This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#40196 by BRD
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 am
I'm thinking abuot upgrading to the Spider Valve from the HD 100. Any one have any Experience with this head??

#40221 by gbheil
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:01 pm
I do not own / have not used that particular model.
A lot of people like the Line6 equipment. It is sturdy and well made I just did not like the tone I got out of the ones I,ve used. There are several others on the Bandmix whom utilize Line6 equipment with excellent results. Most will tell you its all in how well you set up the sound on the presets. Go to the local music shop and play one, then decide.

#40482 by Fitna
Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:10 am
I've also been thinking about switching over the Spidervalve HD100. I have a Line 6 Flextone HDII head now, but I'm reluctant. I've played the Spidervalve in the store and it sounds SO GOOD. I think the only reason I'm reluctant is because when I first bought my Flextone HDII, I had to return it 3 times because the heads kept burning out after a couple of minutes of using it. I've heard of some people claiming the Spidervalve just won't work after a while. They'll be playing and it will just shut down and turn on when it wants to.

Thats exactly what those first three Flextone heads I went though were doing, too. I finally got one and it has been perfect for years, though. Line 6 has great customer support. They're really really helpful.

The Spidervalve HD100 sounds like a beast in the store though! It looks really cool, too. I'm so tempted!

#40485 by gbheil
Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:25 am
I am surprised you had problems with a Line6 amp in that fashion. I and others I know have abused them without mercy. They just kept on playing.

#40588 by Fitna
Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 pm
Yeah..The first one I bought just would'nt power up when I got home with it. I went to the store and returned and got another one. That one would work for a little while, then stop working. I returned and had the same problem with the next one. Finally I called Line 6 and they shipped a new one out to me directly. I've never had any problems with this one.

I'm going to the store now to go play that Spidervalve HD 100 and try to convince my wife I need more guitar equipment!

#40606 by gbheil
Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:36 am
Tis easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
Let me know how the Spidervalve works out for you.
#41212 by L e m
Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:50 pm
BRD wrote:I'm thinking abuot upgrading to the Spider Valve from the HD 100. Any one have any Experience with this head??

I have one.
Its for sale, too :lol:

It has an almost infinite amount of sounds you can get and
is very well made, sounds good to me the very short amount of
time I used it. For me, it was a bad choice. I went into Guitar
Center to buy a one-dimensional Peavy tube amp and the ever
helpful salesman did his job and talked me into something else.
Its too complicated for me to try to figure out and Im moving so
Id rather just sell it to someone who will appreciate all it will do.

#42964 by Wired Shut
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:57 pm
Hi all.

I own a Flextone III XL and it hasnt hiccuped in 3 years of gigging and anthems at ballparks - unreal amp. Had a Spider 1 before that. Same quality/relaibility.

Just yesterday I walked into Best Buy and they had a SV head on top of a full stack. I really couldnt get sounds I liked, but it was rip your face off loud. I think I may have gotten it to 3 or 3.5. Tubes add great punch to the effects processing that L6 does so well.

I wasnt really happy with the Spider style effects. I dont need much, but it needs to be a bit more Flexable (heh). A Flex Valve would have my money in a 3 short seconds.

~c

#43205 by Kramerguy
Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:10 pm
I tried every amp made in the <$500 category. The first one I bought was a line 6 combo. I thought I could do better and must have gone through 6-7 amps at home, and dozens of others at the store.

Ended up buying back the same Line6 combo I started with, and I don't even use ANY of the onboard effects, distortions, or even reverb; I use a modeling pedal for all that, but why I stick with Line 6 -

It's got fantastic tone, lots of low and high end, a volume knob that I can't get past 12 o'clock without shielding my ears, and I kicked the sh*t out of both of the ones I owned and neither ever hinted at failure.

My only complaint is that the knobs are touch sensitive and sometimes we played so loud that it would trigger the knobs and if the levels were not at the same positions as the clean channel preset (for instance, if the chorus knob was on, but the preset over-rode it), when it triggered, the sound would reflect heavy chours, or delay.. etc... I'd be all like WTF? lol. I learned to set the knobs before playing it. Problem solved.

#43765 by Chris2203
Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 am
I have a SpiderValve 2x12. I traded my Spider III 2x10 in towards it. The same patches on the Spider III really come to life on the SpiderValve!
I've been using Line 6 for a long time now along side my tube amps and have been very pleased. The SpiderValve continued to prove that to me.
I do know from a Line 6 dealer that the SpiderValve heads had some initial problems, but I believe that has been resolved. Your milage may vary. If you can see more than one in the box, get the one with the most current ship date. I really don't think you'll have a problem if the store you shop at moves high volume of product. As always, check the Line 6 forums and - caveat emptor!

#47864 by mrg2u
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:14 pm
:) I have had a Bogner line six head for about six months and I love it. Still havent figured out everything it can do. The possibilities seem to be endless and the thing is wicked loud when you want it to be. I have had no problems w/ this amp since day one and I ply at least 10 - 12 hours a week not including gigs. tons of fun. I like it a lot better than the Marshall JV I had and I got rid of all the pedals except for the whah.

#48932 by jw123
Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:57 pm
A friend of mines kid has one of those little combo Line 6 amps and for the money it is one cool rig.

I have a POD PRO with full floorboard that I use for mobility purposes. This past week our bass player and I were practicing and he pulled up some recordings I did with the POD PRO and they sound as good to me as the amp sounds we get.

I think on the economical side that LINE 6 makes some great products.

Another amp you might look at is that New Viper amp that Peavey has released. I played on one in the store and it sounds great.

Im back using a Mesa Subway Rocket, 2 channels 20 watts EL 84 tubes with a pedal board full of effects. It does the trick for me.

#49400 by oldmetalguy
Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 pm
Line6 makes GREAT effects... Especially their delay pedals... But to be honest, I haven't heard much about Line6 heads.

If it is a tube head, you really can't go wrong. Just make sure you get good speakers, and make sure you are playing through quality pickups...

I figure if they build their heads like they do their pedals, you should be in good shape!
#100833 by Brian Helsing
Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:29 pm
I had a Line 6 Flextone HD, one of the first ones, back in 2000. Since then I've owned a Marshal DSL 50, Vintage Fender Super Reverb, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Roland JC 60, Peavey Classic 30. I've played on Soldanos, Riveras, Twins, you name it. Bottom line: I'm in the market for an amp again and it'll darn well be a Flextone or a Duoverb. I miss that amp like my own child. Hope this helps.

#100852 by eseime
Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 am
I have the HD100 and I love it. It offers me a lot of flexibility as far as tones. I write a lot music which is not limited to one genre and the thing keeps up. I also use it to play out. The thing is loud. I always get compliments on how the guitars sound at our shows. Make sure you invest in an FBV shortboard to go along with it. A must, especially if you're using it to play out.

If you want to hear what it sounds like recorded, check out the tunes on my page. Hope that helps.