This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#26185 by neanderpaul
Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 am
HowlinJ's old tune Come on to me is great! It's the first on his profile. It sounds like it came off of vinyl.... mmmmm...... tasty..... 8). The bassist is freakin' sick! Reminds me of Joe Jackson's bass player. And a great tone on the bass. J's keys are great! Classic authentic solo. The vox are good too. Here it here.
http://bandmix.com/howlinj/

#26188 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 am
Yeah! That's a great song. I think you're right on about it-I feel that the vocals are just a little overwhelming occasionally (in the mix, but I love the energy level). The bass is killer. Paul, I'm glad you brought the song up. I hadn't had a chance to check out Howlin's tunes...and the man has skills!

Keep rockin', Howlin J! :D

#26281 by Greeniemagic
Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:44 pm
Yeah crackin tune..Gotta a bit of a Ska feel to it. I liked it :)

#26284 by neanderpaul
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:16 pm
What year was that recorded HowlinJ?

#26293 by Irish Anthony
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 pm
sweet...hes a dark horse this howlin fella...i loved this tune..sounds a little ska to me too..but it works perfectly...the bass is killer and the keys solo was very tasty...not too fussy or over the top and yet not to plain(a rare talent)...sweet.... nice balance coming into the chours.. very rich and full backdrop and it works well....

great overall feel...and vibe...

solid work howlin... :wink:

#26316 by HowlinJ
Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:02 am
Thanks to all for your kind comments on my quarter century old baby .
I shall now proceed to bore you with all the history that I can remember.

I started playing Farfisa organ and singing in 1966,(give or take). I was 16 years old. My greatest hero (next to the 7 Mercury astronauts) was Alen Price of "The Animals". My first band was an honest to goodness garage band called "The Lost Minds".

Played in many bands, graduated h.s. in 69, became blue collar man, fell in love with Cin. got married, had three sons ,played in bands ,built house for family (cause I couldn't afford to buy one). ....bla...bla..ect.

up until the new wave years, (late 80's) my creative musical Renascence.

I fell in with John Patch, a strange bass player who was influenced by groups like the Stranglers, the Dead Kennedys and most of all Graham Maby, (Joe Jackson's bass-man.)

The Patch and I put together "The Needles", loudest cover band the Poconos had ever known. I have many interesting Needles storeys, but they will have to wait. Needles had a good run.

Around 1980, Patch and I decided to become songwriters and we found an incredible guitarist who called himself Slider. (we called him Benny)
Ben played a S.G. Custom through a 100W Marshall . (that, believe it or not, is what he's playing on "Come on To Me") Ben and I became one instrument on that song. Listen close and you can hear him. I Was still using my old Farfisa Combo Compact direct into the sound system.
K.K. Brown played drums .

A WFMU radio DJ named us "Tentative Relationship" We had four solid sets of originals. We laid down a couple of bucks to record some live tracks in studio at RedRock Recording in Saylorsburg P.A. (they are still in business) We were so seasoned that we ran through the tunes we planned to do all in one take. (no overdubs) no dickin' around. The engineer told us we had tape and time left for another song. That turned out to be "Come on To Me"

Sometime later, Lehigh Valleys big A.O,R. radio station WZZO sponsored a song contest , Ten original regional bands would be showcased on a vinyl compilation album called "Vally Rock". Out of 800 entry's, we got on.

That old record has been lying around until a few weeks ago , when I dug my turntable out of the attic, hooked it into Cin's computer, tweaked Audacity, and..... "She wears a thin shroud of mystery....... "

For the record, that song was already over a year old when we recorded it in 82. T.R. was a song writing machine, and one hell of a live band. I love those guys. We drank to much. Annoyed the neighbors, fought with each other, stressed my family, yet, somehow, we survived.

This is how the tune was conceived.

Patch and Ben were noodlein', I started playing 96 tears, I dropped the key a few steps and chopped the beat ska like , out of nowhere, Patch started playing his demon bass line. Ben just started playin' what I was doing. I started improvising a vocal melody. We always had a little cassette player recording so we caught it on tape. I penned the lyrics later, and we put it together next practice.

wow!, a bit long winded, but thanks fore listening' (Y'All made me feel better :D )
Howlin'

#26317 by HowlinJ
Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:03 am
Hit the button twice! :oops:

#26319 by gbheil
Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:18 am
Hit that damn button again John I think he's tryin to get up! :twisted:
Great story man I love that "how it was made " kinda stuff.

#26321 by Craig Maxim
Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:25 am
HowlinJ wrote:

Patch and Ben were noodlein', I started playing 96 tears, I dropped the key a few steps and chopped the beat ska like , out of nowhere, Patch started playing his demon bass line. Ben just started playin' what I was doing. I started improvising a vocal melody. We always had a little cassette player recording so we caught it on tape. I penned the lyrics later, and we put it together next practice.

That's funny, cause my wife's dad is JUST NOW getting counseling from his Vietnam experiences. He's been staying with us on weekends sometimes, and I was helping him remember some songs he might like, downloaded from the internet.

96 Tears was one I was sure he probably liked, and we were trying to figure out who did it. I googled it as "99 tears" cause I remembered the tune wrong. We finally figured it out and got it for him.

Great story though, thanks for sharing your history with us.

Dead Kennedys...

Wow. I had a casette of theirs I use to wear out. Along with the Smiths "Meat is Murder" LOL and The Meatmen "French People Suck" and lots of other weird stuff. Also some New Order and Echo and The Bunnymen thrown in too.

#26322 by neanderpaul
Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 am
Awesome HowlinJ! I was just waiting for you to respond. It gave me chills to hear about Graham Maby. So is that you on the vox then? Wow! Great story!
thanks for the details! 8)

#26336 by HowlinJ
Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:44 pm
Paul,
Yep, That's my caterwalling.
John

#26414 by neanderpaul
Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:55 am
Nice HowlinJ I AM impressed!

#26417 by HowlinJ
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 am
Thanks Neanderpaul.

By the way, did ya ever get your Wurlitzer fixed :?:

#26457 by neanderpaul
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:15 pm
You know the wurly cuts out less and less the more I play it. It rarely cuts out. I'd still like to fix it, but it cuts out so infrequently that I forget.

#26470 by TJ is rockin
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 pm
WOW a trip back in time there howlinJ!!!
I too layed some "live" tracks at Red Rock Studios!!!!

I have since moved to FL. but have MANY ties up there in the mountains of PA.
I had to go and listen after I read the makin' of the tune!!
That recording was the one from red rock??
sounds sweet!!
well stay warm
~~~~~~~~PEACE~~~~~~~~~TJ