This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#45097 by MattFSax
Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:39 pm
My First EVER live show is sat night! possibly. lol, it's a long story, but basically I have the choice wether or not to go and solo over a couple songs for a band. Problem is ive never played nor heard them play before. Advice? should I do it?

#45099 by The KIDD
Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:15 pm
Hey Matt,

Just listenin to your demoes, Id say YEAH, go for it.I played with a sax for 3 yrs straight and really miss that live breath WAV . :lol:.Is this gonna be a jazz/fusion improv gig OR rock/alt. , punk, grunge,other?

John

#45128 by MattFSax
Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:11 am
thats the thing, I have no idea. All I know is that I'm for sure gonna be soloing to jump jive an wail by the setzer orchestra. Maybe buble? I have no idea. My preference is jazz.
#45131 by Black57
Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:41 am
Matt F mellow.23@gmail wrote:My First EVER live show is sat night! possibly. lol, it's a long story, but basically I have the choice wether or not to go and solo over a couple songs for a band. Problem is ive never played nor heard them play before. Advice? should I do it?

Do it. This is where you will develop mighty chops and ( should I say it? ) balls. :oops: Don't worry about your preferance. Go and have a good time. Soon, when any band sees you they will say " Hey, there's Matt, let's see if he brought his ax." You'll start getting free beer and you might even be awarded with some equipment. I have been playing regularly with 2 rock bands and a jazz combo. I even got a paying gig from a restaurant owner who heard me jamming with the jazz combo ( house band ). 8) But you gotta get out of your comfort zone.

#45133 by Shapeshifter
Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:51 am
I say do it. Good or bad, experience has no substitute.

#45139 by Craig Maxim
Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:05 am
Sounds like fun.

Have a blast and break a leg!

#45146 by Shredd6
Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:17 am
Yea, go for it.. 2-weeks after joining HaleAmanO, I played about 12 Island Reggae songs in front of maybe 400-500 Hawaiians..

Only actually knew 4 songs really good. The rest they would just say "lead". So I improvised fills and leads.. Worked great.

I just thought "what's the worst that can happen? Nobody can actually kick you off the stage once you're on... Unless you pull your penis out."

#45165 by philbymon
Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:16 pm
Stand or fall, the experience will be good for you. I've done both, believe me. When it's good it's great, & when it's not so good you always learn something from it.

If your chops suck, then don't do it. Do your chops suck? I don't think so, but that final analysis is up to you in the end.

I've had ppl suddenly yell at me to "take it" when I've told them I am not a lead player. So I take it. Most of the time I can pull off an acceptable thing or two, but there have been times that I just lost it on an unfamiliar tune, & floobered the thing up pretty badly, & you know what? I'm still here. I'm still performing. I'm still considered a very good act by most ppl.

I still get scared sometimes, I get that queasy feeling, I get stage fright at the weirdest times, but I go out there & overcome it, & I think that makes me a better man for it.
#45236 by MattFSax
Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 am
[/quote] Do it. This is where you will develop mighty chops and ( should I say it? ) balls. :oops: Don't worry about your preferance. Go and have a good time. Soon, when any band sees you they will say " Hey, there's Matt, let's see if he brought his ax." You'll start getting free beer and you might even be awarded with some equipment. I have been playing regularly with 2 rock bands and a jazz combo. I even got a paying gig from a restaurant owner who heard me jamming with the jazz combo ( house band ). 8) But you gotta get out of your comfort zone. [/quote]

Lol, well if you were tryin to see if I brought my ax you would be lookin real hard lmao. I'm a sax player and although I would love a free beer I'm underage. Thats the only thing I think is holding me back. I can hardly get into most of the places I would love to play.

philby-
from what ive read on the forum your a pretty respectable and well thought out user. Have you heard my demo's on my site? I dont really know if that's considered good or not, I'm not around many great sax players at the moment.

#45237 by neanderpaul
Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:39 am
Shredd6 wrote: Nobody can actually kick you off the stage once you're on... Unless you pull your penis out."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#45238 by fisherman bob
Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:54 am
I assume you don't have to haul and set up any heavy PA equipment? Just have to bring your sax and play? No sweat just go and do it. Sometimes I wish I was a flute player. It's a pain in the arse hauling PA equipment and my heavy amp and bass. Playing bass and singing lead and hauling heavy stuff, wish I was a sax player. Go and have fun man.

#45252 by philbymon
Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:43 pm
I've heard ya. No, you ain't no superstar. Neither am I, Matt. But your chops are quite good enough to get on a stage with me in just about any setting, & I'd be proud to give you the chance.

#45261 by Around the Corner
Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:59 pm
I'dsay go for it. No better way to gain experience and confidence.

#45267 by MattFSax
Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:46 pm
thanks for all the advice. I guess the unanimous decision is to go for it. So go for it I will. I'll let you all know how it went when I get back. Thanks again