This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Relive your fondest & worst memories "on the road".

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#25836 by fisherman bob
Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 am
Any instrumentalist who doesn't shut up when it's time for the vocals or it's time for another instrumentalist to do their thing.

#25842 by Chris2203
Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:40 pm
Guitar and Drums.
Especially flying in to do a gig where backline and drums are provided. Guitar, you never know what you're gonna be pluging your fx board into, so you have to do quick adjustments on the fly and try to get the best sound you can. In metal, the guitar sound is important or it can make the whole band suck by sounding muddy and like ass. Brutal guitar tone and a savage drum battery is crucial. Bass, not so much an issue (our bass player carries an eq pedal with him and he can get his sound from any amp with that eq)
Drums - another nightmare. Is it a single kick with double pedal, single kick only, double kick, etc....
I really feel for our drummer sometimes...he does get the worst of it on fly-ins. At least I get to play my own guitar that I flew in with, he gets whatever.
LOL!

#25848 by jw123
Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:46 pm
Number one guitar players who just overplay everything or use too many effects. Number two would be drummers who think they are supposed to fill up all the holes with rolls. Number three anyone that cant tune their instrument or sing in key.

#25858 by RhythmMan
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm
The most annoying thing is when a lead guitarist thinks he has to be louder than the whole band combined . . .

#25862 by Chris2203
Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:48 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:The most annoying thing is when a lead guitarist thinks he has to be louder than the whole band combined . . .

I agree. Like Joe Satriani. Live, His band is so much lower in the mix than him. It detracts from the song IMO.
Counter that is Steve Vai - unless it's a true "solo" spot, his band is in the same level of the mix - thus delivering a more complete piece of music.

#25874 by Irminsul
Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:49 pm
A lead singer, especially when they have no skills as a communicator with the crowd.

#25880 by neanderpaul
Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:07 am
Anybody who needs to be louder than everybody else. An even mix is very important.

#26153 by philbymon
Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 pm
Harmonica!! Omg I HATE that instrument!!!

The number of times I've seen ppl who THINK they can just join in with me, no matter what key harp they have, or what key I'm playing in...GRRRRRR. I've had them sit at the bar & play during my act after I told them tnx for the support but I work ALONE!!! I've wanted a gun more times than I can count to use on those iritating lil bass-turds!!!!

Even the more accomplaished harmonica-ppl will make a mike shriek & overplay.

I really hate that thing.

Next to that are the ppl that can't/won't tune, or play too loud or off beat.

Singers that sing off-key or drag a song down by constantly coming in late or who are really bad at entertaining the audience.

Yeah, there's a LOT of stuff that can really tweak my nerveses.
#26478 by raycparrish
Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:43 am
Nothing worse then a drummer that cannot stay in the pcket and just groove......we call em groove killers. I guess they get bored and feel like they have to fill in everywhere. We two have two drummers here in Tucson, Chip Ritter & Erik Truelove that will blow your mind without ever touching a tom....they are real musicians. Google them.

www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com

#26692 by Irminsul
Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:52 pm
philbymon wrote:Harmonica!! Omg I HATE that instrument!!!.

Especially when some call it a "harp". That really annoys me.

#26695 by HowlinJ
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 pm
Irmy,
Consider this. If the term "harp" only pertains to the stringed variaty,then the word"Gay" only means "happy".And the noun "faggot" is nothing but the bundle of sticks that I burn in my masonry wood stove. If I was jammin' in a Chicago blues club, I sure nuff wouldn't refer to my instrument as a "Harmonica" nor a "mouth organ". :P
You'll know a good blues harp player when you hear one. Just like a good piper. :D
Howlin'

#26712 by philbymon
Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 pm
Irminsul wrote:
philbymon wrote:Harmonica!! Omg I HATE that instrument!!!.

Especially when some call it a "harp". That really annoys me.

Eh...I figure you'll get over it.

#26732 by Irminsul
Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 am
HowlinJ wrote:Irmy,
Consider this. If the term "harp" only pertains to the stringed variaty,then the word"Gay" only means "happy".And the noun "faggot" is nothing but the bundle of sticks that I burn in my masonry wood stove. If I was jammin' in a Chicago blues club, I sure nuff wouldn't refer to my instrument as a "Harmonica" nor a "mouth organ". :P
You'll know a good blues harp player when you hear one. Just like a good piper. :D
Howlin'

Mmmm, not buyin this one. See, "harp" comes from the norse word "harfa" which means "to pluck". You pluck strings, you can't pluck a wind instrument (unless there is some bizarre application that I haven't seen performed yet). I know some colloquialisms that occur for some creative reasons, but this one is just off the mark in all ways.

Plus I get sick of having to add the rejoinder "the one with strings" every time someone asks me what I play and I tell them "the harp".

#26735 by fisherman bob
Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:21 am
Harmonica when overplayed can be very annoying. It is an effect instrument. In certain songs it fits in perfectly. We have an excellent keyboard player who also plays harmonica (you can check out some of our tunes on my profile page). I've heard a lot of blues bands and other bands where you constantly hear harmonica. Nothing could be more annoying to me and I'm a bluesman. Two of my all-time favorite harmonica players are Junior Wells and Sonny Boy Williamson II. Their use of the instrument is done with perfect taste, not overplayed, not too dirty. They knew how to MAKE IT WORK. On some of their tunes there's very little if any harmonica. It is a side instrument and needs to be used sparingly to be most effective. I went years ago to a Nighthawks show and COULDN'T STAND the harmonica. It was constant and always played in the highest register. The guy was a GREAT harmonica player but needed to put spaces in way more places. My two cents...