This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#61539 by CjaySylraen
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 pm
Hi,

Just looking for some advice from any of you out there who have experience in getting gigs in Chicago specifically or in general if you are not from Chicago. Any words of advice to those of us who are just getting started in this area? I would be open to hearing your good and bad experiences with this.

Thanks!

Cjay

#61579 by Andragon
Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:37 am
CJ, click on Search at the top of this page. And type gigs info or something to that effect. You'll see a buncha threads revolving around your question.
There's a load of info there that I doubt we can repeat here without missing some points.

#61632 by CjaySylraen
Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm
Thanks for the info! I am new to this place so I appreciate your taking the time to give me the heads up.

#61813 by Samo
Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 pm
waz up! hey it doesn't matter if is a positive or negative experience, it's an experience, my band is from Puerto Rico and we been around the states playing great shows and shitty shows!!! but what counts is the experience that you get on those gigs, go on and don't look back, just let it go and believe in what r u doing!!!!
keep rocking!!!!
Samo Jerkz

#61902 by repressthecadence
Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 am
And don't forget that in addition to an experience, it's a learning experience, regardless of the turnout. There's always room for improvement somewhere, be it musicianship, stage presence, or otherwise. And since you're just starting out, and I take it you plan on getting noticed, don't just leave after your set.

Having a merch table's a great way to get to talk to and meet new people, reach out and make friends of your fans, but if you don't, hang around and talk anyway (and to other bands if you don't already know them), because you never know who you might meet. Of course, the best advice I can give is to have fun with it. Your attitude will definitely have an effect on your performance, so make it a positive one! Best of luck to you!

#61918 by RhythmMan
Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 pm
Bring 2 of everything you need only one of.

#62965 by Kramerguy
Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:47 pm
RhythmMan_JazzBluesRockFo wrote:Bring 2 of everything you need only one of.

Especially backup players :P

#62975 by RhythmMan
Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm
If a guitar disappears - you want to be able to go to the trunk and get the spare.
If you find 2 bad cables - you want spares - and in the right lengths.
And - yep - if someone doesn't show up - you want to be able to perform anyway, without them.
If you'll be performing for 2 hours - make sure that you have 3 hours of material to chose from . . .
Bring more than you need; it could save your butt.