This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#25139 by CaptnWar
Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:17 pm
I live in Ingersoll Ontario (between London and Woodstock).
And I have come to complain about my own lack of ability to drive (I know, I suck)
Anyone else have problems finding people to play with...
I think that is why we're here.

#25143 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm
I... Never have found anyone, lol. I have tried... And tried... The only person I jam with is a friend who found me online actually. Ever since we have been trying to find a bass player, drummer, and vocalist as well... None are out there, so right now he is doing some other band stuff, and I am just looking around.

Peace, GuitarAnatomy.

#25154 by gbheil
Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:54 pm
I helped build our band using the seek and ye shall find method. It was a long and frustrating process but I have great friends to jam with as the result. I,m here to encourage as much as I can others and to seek insight from other musicians. I,m also a natural born smartass and enjoy some pointed humor from time to time. :D

#30874 by Wee-Lamm Tunes
Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 am
Just a thought but, perhaps you could work with a local business or even a library or community center to set up a weekly jam session/performance night.

You may be surprised how many people in your area have talent or at least ambitions in music. You likely won't like all of the examples that come out but that's not the point. exposing yourself (musically of course) to anyone and everyone is my thought.

hth,
Wee-Lamm

#31018 by Andragon
Fri May 09, 2008 12:02 am
dude, aren't you on Newgrounds?? .. I swear to God I heard the "first riff" recording on there.
Yea, it's more bout the different locations, more than anything.

#31367 by Paleopete
Tue May 13, 2008 12:11 pm
Not being able to drive would be a problem. May I ask why?

Most of the time bands shy away from someone without transportation, because unfortunately it usually means someone with a never-ending supply of excuses...and no gas money...I used to pick up a fellow guitar player for band practice, since his house was only 50 feet out of my way, and because that was the only way we could get him to practice every time on time. Never got a penny for gas... Otherwise he was always at least an hour late...we finally convinced the band "leader" it was in our better interest to let him go.

Fortunately I've very rarely been without a way to get to practice or gigs, and on the unusual occasion it did happen the bands usually didn't mind, since I was always there and on time, usually early, helped load and unload equipment, all that... and they always knew there was a valid reason I needed a ride. In one band I always rode with my next door neighbor, who was sound man, due to economics. I'd help with gas, he lived next door, never had to leave his driveway, just walk next door and see if I was ready to go. when things didn't link up right, I'd take my car, but he didn't get any gas money. :D

Problem for someone in your position is even if you are dependable, they have no way of knowing that until they give you a month or two trial, but soon as you say can't drive, they usually back out, they're expecting the worst.

I have transportation, that's not the problem, problem is around here there are few places to play and no bands forming or looking for players, the ones that are usually turn out to be flakes. I've had 3 calls in 5 years...2 turned out to be flakes, the other ended badly after 1 1/2 years gigging. One had me at band practice for 3 or 4 months, $10 gas every trip, then just didn't return my call one day...or ever again...

Since the last one, no calls in over a year, nothing on here, nothing from a couple of other online want ads...

Good luck, I know it sucks not having the ability to drive, (notice I didn't say YOU suck, it might not be all your fault, benefit of the doubt until I know better...) I hope you can find something in your area, maybe some people who are willing to work with you.

#31370 by philbymon
Tue May 13, 2008 1:22 pm
I can only think of 4 reasons for why a person can't drive in Canada.

1) Failure to make child support payments - this automatically puts you in the "undependable" column

2) DUI arrests - again - "undependable"

3) Too many traffic violations - "undependable" & possibly dangerously uncoordinated

4) Blindness - if that's the case, I'd be more than happy to go out of my way to accomodate your needs, if indeed you turn out to be "dependable"

#31486 by Heather.S
Wed May 14, 2008 5:03 am
I seem to have the same problem as all of you guys with not being able to find ppl to form a band with, or a band to join. Although in my case it's mainly that I can't find anyone that needs a singer and isn't a hard rock/heavy metal band. I do more pop, alternative etc I sing some rock stuff like evanescence but I don't have a hard rock or raspy voice. If you guys know of anybody in the london area looking for a singer that sounds like my style please don't hesitate to send me a msg on here. Thanks 8) :)

#31489 by CaptnWar
Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 am
deleted, fixed below.
Last edited by CaptnWar on Wed May 14, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

#31490 by CaptnWar
Wed May 14, 2008 7:41 am
REASON # 5 why someone in Canada would have no drivers license:
made a bad choice, lived with a thief.

