This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#12610 by InflatableBassPlayer
Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:30 am
I got into these 60's Cali heads from my love of US garage / psych and absolutely love what these dudes did between 1966 and 1970.......In A Gadda Da Vida of course is great but they did some really trippy bass-heavy rock as well. Doug Ingle had a great (if slightly ridiculous) baritone vocal and Lee Dorman is my favourite bassist. I really like his sound and he plays some amazing wandering lines. He's still in the band too! Any one else dig the Butterfly?

#12616 by jimmydanger
Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:19 pm
Of course! They were the first "Heavy Metal" band I got into. Also loved "Are You Happy?" and "Most Anything That You Want" from that album. On another thread I mentioned Gun and Love Sculpture from the same period. You dig?

#12620 by InflatableBassPlayer
Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:50 pm
hell are you kidding I think Most Anything That You Want (girlllll) is one of the greatest records ever made. That fabulous rolling bassline is incredible to hear and still hard to play no matter how much I try.

My fave Butterfly tracks:

So Lo
Fields Of Sun
Stamped Ideas
Most Anything That You Want
My Mirage
Are You Happy
In A Gadda Da Vida
and pretty much all of Ball

I dig baby

#12621 by InflatableBassPlayer
Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:52 pm
oh and Gun if that's the English 3 piece who did Race With The Devil yeah absolutely. Love Sculpture was Dave Edmunds wasn't it?

#12626 by jimmydanger
Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 pm
I'm impressed, you know your stuff. Edmund's version of "The Sabre Dance" still blows my mind, 15 minutes of intense guitar solo. Too bad I'm here in the colonies, we could probably make sweet tones. Check out www.myspace.com/ruimusik and www.myspace.com/thefarleys for more of me.

#12674 by InflatableBassPlayer
Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:15 pm
Wow I'm seriously impressed. Nice one. It's a pity indeed that we're 4500 miles apart. Strange fact: the guitarist in our line up has a surname Farley. Cue twilight zone music.

I have both the Gun CD's at home. The first one is better than the second, but then their guitarist also played in the Baker Gurvitz Army later on didn't he. Must get hold of their albums one day.

#12682 by jimmydanger
Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 pm
Hey thanks man, it is a small world. I didn't know the Gun stuff was available on CD, I still have the old vinyl. Rock on!

#26464 by philbymon
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:57 pm
Didn't that bass player mysteriously disappear after designing an engine that ran on water or air or something?

#26469 by gbheil
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 pm
Ah yes the Iron butterfly, My first foray into Rock-N-Roll found an 8 track in the bar ditch out on a horse ride. Threw away my cowboy boots and never looked back!

#26525 by HowlinJ
Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:05 pm
I covered Innagaddadivida in most all of my 60's bands. One sixpeice (2 lead guitar players,2 keyboards, bass & drums), did an excellent rendition of "Termination".

Years later, my wife Cin (bass) and I put a sweet little duo (Night Breed) together, and we covered Innagadda... (I programmed the drums(WITH SOLO) on an Alesis HR-16) Wasn't as good as a real drummer, but we blew a lot of minds! :twisted:

P.S. Guitarist Eric Brann was 17yrs old when the classic album was recorded. :shock:

#27211 by Senior Jalapeno
Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm
I got to play Ina-Gadda-Davida (a shorter version w/ 1/16th the drum solo) @ a St. Patty's Day Parade party the Sat. before. Our KBist did a great hammond B3 intro and I just jumped in with the 1/4 note HH and syncopated kick. The bass player and guitarist fell right in. We all looked at each other and just busted out laughing. We had never practcied it together b4 ! But we all seemed to know it and people started dancing to it. Fun Time that day!!

#31272 by Paleopete
Mon May 12, 2008 12:40 pm
Hehe...had to bump this one, really brought back memories and for some reason I missed it a month ago...

In A Gadda Da Vida was one of the first cover songs I learned with my band in high school, and the first song I learned on drums. Solo included. It was supposed to be In A Garden Of Eden, singer was so drunk it came out the way you hear on the album, so they changed the name to match and the rest is history.

Lee Dorman (bass) and Rhino (lead guitar) went on to join Rod Evans (Deep Purple's 1st vocalist) and Bobby Caldwell (Johnny Winter's drummer) and formed Captain Beyond, incredible band and the first actual supergroup. The 1st Capt Beyond album is still one of my favorites, I keep a copy on cassette all the time so I don't wear out my very hard to find album. Definitely worth a listen if you're a Butterfly fan. If you can find it. I never managed to get my hands on a copy of Sufficiently Breathless, the 2nd one, so I don't know about it, but the reviews I've seen didn't score it well. I've seen reviews way wide of the mark plenty times though...

Strangely enough, I was never a big Iron Butterfly fan, In A Gadda was the only song I really was exposed to, I was only able to listen to radio at the time, no such thing as FM so it was top 40, and that was crap like Tommy Roe, Partridge Family and other such ilk that I was quickly losing interest in, but it was the only rock n roll around...till a friend put on a Grand Funk album one day and life was never the same again...then I immersed myself in the immortal white album...(yeah I know that was backwards, but I had to borrow them and sneak them into the house, my father would throw screaming fits if he heard rock at all in HIS house...I wasn't allowed to own or listen to it untilI was in high school and really rebelled...refused to let him tell me what I could listen to, he hated me for it forever)

So I got into a lot of this later on, after I joined the military and was exposed to friends' album collections. Moby Grape, Atomic Rooster, Captain Beyond, Crack the Sky, Southerland Brothers and Quiver, Genesis, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Rush, Queen, and so on...but never did listen to Iron Butterfly much for some odd reason, as much as I like Lee Dorman and Rhino...

#31829 by Franny
Sun May 18, 2008 11:55 am
philbymon wrote:Didn't that bass player mysteriously disappear after designing an engine that ran on water or air or something?
That was Iron Butterfly's 70's bassist Philip Taylor Kramer. He was the prodigal "Rocket Scientist" worked on rocket guidance systems, he had a clearance level that even our President couldn't touch. Invented some electronic stuff for public use also. Thers a ton more about him, google.

#141202 by lever559
Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm
Iron Butterfly rule!!!

wall art
#141538 by Mark Phillips
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 am
Hello All,
The name Iron Butterfly came back as a long forgotten summer's day from youth; I knew that name but couldn't think from where it was or where I heard their records.
I just typed it into youtube and saw a very competent drummer who I guessed was from the band playing along to Inagagadavida... hey can anyone confirm if those are traps drums he plays in his studio cubicle?
The song seems longer than it warrants and I think he did well not to lose the will to live before the end, as clearly he has played it for a hundred years or more.
I cannot say the song had a lot going for it but he really gave it everything he could.
I am a sucker for the distant echoes of our rock past... stuff that for many was barely listenable when it was made, but somehow still clings on today... it gives me the hope to carry on!
Mark....................