This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18417 by Mykk
Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Hey Everyone,

I've been having problems with my 400+, I hope it's just a case of replacing the tubes.

It's currently got 12 fender groove tube GT6L6B and 4 un-named 12AX7's, Mesa/Boogie claims that the 400+ uses standard 6L6 tubes. Is there a problem with using 6L6B?!

While the power is on & standby is on. The tubes get hot quick, the 4 pre amp tubes start to glow. But the power amp tubes really light up and emit tons of heat, and I don't even need to be playing yet. Even at very low volumes the tubes glow red hot.

The 400+ gets run into a Ampeg PR-1832HE cab run in Full mode @ 4ohms and I use an Ampeg SVT-IIP bass pre into input/volume 2 of the 400+

I've also noticed that while playing gigs, and using the 400+ XLR out into the houses mixer/P.A. the signal is VERY hot. ( I don't like mics, my cab hums & rattles and such) I insure they use the mixers Pad. Even than my channel needs to be very minimal and I still dominate the P.A... so it's not all bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, before I go drop the huge chunk of change on 16 new tubes just to find that my problem still consists.

Cheers ~Mykk

#19397 by Mykk
Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:30 am
I plugged the 400+ in today, it worked for about 2 minutes before it blew the slo-blo fuse.... something is seriously wrong