# 6:
made a second bad choice, forced into college = debt

# 7
refusing to work at McDicks or tim HORtons, only two places to get a job in my town. factories have been laying off for the past five years, and things are not getting any better when sh*t like Walmart keep taking over and reducing everyone to live for minimum wage.

BUT MY BIKE WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF GAS

#31492 by philbymon
Wed May 14, 2008 11:41 am
Okay...um...I don't really get the "forced into college" thing, but I hope it works out for the best for you.

Sounds like you really need to straighten out some things in your life, CW. Do you honestly think you can BE dependable within all of these parameters? If you do, then sell yourself well, work hard & fix your personal problems, & get that car, too.

Seriously, I'm not picking on you, but to be a qualified member of any team endeavor, you need to be able to contribute as much as possible to the needs of the team. In a band situation, that means carrying your own load, both on stage & off. I would not advertise that I screwed up & need help to strangers who may not understand while I was searching for ppl to play with, myself, though.

Let's face it. The 1st thing that comes to mind, here, for me as an outsider to your troubles, is "flake," or "druggie," or "alkie." I would hesitate to start working with that. Nothing personal, CW, it's just what I read into it, going from my own experiences in life.

If you are that poor college student who's looking for ppl to play with, find them on your campus until you can get that car or trailer to drag behind your bike to get your equipment to the gigs.

Also, consider that you are posting a thread in a forum with a lot of professional players/singers, many of whom have decades of pro work under thier belts. When I 1st looked at your post, I didn't even check out your ad. Why? Mostly the car thing, but I also looked at your avatar. The pot leaf tells me a lot about you, too.

If I were serious about music, yet still smoked pot, I would downplay it when looking for others to play with. If it's a lifestyle choice for you that's an integral part of the music, well that, too, says "flake" to me, the seasoned pro. I've wasted a lot of time on ppl whp preferred to be wasted than to produce quality stuff.

Now that I have taken the time to look at your ad, I see that you aren't looking to be a pro, but just looking for ppl to fool around with.

In that case, I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree. I could be wrong, but imho you'd do better bouncing around on campus talking to ppl. Most of these ppl are pro's or want to be, from what I've seen. Sure you can advertise here. If you have a paid subscription, you can contact others. But most of us don't just want to sit around getting high & making noises. Go to the personals for that.

There have been times in my life that I screwed up & needed help from friends, & I was blessed to have it. Find some higher class friends at your school who won't get you into trouble. Get that job at Micky D's or Wally World & get your life together. (Of course you'll have to clean up your system before you can even do that, so take a month off the pot & do it.)

Okay, I'm done with the lecture, young'un. Go do whatever you're gonna do. Just do it well.

Good luck to you.

#31496 by Paleopete
Wed May 14, 2008 1:30 pm
Get that job at Micky D's or Wally World

Micky D's maybe, wally world is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. My sister worked for walmart for 5 years, still didn't make $6 an hour. Worst place I've ever seen, I've heard her stories and those of a half dozen of her friends who worked with her. It's not a place I recommend at all. I watched the same assistant manager that harrassed her for 3 years scream at a teller one night with 8 or 9 people in line at her register, had the girl in tears when he should have called her tot he office and talked to her like a human being. My sister had to drag me across the store away from him, knowing who he was I was about to start a fight.

He ordered my sister to take a 21" TV off the top shelf, she fell off the ladder with it and hurt her back, he lied on her workmans comp form and told them she did it on her own, out of her department. Wally world was going to deny workmans comp until 3 of her friends who were standing beside her when he ordered her to do it went to the district office. He wasn't her immediate boss either. He harrassed her for 3 years, made her life miserable, got her written up regularly for things she didn't do, killed pay raises whenever he could, kept her doind crap jobs out of her department so she stayed in hot water because her own work wasn't finished...

