This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#1202 by Bluesguitargrl
Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:43 am
I finally got Waging a War online... :D it's a song I wrote when the war was starting... :evil: listen to the words... they are very important... this is a live recording with the band I had going for a while last year....
there's also a couple of other songs there...

the song is on this site...
http://www.singin.com/view_profile.php?user=156

Tell me what you think....

PS Vote for me!!!!! (not to run the country- duhhh)
#1257 by Simple Tools
Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:25 pm
Way to get that protest out there, Jamaica! Had a listen to Waging a War - like the lyrics and the point about everything having to be a war on something. Hey, if you want to hear something else that takes a pointed shot at the administration, you might get a kick out of Patriot Act, one I put up at Songramp:

http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=35968

Peace!

Rick
Simple Tools

#1912 by Bluesguitargrl
Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:40 pm
I listened to your song, great lyrics, I would have listened sooner, but I didn't check the forum for a while. Thanks for listenting... I have a page now on myspace, and you can keep 4 songs on it....

www.myspace.com/jamulation

I also loaded some new music on my profile... I think there might be a song on my profile that is also on the other page... anyway... when I get some new recording I'll be putting up some new stuff.

Jamaica
#1928 by Irminsul
Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:49 am
Oh yes, that's what I'm talkin' bout. And I'm happy to see this as there has been a definite dearth of GOOD protest music during the last 6 years of our discontent. Keep it up! We can't have too many.

I try to keep politics out of my music but I'll say it as long as someone started a thread on it - I won't be happy until Bush is out of power, or doing hard time (preferrably the latter).

NEVER AGAIN

#1931 by Placebo Effects
Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:22 am
I took a listen to the sound byte... good stuff man!

#2080 by Bluesguitargrl
Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:24 pm
looks like that site is gone... I wonder what the hell happened to it? anyway if you want to listen to my music where you can hear the entire song... go to

www.myspace.com/jamulation

there are 4 songs on there, but I tend to change them from time to time... and since I'm going into the studio this week, there will be some new stuff soon (how soon depends on how the recording process goes and all that jazz)

#2181 by Simple Tools
Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:45 pm
Yeah, the websites sure do come and go. Okay, here are a few of my anti-war contributions again, with verified active links to the songs for free streaming and downloads:

Patriot Act - Grungy protest rock with a blunt message for pretend world leaders (Unisong 2005 contest finalist):
http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=25155

Blowback - Rock and roll wake up call to the medicated masses:
http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=25213

Prisoners of War - Hard rock inquiry into the karmic connection between attachment and armed conflict:
http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=25212

Yeah, the political stuff has a limited audience, but I just can't help myself!

#2187 by Irminsul
Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:38 pm
Rick Gehrke wrote:Yeah, the political stuff has a limited audience, but I just can't help myself!

Not if you write something anthematic. That's one thing I've noticed really lacking in the anti-war music department as of late - coming up with a tune that a huge crowd of people can spontaneously start belting out. Simple yet catchy and stirring melody/lyric. Not to be too 60s specific, but they nailed this is songs like "Give Peace a Chance" and a few others ("Blowing in the wind", etc).

I look forward to all this great music energy going into the anti-war movement, morphing truly into "music for the masses".

#2190 by Simple Tools
Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:23 pm
Not if you write something anthematic. That's one thing I've noticed really lacking in the anti-war music department as of late - coming up with a tune that a huge crowd of people can spontaneously start belting out. Simple yet catchy and stirring melody/lyric.

Good point! It's also a challenge to deliver an upbeat, positive message on such contentious subjects as politics and war, yet say something that's really on-point and unambiguous. We tried this approach in our song "Bridges", inspired by the 2004 presidential elections.

http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=25273 with these lyrics:

Hey my fellow Americans, did you get out and vote with your hearts?
Are you happy to say that it all went your way,
or cryin' cause you see the world fallin' apart?

My friends and countrymen, do you look at the news and see a future that's bright,
or are you secretly hoping for this year's winners to fail,
and prove you were right?

Well people, I think it's time to peel off the stickers and pull up the signs.
Tear down all of those crazy blue and red banners.
Now wipe of the smirks, and stop all that whinin'.
Show your smiling faces to the sun that's shining.
Calm down, lighten up, look ahead, and get back our manners,
and build bridges, not barricades.

Hey my angry brothers and sisters, walkin' around growlin' under your breath,
Shootin' dirty looks at the strangers you see,
and blaming each other for the suffering and death.

Do you want to hide your mind in the dirt, or fly high away from it all?
Join the anti-elite on some anti-crusade,
maybe in Amsterdam or Montreal?

A wise man I once called a fool said hey, if there's something here worth saving,
then you damned well better stay.
Stand and fight for what you love, for those who can't or won't.

And from the eye of the storm I hear my best friend say
the things you despise can never go away, so she says
keep your mind on what you want, instead of what you don't,
and build bridges, not barricades.

Now lighten up your minds, it's always worth tryin'.
Show your smiling faces to the sun that's shinin'.
Fight for what you love, not against what you fear.
And don't you turn away now, 'cause we need you here
to build bridges, not barricades.

I hadn't thought about the anthem approach on any of these songs, though, and appreciate the suggestion. Might have to dust this one off for an alternative take in 2008.

Peace!

#2752 by robmojo1
Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:23 am
hey girl good blues

#2753 by robmojo1
Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:32 am
sounds good

check out junior thomas .com i played bass on the cd if you like blues

#2754 by Irminsul
Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:41 am
I listened to a total of 3 minutes of President War's speech today, in commemoration of the 9/11 attacks. It's all I could take. I simply cannot believe this deluded moron is sitting in the top executive office of my nation.

I'm going to go get drunk, and then throw up.

#2757 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:00 am
I saw a movie tonight that indicates our own government blew up the Twin Towers, the way they came down like a planned demolition. A plane would leave a hole but not make everything come down so uniformly, was the main premise of the documentary. What do you think?

#2770 by Irminsul
Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:06 pm
Yeah that's a very hot topic. I am not one prone to conspiracies myself, but after viewing some footage of what definitely appeared to be four small explosions on each corner of one of the buildings...waaaaaaay below the burning part, by the way.....I had to reassess in my mind what I thought was possible in this horrendous event.

For the record, if it were true, it wouldn't be inconcievable. Back in the VietNam war, I believe it was in the Johnson era, The Joint Chiefs of Staff floated a plan called Operation Northwoods to the prez. It basically was a scheme to CREATE some terror attacks here on our own soil, fabricate evidence that it was Vietnamese terrorists, and shore up flagging public support for the war.

So, never say never!

#2775 by chachaangelina
Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:36 pm
Yes, that was part of the documentary last night.
And did you hear the evidence that we may never have really gone to the moon? NASA recently announced that the original footage of the moon landing has been "lost." Hmmmmmmm.