different or is it?

Do Ray me so far lah tee do :shock:

I don't want to harp on this because it becomes boring in the end.

But thank you very much.

Chippy.

#62392 by ZXYZ
Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:33 am
The first time I had to lead sing "Green Grass & High-Tides" by the Outlaws at a gig (probly 75-100 people there) I thought I was going to pass out with fear. I was used to hiding behind my guitar. I faked a super-ego and got through it. I dont know how I sounded (a friend of the band stole my tape of the gig.. arrr) but I did it. And I got some unusual responses afterwards ..sort of friendly.. i dont know.. but at least I made it through. I think I may have done that song a few times after that.. Oh yeah i did.. and one of the girls at a practice session spent the nite with me (I sang it to her) .. ohh.. n/m .. i digress.. well.. anyways.. my .02 cents.. lol .. Good Luck Chippy!! I know You'll do Great!

#62393 by gbheil
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 am
I see Jen is a Psych Major. I am a major Psych! :wink:

While I was in Nursing school, I most always made %100 on Psych exams. And was always the first to finish and leave the room.

It was easy. All I had to do was look for the answer that defered any responsibility away from the patient.

"Cry me a river build a bridge and get over yourself" Was never the correct answer. :lol:

Got to love scantron and multiple guess questions. :lol:

#62399 by philbymon
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:31 am
As has been said - ya just gotta force yourself to do it in spite of yourself.

It isn't easy, but once you're done, there's a HUGE feeling of relief & accomplishment. I've been playing for over 35 yrs in front of ppl, & I still get scared sometimes. I'm almost afraid to lose that little edge now. I think that getting over it, by dealing with the ppl & the whole of the situation, I get stronger just for doing it, if that makes any sense at all. Of course there's always that period afterward when I feel a little down, too, but that comes from exhaustion, cuz I often put too much of myself into it I guess.

All I can tell you is DO IT, & then do it AGAIN & AGAIN. You can get over it, but you hafta make yourself do it.

Best of luck.

#62401 by gbheil
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:35 am
Eric our bassest always tells me that he does not worry about me being nervous. He said he would worry about me if I was not! 8)