This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#148 by Sandi Joy
Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:33 am
I'm begging anyone with songwriting knowledge to help guide me in the right direction.
I'm primarily a singer, yet lately I have found myself becoming a songwriter. I come up with these crazy cool melodies and lyrics that are way too good to let slip away. I have mimimal skills on the piano, and can't play any other instrument. I hear the instruments in my head, but have no way of getting them out of there.
I can and have done the voice recorder thing, where I can record myself singing what I've come up with...and of course I can write the lyrics down. But what about the rest of the song? The chord changes? The rythym? Bass line? etc....
I've been trying to teach myself the piano for a while, but am not skilled enough to play how i need to just yet. So, what do I do in the meantime?

I'm in the middle of having one of those 2 a.m., creativity spasms where this kick arse song flew into my head out of nowhere, and I'm afraid to lose it.

Please help me. I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks,
Sandi
#149 by Guest
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:43 pm
I really feel your frustration. Most musicians / artist will say that their abiliy to create within their own mind surpasses their ability to get it out to the world. Keep learning the piano, the Piano and Guitar are the song writers best friends. With technology like it is you can rely on sample libraries to help you convey your idea this helps but can be frustrating because of limited tempo and key options. The last and probably the best option is to find someone who believe in you and is willing to use their talents to help you. This will probably have to be someone local because of the time involved but again with technology and the internet you may find a mentor online. Submit your ideas to the site as mp3's and see if anyone bites. Another good site to find colaborators is iCompositions @ www.icompositons.com check it out! Be patient anything worth doing takes time. This is a life long process, enjoy the ride!

:D

#150 by WoodJam
Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 pm
As a singer and songwriter, I my opinion, the most critical phase is converting what you hear in your head to a memory device; may it be paper for lyrics or voice recorder(best) which allows you to decifer the key you first created the song in..

With that said, you must focus on closing the timeframe between the "thought" to memory device. If such a device is not available, your next step would be to choose what you like most about it; the beat, rhythm, lyrics, other?........choose only 1. Run it through your head, until you cant forget it. Try to keep adding to it to a minimal. Take it home with you. Once you have it, then focus back on the "extras".

The ultimate device is a multitrack recorder. Esp if you intend to produce you own demo's. This will also make your songwriting capabilites increase untold amounts.

Its a start, hope it helps. Good Luck. -WoodJam

#151 by Sandi Joy
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am
Just knowing that my frustrations are common among musicians helps more than you can imagine.

By viewing both your profiles and listening to your audio files, it's safe to say you both are EXTREMELY talented musicians and songwriters.
Have you found that finding the right person to collaborate your ideas with is an extreme challenge?

Since I posted my first distress call to you guys, I've managed to work out the chords of my song on the keyboard and record them in the keyboard's memory bank, which is half the battle. I've got the lyrics down and as soon as I become more comfortable in the recording aspect of the keyboard, I'll be able to lay multiple tracks of the song, one at a time, which I'm looking forward to. I'm such a rookie. lol

Thanks again for your help. You guys rock.

-Sandi
#152 by Guest
Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:10 pm
Persistance is the key! You really have to want it enough to break down the walls that impede the creative process. Another idea is to find a teacher who is talented enough to help you play your music. Most teachers (the unskilled ones) have a very regimented learning process. Gifted ones can feed you what you need to get you where you want to go as quicklly as possible. They can also help you to learn to play your music by listening to your vocal line and presenting options. Good luck in finding a mentor or teacher this is the ideal situation but is often as hard as lfinding your soul mate. :) (Not to discourage you) The process that you have just gone through is how most songs are born. Like natural childbirth it is a somewhat painful process that eventually leads to the creation of something wonderful and new. Another way in which it is like childbirth is that once you've gone though the process the next time it is usually easier and so forth and so forth. Time and persistance will be your friend. Avoid frustration and find JOY in the process of creating regardless of how hard the process may be at times. You must climb the mountain to enjoy the view from the top.

Lenny :)
#153 by Guest
Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:58 pm
YOu don't have to be a very good musician to capture and record your melody line. There is NOTHING worse than singing a good melody line (or hearing it in your head) and then forgetting it / losing when when you are trying to pick out the notes.

Step 1. Buy something you can sing into on a moments' notice. this can be the CHEAPEST cassette player on Earth. Sing into it.

Step 2. Buy or borrow some computer recording software. Look up Cakewalk Home Studio, alot of bang for the buck. This will allow you to record the ideas onto your computer, one track at a time.

Sing the melody somewhere you can get to it later.

Next, let's say that you put down a metronome beat on Track 1. Now on track 2, record those basic guitar chords. On track 3, a basic bass part (use a keyboard if you need to). On track 4, pick out that lead line. When played simultaneously, it will sound good. You can continue multitracking a little piece at a time until you have it captured.

It works, I promise. I have 11 examples on my web page at
http://www.flash.net/~tomj/music
I play and sing all that stuff, one track at a time, and I'm not a great guitar player.

Feel free to email / ask questions / anything I can do.
Thanks,
-Tom
[email protected]

#154 by Guest
Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 pm
[b]Just so you know, I’m not trying to sell my-self I’m just trying to go for something big, as you see I have got a different inspires and I came from a different culture , I think it can be great so work together , lets talk and I’ll send you some my own material and I will leave the respond to you…try me. :) [/b]

#155 by Guest
Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:55 am
Hey, i am also a singer/songwriter, I'm in a band now and i've been through this many times. You need to find a good guitarist or pianist, and not someone you have to pay. Find someone to start a real project with or even a band. Someone who is committed and reliable and has similar style as you. Put out a bunch of ads saying your style, influences, experience, and what you're looking for. Then start auditioning guitarists and make sure they're the right person. Meanwhile, get a little Sony mini-recorder. Take it with you everywhere. Start singing all your ideas onto this device so that you can go back and listen anytime. Sing it exactly the way you have it in your head and write down all your lyrics. Once you find the guitarist, you'll have something to start with. Also, make sure that the person can PLAY and WRITE BY EAR! This is so important... they should have some theory knowledge, but it's more important when it's originals that they can come up with stuff easily by hearing your vocals. Well, hope this helps!
~Lyndsay
(Singer of Forsaken Truth) www.myspace.com/forsakentruthband

#157 by Sandi Joy
Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:14 pm
Thank you for all the great ideas.... I'm continuing my search for people to collaberate with, but I'm sure y'all are aware of how frustrating that can be. ...All to pay off in the end though....

Please keep the thoughts coming if you have any! You've all been more helpful than you can imagine!

And watch my video on my profile! :)

#156 by lincoln
Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:44 am
Hey girl...you rock...great voice !!!!

If someday you decide to go to the Christian side of music give me a call.

Lincoln

954 588 9810

God bless!!!
#158 by fisherman bob
Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:18 am
I read the responses and they are all very good, however I may have a different slant on things. I'm a veteran bass player/singer/songwriter and I start my songwriting on the bass. I get the entire song in my head, then I come up with a solid bass-line. I'm in a band with a very experienced, creative keyboardist and lead guitar player. When I present the song to them they almost instantly come up with very workable parts. Bass guitar is a fairly easy instrument to learn, I would suggest getting a bass and amp, and if you practice enough, within a few months it will help you tremendously in your songwriting. Then you could attract an advanced keyboardist, guitarist, and drummer and really start kicking out your originals. A female bass player who sings and write songs would really kick ass, and probably be in high demand. Good luck, BE PATIENT, and ENJOY what you are doing. Later-Fisherman Bob :D

#25661 by AHRIMAN
Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:28 pm
Without being able to play an instrument that you can play chords on, you have basically two choices. 1. Establish contact with an instrumentalist ( either keys or guitar ) that has a good ear and at least rudimentary theory knowledge who can chart out the supporting harmonic structure to your melodies, or 2. take lessons on one of those two instruments. Trying to teach yourself is indeed frustrating and will take time away from writing. Also, a teacher will be able to help you with the theory of chord structure and progression in addition to teaching you to play the instrument. Whatever you do, keep the hair! Good luck...

#25665 by RhythmMan
Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:44 pm
emotiondetector7,
Learn an instrument, and practice.
Learn to count on yourself . . . .

#25671 by The KIDD
Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:24 pm
Hey Girl,

Dont drink ? Dont smoke? NO DRUGS?, Well..(I never...)...Your off to a bad start already....JUST KIDDIN>>> :roll: :lol: :P ...Actually, Im proud of ya... I just wanted to suggest a sequencer...Get ya an old one (cheaper)(be sure its at least 16 bit and has MIDI) ..That way youve got drums , piano, bass, strings and hundreds of other sounds and samples at your disposal...There as easy as using a cassette recorder...Truly a song writers best friend...Ive been using an Ensoniq SQ1 16 trk sequencer since 89, and still use it today for piano,strings, B3 and drums...With a sequencer, you can record your playing VERY SLOW, then with one movement of a data entry slider, you speed up the BPM...I think their alot easier and less time consuming than a computer(too much mouse clickin /editing)..You can get your ideas down QUICK...

Welcome to the board.

John

#25713 by RyanStrain3032
Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:38 am
The problem is more common than you think...And, don't tear your hair out...It's pretty. :)