This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15452 by johnnya
Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:53 am
Makes me wonder where music will be 100 yrs from now. In the past , we heard music from all ages, and how much has that changed? Maybe it might all never change that much, seems like we are in these times what all ancient forefathers talked about, these times, the music and life go hand in hand altering mens destiny. Things are changing, will music?

#15462 by Irminsul
Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 am
Always has, always will. The question is - will you, as Cat Stevens said, "dance on this earth" for your short while?

#15478 by jw123
Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm
Over time music seems to me to get more and more fragmented.

One day a kid will be able to order music that he wants individually for themselves. In other words everyones favorite music will be their own. Its kind of already happening. Think if a plug was installed in everyone and they just made their own music. It would eliminate the need for musicians, cause everyone has music in them they just dont know how to project it or pull it out of their system. Once technology overcomes that hurdle anyone will be able to think music and then just create it.

Capt Scott will appreciate this cause all music will be head music.

Sounds like Ive been seeing UFOs and Rainbows again!

Just a thought.

JW

#15495 by Irminsul
Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:02 pm
"Fragmented"? That's an interesting appraisal. I'm finding just the opposite, at least in pop circles. If you don't play punk, "alternative", hiphop or metal, you're sort of out of luck in finding players.

Now if you want to talk about the fringes, that's a different matter.

#15502 by JJW III
Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:45 pm
Music will not stay the same for a hundred years.

It will continue it's current trend and get worse.

#15504 by Starfish Scott
Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:47 pm
I mean, it's bad now. How much worse could it get?

Suddenly I think "Thunder" is a great single. LOL

#15509 by jimmydanger
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:31 am
People bemoaning the death of music make me smile. There's an incredible abundance of amazing music being made. No, you probably won't hear it on your Clear Channel radio stations but if you seek it out you can find it. To the topic, music will be fine in one hundred years; the symphony will still play Dvorak's "New World", the coffee shop players will still play the Beatles, and the young rocker kids will still wear Black Sabbath T-Shirts. Just because your better days have passed doesn't mean rock and roll is dead.

#15512 by Irminsul
Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:45 am
Let me echo that statement.

* When Richard Wagner debuted the operas of his "Middle stage" in the early 1840s, critics in Germany bewailed the "death of opera as we know it" and one critic in particular likened Herr Wagner's music to "the sound of a bomb being thrown into the orchestra pit".

* When Igor Stravinsky debuted his landmark composition "The Rite of Spring" in Paris in 1913, it led to a full on riot that spilled out into the streets and involved police trying to maintain civic order.

So the next time someone is soothsaying the death of music, tell yourself that music is indeed miraculous, having been killed off all these many times; and is yet still here.

#15514 by JJW III
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:23 am
Irminsul wrote:* When Igor Stravinsky debuted his landmark composition "The Rite of Spring" in Paris in 1913, it led to a full on riot that spilled out into the streets and involved police trying to maintain civic order.

If that happend at a recent concert I would be impressed. At least some one, would have felt strongly about something.

#15515 by RhythmMan
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 am
Hmmm . . . the only thing I don't like about opera . . . is the singing . . .
:)

#15518 by Irminsul
Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:55 am
Oh, I left out the infamous footage of some loudmouth peckerwood southern baptist preacher who said Elvis was not only the death of music, but the onslaught of the antichrist.

I'm all shook up.

#15519 by Craig Maxim
Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 am
I agree with Jimmy and Irminsul on this one. There is always someone out there, creating great music. In certain times, finding it just requires a little more work. Whenever someone shouts it's death cry, something comes along and grabs the public's attention.

But the topic was about whether it would remain the same in 100 years. I think it is both yes and no. The root of music, the vibrations of pitch and tone, and maybe some meaningful lyrics, will always move people. It is ageless. We were sung to, whether in actual song, or the sing/song of a mother talking baby talk to her child, since we were infants. We are born into it. It will always be relevant to us and to future generations.

There are some interesting things going on though, with internet as distribution and satellite radio, it is becoming even more fragmented than ever, whether for good or bad. People can listen to their own nitch, no matter how small, all day long, through MP3 players, downloading off the internet, and satellite radio, among other things in the works. Will this mean more snobbery? Where people almost become unaware of each other's musical preferences, as we tune the world out and hibernate within our own preferred genre? Of course there is always television shows and movies, which would expose music to the masses that you would normally avoid or be unaware of.

Or will the reverse occur, where the diversity of genres available open up a whole new world of music, that many people would not normally ever have the chance to be aware of?

I wonder especially though, about the delivery system of music. It is delivered to our ears through speakers, whether large or small, as in headphones, through sound waves. Will there be in the future a new method of delivery? Say directly to our brains without our ears ever being involved? What would that be like? After all, even through our ears, it is still our brains interpreting the sound waves. Would music in this form, be like injecting a drug directly into the blood stream? Which delivers an almost immediate sensation?

Imagine music being projected, almost directly, into the brain, along with stimulating certain areas of the brain to trigger the sensations that matched the music? For example, a sensual love song, that besides stimulating us musically, also triggered those sensations physically as well.

That would make for an interesting subway commute. LOL

On second thought, maybe that's a bad idea? There could be half as many fans of The Cure, as there are right now, as depression on an even deeper scale sets in when listening to A Letter To Elise.

;-)
#15520 by fisherman bob
Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:34 am
each decade. The sixties started with Dion & The Belmonts and ended with Led Zeppelin. It's impossible to predict what will happen to music a hundred years from now. One thing is for sure, some genres of music re-circulate and become popular again many years after they were first popular. Maybe a hundred years from now musicians will combine different forms of music together. Think of the possibilities. Rockabilly and jazz (jazzabilly?). Classical and rap (Crapical?). Zen and Alternative (Alternazen), Blues and New Wave (Blue Wave?), etc. Think of the possibilities. Perhaps people we don't think much of today (Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Billy Idol) will be considered the geniuses of our time a hundred years from now. Maybe not. Later...

#15524 by Craig Maxim
Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:24 am
Random Music Generator

From Their Website...

About WolframTones

When prominent scientist Stephen Wolfram published A New Kind of Science in 2002, it was immediately hailed as a major intellectual landmark. Today the paradigm shift that Wolfram's work initiated is starting revolutions in a remarkable range of areas of science, technology--and the arts. WolframTones is an experiment in applying Wolfram's discoveries to the creation of music.

At the core of A New Kind of Science is the idea of exploring a new abstract universe: a "computational universe" of simple programs. In A New Kind of Science, Wolfram shows how remarkably simple programs in his "computational universe" capture the essence of the complexity--and beauty--of many systems in nature.

WolframTones works by taking simple programs from Wolfram's computational universe, and using music theory and Mathematica algorithms to render them as music. Each program in effect defines a virtual world, with its own special story--and WolframTones captures it as a musical composition.

It's all original music--fresh from "mining" Wolfram's computational universe. Sometimes it's reminiscent of familiar musical styles; sometimes it's like nothing ever heard before. It's a taste of what it's like to explore the computational universe--and a hint what's to come...

<b> MAKE YOUR OWN RANDOW COMPOSITIONS HERE: </b>

http://tones.wolfram.com/generate/

#15531 by Irminsul
Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:36 am
LOL what a bunch of nonsense. But hey, without nonsense, what would the internet be!