This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#27745 by philbymon
Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:49 pm
What gauge strings do you use on 4 & 5 string axes?

Why?

Fave brands?

Do you use different ones for active & regular pickups?

I'm always curious what other ppl are doing.

#27754 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:08 pm
I know nothing about that on bass, man. But I will tell you the guitar string thing is fascinating... I think mine are still .009 gauge through .042. I will probably get the thicker ones soon, I play metal and I hear they are better for it (Especially for those lower tunings).

P.S. I am using Ernie Balls right now. I use to use D'Addario's.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#27775 by JacoiWishiWas
Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17 pm
I play 5's and 6er's, I like DR FatBeams on my Ibanez SR 405QM, D'Addario ProSteels 45-65-80-100-130's on my Fender Jazz V, and D'Addario XL Nickels on my Yamaha TRB 1006 32-45-65-80-100-130's.
I updated my original post! The Yamaha BB615, I couldn't get a good action on, and it buzzed on four frets on the G string, so I brought it back and got a Ibanez SR 405QM. Beautiful bass in looks and sound! Much better than the 615! As far as the Ken Smith Rock Masters, they sounded good, but were way too stiff.
I like the FatBeams much better. They feel like nickels compared to the Rock Masters!
Last edited by JacoiWishiWas on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#27788 by HowlinJ
Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 pm
My wife Cin (Ibenez Musician) and one of my favorite ol' bass players "The Patch" ( Fender Jazz Bass ), both strung their trees up with medium gauge RotoSounds, back in the day. I don't know what my son Ry uses on his fretless Jazz Bass, but he uses something that looks like crane cable on his Kay upright.

You can hear Patch's fingertip grinders at work on my song "Come On To Me" and "Misguided Madness" on my profile.

That's Ry on "Spell on You"

The bass on Caledonia is me and my Yamaha SY55 synth, as are all the other "instruments" on that tune.

Howlin'

#27841 by philbymon
Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:50 am
HJ...nice one on "Come on to Me"...love that walkin' bass line

#27901 by HowlinJ
Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:38 am
Last night at practice, I asked Ry what kind of strings he's playin' these days.
He said he didn't recall the brand, but they are a round-wound with some kind of flat bottom so as not to frig up his unfretted neck! What will they think of next. :shock:
#28841 by alguebass
Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 pm
I strongly recommend medium guage and don't go lighter than medium light.

Typically, 105, 85, 65, 45 are good for 4string bass because they are heavy enough to provide natural bottom without relying on the amp.

When you play your E string on the high frets the notes still come through clearly.

For fretless bass, I use Rotosound flatwounds, medium (you don't want to use rounds because they will eat up your fretboard useless.)

On a bass with frets I use roundwound, Fender mediums or Blue Steel for a brighter sound.

If the nut is cut for a lighter guage strings, have the nut fitted for the medium guage strings.

When you go to the store examine the string guage, 2nd, Heavy guage strings provide a heavier G string or D string. The A strings or E strings are almost the same.

#29759 by unibasser
Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 am
I am a firm believer of using the heaviest strings you can play......on bass or guitar. Its a number one issue of where your tone begins. Of course you dont want to sacrafice playability.It took me years to get to play .011's on six string guitar :roll:
#30195 by JacoiWishiWas
Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 pm
AL_Gue_Bass wrote:I strongly recommend medium guage and don't go lighter than medium light.

Typically, 105, 85, 65, 45 are good for 4string bass because they are heavy enough to provide natural bottom without relying on the amp.

When you play your E string on the high frets the notes still come through clearly.

For fretless bass, I use Rotosound flatwounds, medium (you don't want to use rounds because they will eat up your fretboard useless.)

On a bass with frets I use roundwound, Fender mediums or Blue Steel for a brighter sound.
If the nut is cut for a lighter guage strings, have the nut fitted for the medium guage strings.

When you go to the store examine the string guage, 2nd, Heavy guage strings provide a heavier G string or D string. The A strings or E strings are almost the same.

To a point you're correct. The most popular guages are 45-105's or 45-100's. That doesn't mean they are the do all die all of bass strings.
On basses with real narrow necks like Ibanez and some of the Fender J basses 45-100's are big enough. I string my Ibby 5 with DR FatBeams
40-60-80-100-120's and they work very well. I like to turn my amp up a little louder and play with a softer touch. It keeps your fingers from getting fatigued. Thinner strings also have more definition which makes them better for Jazz. Thicker strings have more power and a lower timbre allowing for more punch. It's really up to the individual and what they feel comfortable with. Advice, don't use Roto Flats on a Jazz bass. They are way to stiff and you will need to give your rod a full turn to compensate for the tension. They put a lot of stress on your neck. If you ever wondered why old Fenders had chunkier necks, especially P-Basses it was because back in the 60's and early 70's flatwounds were the dominant string. When Rotosound rounds hit the states by the mid 70's everyone switched, and then needed fret jobs two years later.
I try to find a perfect medium. DR Fatbeams and Hi-Beams won't eat your frets nor will D'Addario ProSteels. D'Addario XL's nickels are very easy on frets. Stay away from Rotos and Blue Steels, they are cheese graters!

#30210 by philbymon
Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm
Thanks for the responses!

Reason I asked is I was a lil short of change & just bought some bulk generic Martin bass strings to hold me over during practices until I can get some good ones when we're finally ready to perform.

I'm almost embarassed to admit it, too.

#31345 by Sidekick
Tue May 13, 2008 1:50 am
I have used round wound, flat wound andeverything in between. I have been enjoying Labella tapewound strings for the past 10 years and love them.. I like the medium guage. They cost a bit but they don't tear up your fingers and squeak when you slide. Very mellow.

#31429 by Smooth5
Tue May 13, 2008 8:58 pm
Wassup Bassmen and woman!

I personally have experimented with every gauge of string available and thought that because of my aggressive playing style that I should stick with a heavier gauge. Its not always true. I play several different 4 and 5 string basses and although I've found that the cryogenic strings last longer, The boomers regardless of gauge can take a serious thumping. An important fact to remember is that your amplification will compensate for any gauge string you use, and with that in mind it may be wise to try strings that are flat out just comfortable to touch.

#31736 by jw123
Fri May 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Sidekick wrote:I have used round wound, flat wound andeverything in between. I have been enjoying Labella tapewound strings for the past 10 years and love them.. I like the medium guage. They cost a bit but they don't tear up your fingers and squeak when you slide. Very mellow.

Hey Sidekick, I dig the Sunn gear. I knew is I hung around here long enough someone else would show up who uses it. Killer double neck, Ive never seen one of those.

#32110 by Franny
Thu May 22, 2008 3:56 am
I tend to stick with DR strings 45-130 on my 5'rs Long Necks and Bootzillas. (stainless)
I like nickels but my body chemistry just wears them out in a day or 2.

Back in the day i was a GHS Boomer user period.

To be honest; if i could afford it, i'd change my strings everyday just to keep that piano chime in them. :twisted:

#32321 by Stan Pittman
Mon May 26, 2008 5:51 am
I've always used Blue Steel light gauge and always get ausome sounds deep and high and in my experience never have problems with tuning.