Store manager wouldn't do a thing, district manager was the only reason she stayed as long as she did. When she quit I was damn glad, I'd been trying to get her to leave that evil place for 2 years. I don't like to walk in a wally world still, over 10 years later. Only go there when I have to.

CW it sounds like you need to sort things out. Getting the transportation issue resolved will be the biggest consideration as far as bands go, Philby's comments might not be pleasant, but he pretty much spelled out everything musicians automatically think when you say can't drive. I'd get rid of the pot leaf too, it would make me hesitant about working with you, since 90% of the people I've known refuse to do it AFTER practice/gig. I have to, it started affecting my concentration around 10 years ago, I never even take one with me for the ride home any more.

I just got a mess dumped in my lap at a gig not long ago trying to work with a guy who had a problem with both drugs and alcohol. Said he played straight, only drank a beer or two...showed up 1 1/2 hours late, got wasted, played a half hour set and downed at least one beer and 4 shots, smoked one in the parking lot and proceeded to stumble all over the stage then fell on his face, went outside and left me to play a song my date wanted to hear, I then found out the bass player and drummer had never played it, after he told them to just follow me, he lost his lunch and [passed out, left me to do the rest of the gig 3 piece with 2 guys I'd just met a couple of hours ago. Then told us he had a stomach virus...

Fortunately the bass and drummer were excellent musicians, two of the best I've had the pleasure of jamming with in years, we managed to pull off enough songs to make the night and sounded great, never took more than 30 seconds between songs, very few wrong notes, audience loved us, club manager was the first to run up and shake my hand and tell us how good we sounded, so it ended well. Could have been a total disaster though...I've played a lot of fill in gigs, and have played songs I've never even heard a bunch of times, so I didn't have much trouble, the other guys were seasoned enough they could handle it too, so it turned out really well. we got lucky...

So the pot leaf would make me think twice, same as I do when someone trells me they like to drink, but just a couple to "loosen up"...yeah right, I've heard that before...usually just before they get roaring drunk and make the whole band look like crap.

If you're looking for a professional gig, you have to approach it in a professional manner, as your job, which is exactly what it is. I don't drink or smoke weed at work, don't touch it onstage either and get pissed if someone else does and makes me look bad too. I dislike iet even more when they claim to drink in moderation and in reality get just as wasted as anyone in the audience.

They're usually also the ones that show up ill equipped, constantly borrowing guitar cords, picks, strings, mic stands, mics, always late, don't practice at home...in other words flaky...and don't think you can fool people, if you don't practice at home, you get to band rehearsal and I know it in 15 minutes. That's usually when I know you're there to party now play later...I'm the opposite, I print in large text on my flyers for local music stores PLAY NOW PARTY LATER. I strongly believe in it too.

Like Philby, sorry if I sound severe, too many people have shown me they can't or won't put the music first, where it should be. I show up for gigs with new strings, extras in a tuning kit, extra guitar cables, at least an hour early to set up, stage clothes ready so I don't play in the grungies I end up with setting up, I'm the one you see helping lug the PA in, bad back and all, the drunk is the one standing in the corner watching...

I expect no less of everyone else. If I can put everything else on the back burner and play then party, they can too, no excuses. If I'm the one looking for musicians, that's what I'm looking for, the cartoon and pot leaf tell me think twice. Is that cartoon you? Head in the clouds and stoned? Hmmm....I'm not likely to look much further...

#31510 by gbheil
Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 pm
Yes, we all must take time on the occasion to get our poop in a group.
Then get on with life as it is the second greatist gift we have.

#31516 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 14, 2008 3:37 pm
Wow, welcome to delusion central..

Je parle cette, mon petite chien.. lol

#31546 by Andragon
Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 pm
Captain Scott wrote:Wow, welcome to delusion central..

Je parle cette, mon petite chien.. lol

lol I hope you realize what you just said =P :lol: