This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11511 by RhythmMan
Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:40 am
This song:
"Folks I knew (If You Catch Me Crying)"
I wrote/did everything in this, but the vocals, which are by Juliette Dubois.
I don't know what style it is.
I don't care.
A musician in the UK described it as "60's/70's acid/folk."
So if you've been talking w/me, and wondering about me & my music - here I am . . . . judge away . . .
I'm happy the way this came out, but I'm sure the critics will tell me all sorts of bad stuff about it.
Go ahead and slice and dice it people, I don't care any more.

#11514 by Irminsul
Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:01 am
That's not a bad song at all, actually. Why in the world did you try and sabotage it by assuming people will tear it shreds in a critique?

No reason to try and call the bear into the house, dude!

#11521 by DaveGTD
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:18 am
Yeah, that's a pretty nice song. Played and sung with a nice edge.

I don't know what style you'd call it; is that important? I never know how to categorize mine.

Your playing has almost a ragtime feel at times, or old down-home blues pickin'. Especially the second song on your profile.
#11522 by muzickmage
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 am
Great song ... and I agree with above comment .... don't know why you introduced as a punching bag for attacks....

Good work bluerock.

Alan Thebeau,
www.bidzcenter.com

#11524 by Paleopete
Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:54 am
I have to agree with the above, not bad at all. Some very interesting vocal parts, I like some of the overlapping vocals and harmonies combined with an octave, nice effect. I've always had a soft spot for an octave vocal now and then anyway. Personally I do think the guitar is too bright and needs some body...fullness, or whatever. A bit trebly...otherwise I can't see a thing to "slam it" about. All I have is that bit of constructive criticism - I would prefer a fuller guitar sound, otherwise a very nice job.

#11528 by Craig Maxim
Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:27 am
I like it. I'd call it folk. While not the same, it reminds me a little of Joni Mitchell or Peter, Paul & Mary. It's the harmonies doing that I think. Your guitar has a folk groove to it. Blending that with the harmonies, makes it a little trippy (I guess that's why your friend called it acid folk) but it is also moody and pretty, very melodic. It all works together.

Good job!

#11535 by RhythmMan
Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:32 pm
Thanks for the comments, guys. I guess I've been negatively conditioned . . .
I spent over 40 hours mixing . . .
There was a comment about the trebly tone of my guitar. Here's something about my guitar work in this song which you all might find interesting.
When recording, I recorded the guitar track twice, and was going to choose the one I liked best for the song. But - the two tracks seemed pretty much the same.
So I used BOTH tracks. One guitar is 75% on the left channel, and the other guitar is 75% on the right channel. They're both playing the same tune almost identically. Almost . . . (hey, I tried).
Most of the time the tempo is identical, and it sounds like one guitar. But where one guitar or the other is slightly off - it introduced either an echo or sometimes a phasing sound, which came and went as the timing slightly changed while playing. It seemed to be a nice effect, so I kept it. Most of the time it sounds like one guitar, though.
No effects were used on the guitar: 100% acoustic.
Also: credit where its due: I was a real taskmaster with Julie 'Jazz' Dubois on this song. I had her do something like 50 takes or so . . . about 8 voices are in the final . . .
(This isn't even her chosen style of music - she was between projects.)
I think she can really sing good, and yet I trashed most of her tracks because I wanted a different 'feel' for the song.
She's a real Trooper . . .

#11536 by Micawber
Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 pm
Best track ive heard on your profile to date, nice one, almost reminds me of hazel oconnor at times, really enjoyed it.

#11572 by Vocals & Bass
Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:45 pm
Nice tunes, Unique, Original, Keep the ball rolling Brother. [VB]

#11573 by True_Calling
Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:17 pm
BRAVO! Very cool.

I like giving the critique in the form of telling the person how it effected me or made me feel.

When I heard your music I felt the feelings of going through life, living and learning, and then reflecting. Also it made me feel very relaxed. The imagery that came to mind was a nice wooden cabin on a river at the end of a nice summer day at twilight, almost bio-ish.

LOVE the the multi tracking on the vocals! VERY NICE!

Tony Parma
www.myspace.com/DITD1

#11580 by jimmydanger
Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:13 pm
Good job, Alan! I would suggest a different part for the chorus, and maybe a bridge. Songs that have the same riff for the whole tune can get boring.

#11972 by Irish Anthony
Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:26 pm
its not to bad at all,there are a few things i would have done differently but thats just my humble opinion,the vocal is a little flat on the chours but when there is little else happening key wise its hard to express it with vocals,the guitar sound is a little thin but very easily fixed you have the right idea with recording the guitar split left/right (thats how i do it)but you have to be carefull to avoid a phase sound when doing it,the biggest problem i have with it is the drums,they just dont work and seem to trip over themselves now and then ,i think it would sound better without them,or reworked for hand drums or a jembey maybe...
apart from that it works,i hope i havent been too harsh but at least you have had the balls to put it up there and i amire you for that
keep fighting the good fight :)

#12002 by tukrhill
Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:43 pm
Hi ya. I'm new here and don't want to piss anybody off but 40 hrs to mix that song? WOW. Vocals are way out front wich is cool but the guitar needs to be brought out in the mix more as well as the percusion. I like her voice but the rest of the music needs to be brought out more to support it... If that makes sence..
Please don't be mad. I mean no harm... :lol:

#12003 by RhythmMan
Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:09 pm
You think she's too loud?