This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#34905 by SOUNDSTORM
Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:27 pm
They come here advertising that they're looking to join a band , you make contact , then ....................NOTHING ! Not even the courtesy to say that its not their genre when you send them files , links , info etc
We don't know about the US but its definitely the case in the UK.

THEN...... they continue to advertise their services etc and waste other people's time .

Get off your ego horse and communicate with people cos lets face it , if you cant communicate by e-mail , phone with fellow musicians then you're obviously a screw up when it comes to working with other musicians and live audiences and no-one will want you.

*Sigh* We feel better now :-)

Have a nice day !

#34906 by RhythmMan
Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:42 pm
Join the club.
And, quite often when they DO contact you, all they want to do is TALK about music . . .
They'll be your best buddy and talk about it forever, until you ask them to put it on the line . . . "C'mon over & play . . ."
Then the excuses flow like water . . .
I think a lot of the people on this site are fans; to them, this is kind of like a backstage pass . . .
Don't get me wrong . . . I don't mind fans, I've met some pretty nice people . . .
But the more time I spend talking about music, the less time I spend playing and composing music.
Now when I contact people, I expect absolutely nothing to come of it. Maybe someone will pleasantly surprise me . . .
I give responders every chance, but I won't let them steal my time.
Lower your expectations when you contact people, and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck

#34908 by Andragon
Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 pm
Why you just talking bout vocalists?
Hell, guitarists are the worst. They think they're Hitler on an axe.
I never got msgs on here, but the ones I got outside, I replied to and/or met them.

#34909 by gbheil
Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:47 pm
Just remember your dealing with the human race.
Expect them to be sorry, useless, and have zero integrity. I am on call this weekend and Nurses are no different than musicians or mechanics.
The phone rings every hour or so with the lamest excuses. Some have pride and integrity, most dont. Find the good ones.
Easier said than done, yes. Dont waste your time with the average.

#34936 by RhythmMan
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:10 pm
Yeah, I was talking about people I've dealt with:
-singers
-drummers
-guitarists
-bass men
-other percussionists
Now, don't get me wrong. A lot of these people are really nice people.
It's just that most people won't throw themselves into music.
You know the type. The dabblers, the week-end warriors, the armchair generals.
All show, and no go.
They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk . . .
The "masters of the alibi."
And, yeah, they ARE a Pain in the . . .
They're not necessarily bad people - they're just looking for recognition, and so they try to impress people with their knowlege.
But I'd rather that they impress me with their skills . . . if they have any.
When they are exposed - they try to save face by making excuses, or they avoid you all together, to avoid the embarassment of being exposed . . .
Everyone has different strengths and weakness's . . .

So if they're not skilled enough in music - I don't hold it against them.
It's no bigee . . . but . . .
Hey, I'm ok at volley ball, but I don't aspire to be an expert at it. But, on the other hand, I don't pretend to be in their league, either.
So, what I hold against these slackers is their trying to deceive me, and the time I've wasted on them, figuring out their limits . . ..
Now when I contact someone - I put them out of my mind entirely.
While they're making excuses - I'm playing.
And - if they Really want it enough, one phone call is all it takes.

#34938 by Andragon
Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm
True. That has nothing to do with what I said though. No need to single out vocalists, when various musicians chicken out.

#35001 by RhythmMan
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:46 pm
Yeah, I was talking about people I've dealt with:
-singers
-drummers
-guitarists
-bass men
-other percussionists

#35011 by gbheil
Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:42 pm
Dont take it personal Andrew. You know that we know the instrument or "position" in the band is irrelivent to the base conversation.

Now off to the studio for some Les Paul practice. See ya'll next week!

#35016 by SOUNDSTORM
Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 pm
Wow , we are not alone ! :-)
A lot of good advice here , all taken on board.
Noticed that not 1 UK poster has bothered, too busy singing in the mirror at home :-)
Yeah , you're right about it being all musicians but right now our gripe is singers Grrrrrrrrrrrr !

Anyway guys , thnx the input , all much appreciated

Have a great weekend/week ahead

#35018 by Andragon
Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 pm
Right.. it's just that a lot of musicians that don't sing always looked down upon vocalists.
That pisses me off. If you can't do what I can do, then you have no right to say I'm less important/talented.
Generally speaking here ofcourse.
Anyways, hope you find your vocalist.

#35050 by gtZip
Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:49 am
Andragon wrote:Right.. it's just that a lot of musicians that don't sing always looked down upon vocalists.
That pisses me off. If you can't do what I can do, then you have no right to say I'm less important/talented.
Generally speaking here ofcourse.
Anyways, hope you find your vocalist.

Really? Look down upon vocalists?
It's been my experience that they have all the power. They get tons of wiggle room around here. If a band finds a good one and that vocalist insists on throwing on a bath robe pre-gig, and walking an invisible dog, then so be it. Cuz... no good vocalist, no good band.

#35051 by Andragon
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 am
Different worlds, GT, different worlds. 8)
Wanna swap places? :lol:

#35067 by Crip2Nite
Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:55 am
..... and I'd like to add that I can't stand those idiots who are always talking about big boobs! :x

#35090 by RhythmMan
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:56 pm
you idiot
:)

#35095 by Kramerguy
Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:13 pm
Andragon wrote:Why you just talking bout vocalists?
Hell, guitarists are the worst. They think they're Hitler on an axe.
I never got msgs on here, but the ones I got outside, I replied to and/or met them.

Actually, I'd say they are equal. I've been actively looking for a vocalist the last few months, and most of my recent frustrations are with singers...

MOST of them talk a big game on the phone, but then never come out. Those who do come out... well, they seem to get all wishy-washy, the excuse I've heard the most (from the ones who show up), is "well... I'm kinda involved in another project... not sure if I have the time to play in another band...." and "(even though my profile suggests I like exactly the same music you play) I'm not really into this type of music..."

What?!? :shock:

With guitarists, the main problem I've seen over the years (both bass and electric guitarists), is that they talk one hell of a game like "oh yeah, I can play zach wilde, EVH...satraini..." and then never show up. Some do show up and can't even play sh*t and then are like "dude.. we rock together...!"
WTF? No, WE rock, you SUCK.

heh, just having some fun with the topic.

Off to find a singer!
:lol: